Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

YAYYYYY!!!! Mongo- MY HERO!!!- According to the guesses, everyone was fooling around in Hollywood in the 50's !!

I think that their childhhood (both were so poor) probably had something to do with the attraction. They both had drinking problems. Sad.

Thank You to everyone that gave it a shot. Mongo, it's yours or the thread is open.

Great work, Mongo?

Here?s a bit of trivia?

This award-winning screenwriter often fronted for blacklisted writers?so much so that it has been said it?s hard to judge the level of his own actual talent?

Who is he? Name the film (a campy diva western) he was credited on that was written by another? Who was the other writer?

Thanks, eve. 2 years ago, I did a 21 clues using *Johnny Guitar* as the film. The film is one of my guilty pleasures!

There was a famous future director that had a bit part in a sci-fi thriller that claimed he basically rewrote the screenplay. People who worked on the film said that he only made a few changes to a few lines of dialog. The screenwriter threatened a complaint.So the director backed down. Name the future director and the film involved.

This director was nominated for an Oscar for the screenplay of a film that he directed in the 60's.It was not a sci-fi film. He's directed some tough, bloody films.

The bit part he played in the film I'm thinking of was a meter reader. This film is a much loved classic sci-fi thriller.

Bingo! Sam Peckinpah as the meter reader in the Great *Invasion of The Body Snatchers*.

His obit still gives him writing credit for the film. When Daniel Mainwaring who is credited for the script threatend a complaint with Writers Equity- Peckinpah backed down.RO mentioned that he did some writing for the film So who knows? .Great work, Mudskipper, the thread is yours.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on May 20, 2010 10:39 AM

According to her biography, Esther Williams had an affair with one of her leading man on the set of one of her movies while still married to her first husband. Robert Mitchum's biography also mentions a longer term extra-marital relationship with a younger well-known actress. Can you name the two stars mentioned in each book?

Filmmaker on one of his popular films:

?I wanted to show what happens to young girls who disregard their parents? advice and who confuse patriotism with promiscuity. As I do not work in a church, I tried to adorn my sermon with laughter so that people would go to see the picture instead of staying away from it.?

Filmmaker? Picture?

You are so right, Miles, the filmmaker is Preston Sturges and the film is *The Miracle of Morgan?s Creek*, I was quoting his autobiography (he was working on it, literally, when he died; his wife assembled his materials and published it 30 yrs. later)?and I agree that it?s hilarious and that it?s hard to believe it made it past the censors way back in the day?great job, your thread?

Ah, Gene Autry, the only soldier the army allowed to wear cowboy boots with his uniform. Him and Roy and Rex--they're the ones who brought the west to the rest of the world.. ..Don't you just love the romance in the titles of their movies ?--"Twilight On the Rio Grande"... "Sunset In Wyoming"..."Beyond The Purple Hills"..."Call Of The Canyon"..."Hills of Utah"..."Grand Canyon Trail"..."Springtime In The Sierras"..."Lights Of Old Santa Fe"..."Under Nevada Skies"..."Sunset In El Dorado"... For the most part however, the titles really had nothing to do with the stories which are oftentimes assembly line creations. I wish they had made more films like "The Naked Spur" where one of the stars was the beautiful western scenery...

Now, Miles, "The Phantom Empire" (which I have a copy of) was an early Autry serial that was a Science Fiction-Western-Fantasy hybrid. Many still consider it a western. However, Gene and Smiley Burnette had cameo roles in "Manhattan Merry Go Round", a story about the recording industry set in New York City. I don't know any other.

It's "Manhattan Merry Go Round",(1937) where Gene And Smiley played themselves as radio stars and they sang one song. Incidentally, that movie, which is available at places that sell real cheap DVD's, had several "Guest Stars", including Cab Calloway, Kay Thompson, and a very young Joe DiMaggio, who was in only his second season with the Yankees. You mentioned the great titles which had little to do with the stories in those old westerns. Often, the title of the movie was also the title of a song that the hero sang in the picture. I also have a copy of "The Phantom Empire", and I would categorize it as a sci-fi western. I wonder what ever happened to Betsy King Ross, the "World's Champion Trick Rider". Good job, mudskipper, the thread is yours.

Thanks, Miles....Just three simple questions about a Cary Grant movie:

1. What was the name of the dancing caterpillar ?

2. What was the only tune he danced to?

3. What is the title of the movie ?