Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

On 7/27/2022 at 6:56 PM, Princess of Tap said:

With so many people looking up their ancestry and family trees these days, you might be surprised how many classic Hollywood artists are related to famous people in history.

Can you match the ancestor/relative  with the Hollywood Golden Era artist?

X1)BhulbhTeon: A leader of Irish Republicans in the 18th century--His descendant is a prominent Hollywood actor known for roles primarily in the 30s and 40s. He was married to a legendary classic movie star and a 50s starlet--who his association with nearly ended his career and his life.

X2)Aarnoud Jan Anne Aleid: A Gov-Gen of Suriname in the 20th century--He was the grandfather of an iconic movie star actress of the 50s and '60s, who's known for her chic and style.

X3) Jose' Marti: Cuba's National Hero--He was the grandfather of a popular Hollywood supporting actor who worked primarily in the 30s and 40s. He later became a classic TV "villain".

4) XJose Portuondo y Rizo: the 1st Count of Santa Ines in Cuba--He was the distant grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 40s, who later became a classic TV star, producer and director.

5) XCarlo Modini: an international opera singer of prominence in the 19th century--He was the grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 50s who became a classic TV star in the early 60s. The Oscar nominated actor later won an Emmy.

X6) The New York Rubber Company was one of the oldest factories in Beacon, New York, having been founded in 1851. Its president committed suicide in 1922,  jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge--He was the father of a prominent leading man/starring actor in the 1930s. In the 1940s the actor became a critically acclaimed film director.(The name is excluded because it's a giveaway.)

X7) This woman chaired a New England state women's suffrage association and also campaigned with Margaret Sanger for birth control--Her daughter became a legendary movie star of the Golden Era and was also a political activist. (Name excluded)

😎 8)This man was the vice president of one of America's top publishing companies--his daughter became a top actress of the 50s and 60s, marrying an iconic film star of that era. Both continued to act, sometimes as a couple, throughout the 20th century.

9) XJohn Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States. His nephew was Dr. Andrew Bonaparte Calhoun-- Dr. Calhoun's distant granddaughter was a legendary actress and singer of The Golden Era who broke societal barriers by holding a major contract at a top-ranked studio. Unfortunately her political activism resulted in her being blacklisted.

10) XRoger Williams: The Founder of the Rhode Island Colony--He had a descendant who became an independent director/producer who created some of the most original and eccentric films of The Golden Era in a variety of genres. In spite of not attaching himself to any one studio, he was still able to direct some of the top stars of classic film--Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine and Joan Crawford.

When you identify the classic Hollywood artist, feel free to list any of their films that you have enjoyed.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:59 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Update

Only # 8 is left.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:56 PM, Princess of Tap said:

With so many people looking up their ancestry and family trees these days, you might be surprised how many classic Hollywood artists are related to famous people in history.

Can you match the ancestor/relative  with the Hollywood Golden Era artist?

X1)BhulbhTeon: A leader of Irish Republicans in the 18th century--His descendant is a prominent Hollywood actor known for roles primarily in the 30s and 40s. He was married to a legendary classic movie star and a 50s starlet--who his association with nearly ended his career and his life.

X2)Aarnoud Jan Anne Aleid: A Gov-Gen of Suriname in the 20th century--He was the grandfather of an iconic movie star actress of the 50s and '60s, who's known for her chic and style.

3) Jose' Marti: Cuba's National Hero--He was the grandfather of a popular Hollywood supporting actor who worked primarily in the 30s and 40s. He later became a classic TV "villain".

4) Jose Portuondo y Rizo: the 1st Count of Santa Ines in Cuba--He was the distant grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 40s, who later became a classic TV star, producer and director.

5) Carlo Modini: an international opera singer of prominence in the 19th century--He was the grandfather of a Hollywood actor of the 50s who became a classic TV star in the early 60s. The Oscar nominated actor later won an Emmy.

X6) The New York Rubber Company was one of the oldest factories in Beacon, New York, having been founded in 1851. Its president committed suicide in 1922,  jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge--He was the father of a prominent leading man/starring actor in the 1930s. In the 1940s the actor became a critically acclaimed film director.(The name is excluded because it's a giveaway.)

X7) This woman chaired a New England state women's suffrage association and also campaigned with Margaret Sanger for birth control--Her daughter became a legendary movie star of the Golden Era and was also a political activist. (Name excluded)

😎 8)This man was the vice president of one of America's top publishing companies--his daughter became a top actress of the 50s and 60s, marrying an iconic film star of that era. Both continued to act, sometimes as a couple, throughout the 20th century.

X9) John Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States. His nephew was Dr. Andrew Bonaparte Calhoun-- Dr. Calhoun's distant granddaughter was a legendary actress and singer of The Golden Era who broke societal barriers by holding a major contract at a top-ranked studio. Unfortunately her political activism resulted in her being blacklisted.

10) XRoger Williams: The Founder of the Rhode Island Colony--He had a descendant who became an independent director/producer who created some of the most original and eccentric films of The Golden Era in a variety of genres. In spite of not attaching himself to any one studio, he was still able to direct some of the top stars of classic film--Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine and Joan Crawford.

