Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

Thanks, Odessa. At first I was thinking about Raymond Massey in *Abe Lincoln in Illinois*, but I watched the film *Brigham Young* a few months ago, so it lit up the lightbulb!- :)

This Oscar winner was involved in a law suit that was reported to have a had a Huge settlement since there was damage done to their unique talent. Name this Oscar winner and the life changing incident.

Thanks, good trivia question!

During her early days in Hollywood, this iconic silver screen goddess was reputed to have paid the overdue rent of a studio secretary as well as the hospital bill for the child of a studio technician.

She later took under her wing the daughter of a lover who had died young. She also tried to advise the girl?s mother in the matter of the man?s will ? to no avail. But the daughter didn?t care about that, she was much more impressed with the woman?s attempt to fill the void left by the death of her father and the fact that the woman made her feel ?like a princess.?

Who is the screen legend?

Thanks, Eve. I knew that John Gilbert died young and he had a daughter. I also knew that one of his last affairs was with Marlene Dietrich, so maybe it was more of an educated guess. Now:

There is a town in California in the desert about 100 miles east of Los Angeles that was founded, or should I say built, for the purpose of filming western movies and TV shows. It was built in the late 1940's, just when TV westerns were starting to be made. It was the brainchild of three western actors, Roy Rogers, whom you all know, Dick Curtis, who was a character actor who played mostly villains, and a third man. This third actor made his mark in movies playing likeable sidekicks. He also had a ranch in the area and it was at his invitation that several film companies started filming there. This actual town was not a series of facades like you would find on a studio back lot, but actual working buildings. They also built a motel to house the film crews and one of the western buildings housed a bowling alley. Many a western TV show was made there, including The Gene Autry Show, The Cisco Kid, Judge Roy Bean, and The Range Rider. Today, with few westerns being made, it is now a tourist attraction. The question is: who was the third actor to co-found the town, and what is the name of the town? They came very close to calling it Rogersville, after Roy Rogers, but instead gave it another name.

Yes, Eve. Pioneertown is the place. It was named for Roy Rogers' singing group, The Sons Of The Pioneers. The thread is yours, but before you go on to the next question, do you know who that third founding actor was? He made his mark in Hopalong Cassidy movies. His wife was known as Mousie. Take a guess. You might get lucky.

Here?s one:

When this young actor was signed to a studio contract, it was suggested he change his name. He didn?t want to, particularly when the list of names he was given were all interchangeable, for example - Gregory Gordon and Gordon Gregory?Amused, he suggested the name Kent Clark (?I was the only one who thought it was funny?)?he managed to keep his own name and during the course of his career co-starred in a handful of major and minor classics and mediocre films, romanced a legendary beauty as well as a two-time Oscar winning actress. When his Hollywood career waned, he made films in Europe and worked on American TV.

Name the actor and a major and minor classic film in which he appeared?and one of his lady-loves?

This may not be the person you had in mind, but how about Burt Reynolds? The major success would be "Deliverance", and the minor classic would be "Smoky and The Bandit". He romanced two time Oscar winner Sally Field, and he had relationships with Inger Stevens and Dinah Shore. Of course, he was married for a time to Loni Anderson. He did movies in Europe (Navajo Joe, 100 Rifles), as well as the U.S. He also did a lot of television work ( Riverboat, Gunsmoke, Dan August, Evening Shade). The clues fit.

Since you are asking for more information, I assume Farley Granger must be correct. Major classic is STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. Minor classics are ROPE, SIDE STREET, and THEY LIVE BY NIGHT. He had a short, intense affair with Ava Gardner.

Edited by: finance on Feb 17, 2010 10:56 AM