Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

sixes wrote:

"Tarzan and the Mermaids" (1948) ?

an ostrich egg

Haven't seen that flick, but Google says it is Cheta, the chimp, that sits on the ostrich egg.

So, "Mermaids" is not the correct answer. And this should be a good time for me to explain that not everything in my question is literally true. If you're trying to come up with the correct answer, consider _all the words_. I say "Tarzan's wife..." but Brenda Joyce was not really his wife, right? Any more than Maureen O'Sullivan was "Tarzan's wife" in the earlier films.

So, here is the question again:

Name the film in which Tarzan's wife sits on an egg.

Cheers,

Dan

I'm guilty of this myself, but don't you hate it when someone begins their question with "Here's an easy one", and then you can't figure it out? I think I finally did. Johnny Weismuller, the best known Tarzan, was once married to Lupe Velez. In the movie "Hollywood Party", she does a "reciprocal destruction" routine with Laurel and Hardy involving eggs and high heeled shoes, and culminating with her sitting on an egg. The movie also has a parody of Tarzan, where Jimmy Durante plays Schnarzan, and Lupe plays Jungle Girl. After she divorced Weismuller, there was a famous newspaper picture of Lupe sitting on a lawn chair with a newspaper opened to the comic strip section. She was reading "Jungle Jim", and the caption said 'Where will she find another Tarzan?"

MilesArcher is....... CORRECT!!!

I'd been pondering whether to return to this thread and amend the question, but still I clung to the hope that somebody out there had the smarts to "figure out" the only possible answer. And someone did.

Congratulations, Miles... Your thread now. Make it a good one.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I seem to be thinking about Shirley Temple movies lately and here's a question about one of them. In her last film as a child for Twentieth Century Fox, Shirley plays the adopted daughter of vaudvillians, who retire from show biz and move to the country so Shirley can have a normal life. In one production number she is seen dancing with the tuxedo-clad actor who plays her adoptive father. They are dancing to one of her better known songs, although mudskipper would probably consider it obscure. In a flashback, we see a much younger Shirley dancing to that same song with a tuxedo-clad actor who was supposed to be the same adoptive father, but was actually another actor in one of her early movies. We do not see his face. Lots of questions now. What was the movie that I described and what was the earlier movie that the flashback was from? Who were the two dancing actors, and what was the song? Here's a major clue. One of the actors later played "The Brooklyn Thrush" in a very well known movie. Please, no partial answers. If we get partial answers then we don't know who gets the next turn. Oh, and one more thing. Unlike Dan's questions, you actually can find the answers to everything in this post on IMDB, but you may have to work at it.

As a guess, I'd say the movie you're asking about is "Young People" (1940).

Shirley Temple's adoptive parents were played by Jack Oakie and Charlotte Greenwood.

The flashback sequence, showing Shirley dancing with her adoptive father, is actually a clip from her earlier film "Bright Eyes" (1934). The man dancing with her is James Dunn, though in the flashback sequence his face is not shown. James Dunn was known as "The Brooklyn Thrush" from his 1945 film, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

And on this I am not sure, but I think the song they are dancing to is "On the Good Ship Lollypop."

Cheers,

Dan

You are partly right, Dan. You got "Young People" with Jack Oakie and Charlotte Greenwood, but the earlier film was not "Bright Eyes", nor was the song "The Good Ship Lollipop". James Dunn is correct. He was not only in "Bright Eyes", but he was in several other movies with Shirley. Would you care to try another movie and song?

You are partly right, Dan. You got "Young People" with Jack Oakie and Charlotte Greenwood, but the earlier film was not "Bright Eyes", nor was the song "The Good Ship Lollipop". James Dunn is correct. He was not only in "Bright Eyes", but he was in several other movies with Shirley. Would you care to try another movie and song?

You know what, Miles? I get the feeling that I'm hogging this thread. Now that you've established the parts of the question I got right, why don't we let someone else have a crack at finishing the rest of it?

I'll catch up later. Have fun.

Cheers,

Dan

Good Work, Skipper! "Baby, Take A Bow" from "Stand Up and Cheer" was such a big hit that the Studio, then called Fox Film, paired James Dunn and Shirley again as father and daughter in a more dramatic story called, oddly enough, "Baby Take A Bow". It was an obvious attempt to lure moviegoers to see it, because the song was not featured in the movie. The only major song in it was "On Account-a I Love You". James Dunn would star in a movie called "Change of Heart" where Shirley had a bit part, and they would be teamed again in "Bright Eyes", which featured the song "On The Good Ship Lollipop". All this happened in 1934, the year that Shirley turned six years old. You can see these songs performed by James Dunn and Shirley on Youtube. Some of the clips have been colorized and the quality is quite good. Now, It's your turn.

Okay, guys, thanks.

Eugene Butler occupies a unique position in Hollywood history. His was a singular achievement, yet the credit for it has, for years, been usurped by another person. The "usurper" is innocent of any actual wrongdoing, but fate has nevertheless dealt Eugene Butler a harsh hand.

Savvy cinema searchers, however, can quickly deduce the truth for themselves.

What was Eugene Butler's singular cinema achievement, and who is the usurper?

Cheers,

Dan

In the early 1930's there was an Eugene Butler who starred with Shirley Temple in the Baby Burlesk one-reel comedy series directed by Charles Lamont, featuring little children in adult situations. He was always the male lead and gets to hug and kiss Shirley, but he was always overshadowed by her. She went on to fame, while he sort of disappeared...I think they were supposed to compete with Little Rascals...Is that the Eugene Butler you are referring to ?

mudski wrote:

In the early 1930's there was an Eugene Butler who starred with Shirley Temple in the Baby Burlesk one-reel comedy series directed by Charles Lamont, featuring little children in adult situations. I think they were supposed to compete with Little Rascals...Is that the Eugene Butler you are referring to ?

Yes, that's the one. He appeared in those early 1930s short films, all produced by the Fox Film Corporation.

What I'm asking is this: What is Eugene Butler's singular achievement in film history? Remember I said that a different actor always gets credit for this, but the achievement was really Eugene's.

Cheers,

Dan

I see what you mean now...Eugene Butler gave Shirley Temple her first screen kiss in the Baby Burlesk short "War Babies"(1932) , a feat that's usually credited to Dickie Moore in the film "Miss Annie Rooney" (1942)...

mudski wrote:

I see what you mean now...Eugene Butler gave Shirley Temple her first screen kiss in the Baby Burlesk short "War Babies"(1932) , a feat that's usually credited to Dickie Moore in the film "Miss Annie Rooney" (1942)...

mudskipper is... RIGHT!!! As a matter of fact, Eugene Butler not only gave Shirley Temple her first screen kiss, but her second, her third, her... ahhh, but Dickie Moore always gets the credit.

And in case you're wondering: NO, I don't think two four-year-old kids enjoy kissing each other. They probably just tried to get the scene over with as soon as possible. It's just a mechanical activity, with them.

Cheers,

Dan