Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

laffite

1 minute ago, MilesArcher said:

Is it Alan Marshall?  He appeared in "House On Haunted Hill" in the late fifties.  

Excellent, Miles. He was a very good actor who slipped through the cracks. And it's one "L" in his last name too. Maybe that's the way they spell it in Australia.

It's all yours.....

On 8/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Now, in one of his earlier roles, Errol Flynn, in a small part,  had a fight with another actor and lost.  Who was the other actor and what was the movie?  It has been shown on TCM.    

Here's a hint:  It was in a movie series that later became a TV series about a very successful defense attorney. 

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here's a hint:  It was in a movie series that later became a TV series about a very successful defense attorney. 

This is Della Street's ambitious assistant and I'm here to solve this case.

Warren William played Perry Mason in the classic film series. Errol Flynn's first American film appearance was "The Case of the Curious Bride", 1935.

Case closed.

(BTW--I haven't seen this movie but I'm going to give a guess as to who was beating up on the future Warner Bros star, Donald Woods.)

Some Directors like to Rock, Some Directors like to Roll 

Can you identify these film directors who brought iconic rockers to life on film?

Identify the director, the film and the Rock artist(s).

Rock On.....

1) This film director started out as a cinematographer for iconic classic movies in Britain. As a director he worked with top talent like--James Mason, Stanley Holloway, Michael Redgrave and Tom Conway. Then he directed one of the world's top rock groups in a made for TV movie.

2) This man was a classic legendary Hollywood director,  originally from  European Cinema. He notably directed--Boris Karloff, Joan Crawford, Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney. And then he directed a legendary rock singer who came to represent Rock to the world.

3) This man was a Hollywood animation artist who was noted for his colorful comedies with performers like--Dick Powell, Doris Day, Bob Hope and Tony Randall. His Rock movie featured some early Rock pioneers-- including one artist who was in the first group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4) Primarily working in British TV, this director branched out into movies and had a lot of success starting in the late '60s with actors like Anthony Perkins, Glenda Jackson, Richard Chamberlain and Oliver Reed. He directed an avant-garde musical starring several prominent rock artists of the '70s.

5) This director cut his teeth on a film starring a popular British Invasion rock group. Then he went on to make some prominent films starring--Jon Voight, Toshiro Mifune, Sean Connery and Lee Marvin.

That's it--So you can identify the director, the movie and the Rock artist(s).

Rock on.....

#1 is, I believe, Bernard Knowles, who was a cinematographer for Hitchcock in the thirties before becoming a director.  He directed the Beatles in "Magical Mystery Tour" in the sixties, although he did not get screen credit for it.

Magical Mystery Tour (TV Movie 1967) - IMDb 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:59 AM, MilesArcher said:

#1 is, I believe, Bernard Knowles, who was a cinematographer for Hitchcock in the thirties before becoming a director.  He directed the Beatles in "Magical Mystery Tour" in the sixties, although he did not get screen credit for it.

Magical Mystery Tour (TV Movie 1967) - IMDb 

Well Done, Miles. He didn't get screen credit for it because the Beatles had recently lost Brian Epstein and they wanted to prove they could do something on their own. But there's no way they would ever be able to accomplish a film without a veteran director. So it was well known among film people and Beatlemaniacs like myself that Bernard Knowles directed the film.

He was also the phenomenal cinematographer for Hitchcock classics like "39 Steps". And he was the go-to director for Tom Conway in England. He directed Tom in several noir mysteries, including the fan favorite "Barbados Quest".

On 8/30/2022 at 5:35 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Michael Curtiz -  King Creole - Elvis

3. Frank Tashlin - The Girl Can't Help It  -  Little Richard

4. Ken Russell, Tommy, The Who

5. John Boorman  - Catch Us If You Can. - Dave Clark Five 

Lav, the thread is yours. Good show!

It looks like you covered rock and roll from the classic 1950s, through the 60s British Invasion and right up into the heavy metal 70s.

