Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

37 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda were in three films together, "The Mad Miss Manton", "The Lady Eve", and "You Belong  To Me".  In 1962 Barbara was in "Walk On The Wild Side' with Henry's daughter, Jane Fonda.  

Yes, you got them all Miles. Good thinking, it's your thread :)

A versatile actress had the distinction of appearing in films with Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, and Abbott and Costello.  She also appeared in movies with both Gene Autry and Roy Rogers, as well as a Tarzan picture and a Jungle Jim movie with Johnny Weissmuller.  She also did a movie with Red Skelton and appeared on his TV show several times.  Can you name her?

No guesses yet?  I'll tell you how you can find the answer.  Johnny Weissmuller did not make that many movies and there were very few women in them except for the ones playing Jane, and this actress is not one of them.   Using IMDB, compare the cast lists of Johnny's Tarzan films with his Jungle Jim films and see who appears in both lists.  Johnny also starred in a non-Tarzan and non-Jungle Jim movie, and this actress was in that one as well.  Good luck!  

Arsan, you've never seen a Gene Autry movie?  Why, in my house that would be, oh I don't know, Sacrilegious!  Yes, it's Virginia Grey.  She started as a child actress in silent movies playing Little Eva in "Uncle Tom's Cabin".  After playing chorus girls in movies of the early and mid-1930's, she found regular work as a leading lady in "B" films and a lead or second lead in "A" films.   She worked in television in her later years.  Her career lasted until the mid-1970's. 

Virginia Grey - Wikipedia 

Here she is with Gene Autry in "Bells Of Capistrano":

https://tubitv.com/movies/594944/bells-of-capistrano

Nice work Arsan.  You get to post the next one.

• Like 1

Thank you, Miles.

Maybe I should find and watch an Audie Murphy movie, and Jungle Jim, too.

Right after an actress won her last Oscar, a reporter asked her if she, who had been a big star for over 30 years,  had any problems with winning the Oscar in the Supporting category, to which the actress replied, "Of course not, maybe next year I'll win Best Song!"

Can you identify this actress?

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That is correct, Lavender.  Some years later, Marlon Brando was paid three million for ten minutes of screen time as Superman's father.  Nice work, Lavender.  The thread is yours.  

Miles, somewhere in the hinterlands I have a "Husband and Wife" thread for your perusal.

Lav is still up.....

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

The only guess I had yesterday was "Alfie", but they had so many beautiful songs. It's only a guess.

Alfie is the correct guess. Burt said that of all the songs he wrote Alfie was his favorite. He also said that what really made that song so beautiful was Hal David's lyric. Hal David never gets enough credit for his outstanding  lyrics I think.  Bachrach and David, what a collaboration that was. We will never see that kind of genius talent again.

Good guess Princess, it's your turn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Alfie is the correct guess. Burt said that of all the songs he wrote Alfie was his favorite. He also said that what really made that song so beautiful was Hal David's lyric. Hal David never gets enough credit for his outstanding  lyrics I think.  Bachrach and David, what a collaboration that was. We will never see that kind of genius talent again.

Good guess Princess, it's your turn

Thanks, I was influenced by a video I saw of him recording Cilla Black singing the song for the movie. It was so impressive--George Martin was producing, they were at Abbey Road and Burt Bacharach was totally flipped out into his music, conducting from the piano.

I'll be back.

This classic actor made only a little more than two dozen films. However his career was notable for the stars that he worked with.

Born in a British Dominion country, he took his place among other British actors in The Golden Age.

Appearing on Broadway before he was 21, he continued in successful roles there until lured to Hollywood in the late 30s by an independent producer.

This gave him an opportunity to work at different studios, usually billed just below top stars, such as--

Clark Gable, Greta Garbo, Merle Oberon, Ginger Rogers, Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne.

Hint#1--Near the end of his career he co-starred in a 1950s cult-classic horror movie.