When you identify the classic Hollywood artist, feel free to list any of their films that you have enjoyed.

5 down and 5 to go--it's getting good and tight now.☺️

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

3.  Cesar Romero

4.  Desi Arnaz

5.  Robert Stack

Princess, I think we need more hints for #8.

The artist in question for#8 was married to one of the biggest movie stars of the '50s, '60s and '70s.

She was a great actress, but didn't have his fandom or celebrity status.....

The way #8 is worded is confusing.  It would appear that you're looking for a publishing company executive with a famous actress daughter.  I think you are looking for the daughter and I think it's Joanne Woodward, who was married to Paul Newman.  According to Wikipedia, her father was Wade Woodward, a vice president of Charles Scribner & Sons.

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The way #8 is worded is confusing.  It would appear that you're looking for a publishing company executive with a famous actress daughter.  I think you are looking for the daughter and I think it's Joanne Woodward, who was married to Paul Newman.  According to Wikipedia, her father was Wade Woodward, a vice president of Charles Scribner & Sons.

I think you're right and it is Joanne Woodward.

Thanks Princess, glad Star decided to participate, hope she stays with the thread.

Next 

This child actor received a special Juvenile Oscar for 2 films

The films were totally diffetent. One was a family drama, the other was a noir. Who was the actor and what were the 2 films ??

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess, glad Star decided to participate, hope she stays with the thread.

Next 

This child actor received a special Juvenile Oscar for 2 films

The films were totally diffetent. One was a family drama, the other was a noir. Who was the actor and what were the 2 films ??

Funny how this name just came to me because he's not on my radar or at the top of my mind.

But I know this sad story too well. Bobby Driscoll was an extremely talented youthful actor who had a very sad end.

He received a Juvenile Oscar for two different movies--"So Dear To My Heart"and "The Window".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Funny how this name just came to me because he's not on my radar or at the top of my mind.

But I know this sad story too well. Bobby Driscoll was an extremely talented youthful actor who had a very sad end.

He received a Juvenile Oscar for two different movies--"So Dear To My Heart"and "The Window".

Yes, Bobby Driscoll. Yes a very tragic story for such a talented actor. He was excellent in So Dear To My Heart and excellent in The Window. Wish they taken better care of him in Hollywood

Good work Princess it's your thead.

• Thanks 1

Next:

This actor started out on Broadway as a handsome matinee idol. At the time, few  would have thought that he would have ended up in Hollywood often working in villainous roles and horror movies.

In one horror film his characterization has become popular camp and was recreated in a sequel.

And he was also well known for characterizing a famous literary villain.

But a sex scandal effectively ended his career with the big studios in The Golden Era.

When you identify this actor, also list his two famous film characterizations mentioned above.

You're referring to0 Lionel Atwill.  He played Moriarty in "Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Weapon" and he had an artificial arm and hand in "The Son Of Frankenstein",  

The Son of Frankenstein | Scifist 

That plot device was used in Dr. No.

WHERE'S THE REST OF ME?”: MISSING LIMBS IN THE MOVIES | MULTIGLOM 

And in "Young Frankenstein".

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

You're referring to0 Lionel Atwill.  He played Moriarty in "Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Weapon" and he had an artificial arm and hand in "The Son Of Frankenstein",  

The Son of Frankenstein | Scifist 

That plot device was used in Dr. No.

WHERE'S THE REST OF ME?”: MISSING LIMBS IN THE MOVIES | MULTIGLOM 

And in "Young Frankenstein".

Yes, Lionel Atwill is my favorite Moriarty. I always wondered why he had to be replaced in the role, so sad to find out the truth.

Well, Miles--

I'll mosey on out while you lasso the next question.....

On 8/9/2022 at 1:52 AM, MilesArcher said:

Since it was Maureen O'Sullivan day on TCM today, I was reminded that her Tarzan co-star, Johnny Weissmuller, never made a western movie, but Maureen made two westerns.  Can you name them?

The 2 films are Wild Heritage with Will Rogers Jr and The Tall T with Randolph Scott and Richard Boone

Nice work, Lavender.  You are correct.  Maureen had taken time off from movies in the forties to care for her husband, John Farrow, who had come down with typhoid in the Navy, and to raise her children.  She resumed acting on a part-time basis in the fifties, including some TV appearances.  You're up next, Lavender.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The 2 films are Wild Heritage with Will Rogers Jr and The Tall T with Randolph Scott and Richard Boone

15 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Nice work, Lavender.  You are correct.  Maureen had taken time off from movies in the forties to care for her husband, John Farrow, who had come down with typhoid in the Navy, and to raise her children.  She resumed acting on a part-time basis in the fifties, including some TV appearances.  You're up next, Lavender.

I know both of you are very busy this weekend, but we do have a new Retro now for your perusal.

16 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Lav is still up.....

Thanks Miles

Next

This famous actress co starred in 3 movies with this actor. The famous actress also appeared in a film decades later with the actor's daughter 

What were the 3 films the actress and actor were in together,  who's the daughter and what was the film the 2 actresses were in together ???????