And I'm not ashamed to say that I've Rocked to it all and still do.

This Girl Can't Help It--Rock On!

Thanks Princess.

Next

During filming, 2 films that this multi winning Oscar winning director made had a weird coincidence. In one film one of the co-stars had a heart attack during filming, in the next film by this director the co- star had a heart attack during filming.  He replaced the co-star in the first film but halted the 2nd film for 8 weeks while the co-star in the 2nd film recuperated.  Who was the director,  what were the 2 films, who were the 2 actors and who replaced the actor in the first film ??????

The director was Billy Wilder, and the two films were Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) and The Fortune Cookie (1966).  Peter Sellers had a series of 13 (!) heart attacks during the making of Kiss Me, Stupid, and was replaced by Ray Walston.  Walter Matthau had a heart attack during the making of The Fortune Cookie, but Wilder halted production until Matthau recovered (by which time he had lost 30 pounds).

Yes, Billy Wilder. Peter Sellers was replaced by Ray Walston due to Peter Sellers heart attack during filming of Kiss Me Stupid.

The Fortune Cookie was Billy Wilder's next film  2 years later following Kiss Me Stupid. A strange coincidence,  his co-star Walter Matthau in The Fortune Cookie had a heart attack while filming, only this time Billy halted production for 2 months while Walter recuperated. Billy, Jack and Walter were great friends.

Very good Fausterlitz, your thread.

Rather than hold up the thread any longer, I'll reveal the answer:

They were all awarded papal knighthoods.

Irene Dunne was awarded the title of "Dame of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre."

Bob Hope (1998): "Knight Commander of the Order of St. Gregory the Great"

Ricardo Montalbán (also 1998):  "Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Holy_Sepulchre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St._Gregory_the_Great

-----------------------------

OPEN THREAD

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Some years ago there was a TV series about a blind detective who used his seeing eye dog to help him solve crimes.  What was the name of the show, who was the star, and what was the dog's name?

I always liked James Franciscus. He was Longstreet, with the TV show of the same name, and his German Shepherd was named Pax.

You are correct Princess.  James Franciscus was known to many of us as Mr. Novak, and he was in the second "Planet Of The Apes" movie.  "Longstreet" was only on for one full season, but it was praised for showing what a handicapped person was capable of doing .  

Longstreet (TV series) - Wikipedia

Good work, Princess.  You get the thread. 

• Thanks 1

Next:

This amazing film producer  was responsible for some of the most iconic films in classic Hollywood.  Films that are still revered by the critics, as well as today's public. 

The variety of his output was amazing--slapstick comedies, English historical epics, rock and roll movies, noirs and star vehicles for John Wayne and Bette Davis, just to name two classic stars he worked with.

His first wife was a silent movie actress. And his films were nominated many times for the Oscar but he only won 1 competitive Oscar.

When you identify this man, also give several of his film credits that you have enjoyed.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This amazing film producer  was responsible for some of the most iconic films in classic Hollywood.  Films that are still revered by the critics, as well as today's public. 

The variety of his output was amazing--slapstick comedies, English historical epics, rock and roll movies, noirs and star vehicles for John Wayne and Bette Davis, just to name two classic stars he worked with.

His first wife was a silent movie actress. And his films were nominated many times for the Oscar but he only won 1 competitive Oscar.

When you identify this man, also give several of his film credits that you have enjoyed.

Hint#1--Despite his status as a husband, he had a long-term movie star mistress who made a name for herself in the classic noirs.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--Despite his status as a husband, he had a long-term movie star mistress who made a name for herself in the classic noirs.

Hal B. Wallis ?

There are so many movies that Hal Wallis was involved with that I love  it would take all day to name all of them. Here are just a few,  Casablanca,  The Adventures of Robin Hood, Now Voyager, Love Letters,  Yankee Doodle Dandy and tons more

• Like 1