Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

Thanks.

I can?t think of Robert Stack without thinking of Carole Lombard, who made To Be or Not to Be together, which was released after her death. But Ms. Lombard had been signed to do another film. An actress, who would win an Oscar in three years, was asked to play her part. The other actress did and donated her salary to the Red Cross, who had helped in the aftermath of the plane crash. When this actress found out her own agent took out his usual 10% commission, she fired him.

Name the actress and the film in which she replaced Ms. Lombard.

A well known director/writer/actor/producer/critic had this to say about one of the his early films:

?____________ was inconceivable without Karloff. The film?s story evolved directly from Karloff?s very existence, from his amazing longevity as a star of horror films.?

Who is he, what film is he talking about?

Well?I don?t have much either, but here?s one?

This underrated cinematographer started out as the chauffeur for the founder of Vitagraph Pictures?he worked behind the scenes for years before becoming a D.P. for RKO?Oscar-nominated for a mainstream hit (regarded as a classic today), he also worked on an iconic film noir?who is he?

He most certainly is?Nick Musuraca was Oscar-nominated for *I Remember Mama*, was the cinematographer on *Out of the Past*?his other credits include *The Spiral Staircase*, *Deadline at Dawn* (!), *The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer*, *Clash by Night*, *The Blue Gardenia*, *Susan Slept Here* and many, many TV shows? his career spanned 1923 - 1966?it?s all yours, Miles?

Thanks, Eve. I got lucky on this one. I knew you were reviewing the Warner Bros. new noir set, so I decided to look at the crew of some of them. The first one I looked at was "Deadline At Dawn". It was easy from there. Now, speaking of cinematographers, there is a well known cinematographer whose career in movies spanned six decades, not all as a cinematographer, but the last thirty or so years of his career was where he built his reputation. He started out working for Michael Powell and then for David Lean. In the 50's he became a particular favorite of John Huston. He would work for Huston on eight movies. He was very versatile, filming musicals, adventure stories, several spy thrillers, and even a movie with the Muppets. He did a couple of movies with Laurence Olivier and a couple with Elizabeth Taylor. He was Oscar nominated three times and won once, and that was for a musical. Do you know who he is?

Gotta be Oswald Morris.

Morris was nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar for three (3) films: "Oliver!" (1968), "Fiddler on the Roof" (1971), and "The Wiz" (1978).

He had a long career, beginning in 1932 and culminating (apparently) in 1982, with "The Dark Crystal."

Interestingly, the IMDb shows that Oswald Morris was born in November 1915, but it does not show if he ever died. If Morris still with us, he would now be 94.

Cheers,

Dan

Good work, Dan. You've got it all, and quickly, too! Behind the scenes people on movie crews can be virtually unknown to the average moviegoer. Just as an aside, there was a fellow named Oswald Morris at a place where I once worked. When I told him I had seen his name on several movie credits, he had no idea what I was talking about. When I explained that it was Oswald Morris, the cinematographer, he still had never heard of him. Your turn, Dan.

Here's a quickie, and I KNOW that this one is known to many of you here, so no complaining that it's too tough, okay?

Name the actor who won an Oscar for a role that was first offered to a relative of his, who turned it down.

Cheers,

Dan

This actor with a very famous sister was better known for his scandalous lifestyle that included alcohol, drugs, and womanizing, than his acting in mostly B pictures in which he was portrayed as a wholesome American young man. Even during his stint in the military during WWI he came up with a scheme that helped rich young men pay bribes to avoid military service as well as providing women for officers. True to his womanizing ways this actor was married three times and all three times to actresses that had once been Ziegfeld girls. One of his wives met a tragic death during a second honeymoon in Paris. Who is this actor with the shocking lifestyle and far more famous sister?

Actress Gail Patrick, who you may remember from "Stage Door" and "My Favorite Wife", later became executive producer of the "Perry Mason" TV series. In the late forties and early fifties she had another business interest that catered to children in Hollywood. What was that business?

Actually, her specialty was doll clothes. There was a short film on the old AMC showing Brian Donlevy and his daughter, Maureen O'Sullivan with little Maria (Mia) Farrow and Edgar and Candice Bergen all shopping at Gail Patrick's home. Your turn, finance.