Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

Was elected Mother of Year in 1956 by the City of Hope charity. In that capacity she toured the US raising money and volunteers for that good cause. Yet none of her daughters attended her funeral.

Very often, a Hollywood personality changes his or her name to avoid confusion with another Hollywood personality.....However, there were an actor and a director, both reasonably visible, who had exactly the same name. Their filmographies did not overlap, but they almost did. Who were they?

It can't be Steve McQueen. I said their filmographies almost overlapped.(There is a 28 year gap between actor McQueen's last film and director McQueen's first film).... It can't be Rex Ingram. The filmographies of the 2 Rex Ingrams DID overlap........ For the name I am thinking of, the actor had an earlier career than the director, and the director was better-known. Their filmographies came within about 4 years of overlapping.

Edited by: finance on May 5, 2010 9:47 AM

Edited by: finance on May 5, 2010 3:09 PM

Hint: One of the films in the director's filmography was a film version of a Broadway musical that had been a hit on Broadway almost 18 years earlier. One of the films in the actor's filmography had Ginger Rogers in the cast.

Edited by: finance on May 6, 2010 10:55 AM

Edited by: finance on May 6, 2010 4:47 PM

That's it Lavender. The two Sidney-directed films mentioned in the hints were PAL JOEY and SHOWBOAT. I became aware of the actor George Sidney when I saw the recent TCM airing of Ginger Rogers' RAFTER ROMANCE. Your thread.

There were 2 prominent actresses who co-starred in a major film and also attended the same high school. One of them graduated from that high school. The other did not. Who were they?

Edited by: finance on May 7, 2010 3:02 PM

finance wrote:

There were 2 prominent actresses who co-starred in a major film and also attended the same high school. One of them graduated from that high school. The other did not. Who were they?

Lana Turner graduated from Hollywood High School in 1937.

Gloria Grahame dropped out of Hollywood High School in 1939.

The two stars appeared in "The Bad and the Beautiful" (1952).

Cheers,

Dan

This one appears to be in need of a ruling. I said "co-starred". It is doubtful that Grahame could be said to have "co-starred" in THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, but since this is only a game. take the thread, Dan...........What I had in mind was that both Jane Russell (graduated) and Marilyn Monroe (did not graduate) attended Van Nuys High School in the San Fernando Valley. The two co-starred in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

Edited by: finance on May 8, 2010 10:06 AM

Tell ya what, fi... Keep the thread and give us your next best shot.

You're right, my answer is open to "a ruling." Nowadays, it is not unusual to read that so-and-so is "co-starring" in such-and-such film... even when their role is essentially in support of the main star. But "co-star" has such an impressive cachet, writers use it even when the role in question is NOT a true co-starring role.

What I was thinking, when I submitted Lana Turner and Gloria Grahame, is that since Ms. Grahame received the Academy Award for her role in "The Bad and the Beautiful" (1972), she could be said to be a "co-star" in the film.

One thing you must admit: Your original question was extremely skimpy on detail. There are probably hundreds of actresses that would fit your description... if one were to do an exhaustive search of all the high schools in the land.

Cheers,

Dan