Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

Fi--this isn't some sports game--

The last person to name the correct answer was Mr. 6 --he's up next, you're not.

Please stop taking turns that don't belong to you.

And this isn't the first time this has happened, but I hope it will be the last time.

Edited by: cujas on Aug 24, 2010 5:37 PM

Not true. Mudskipper was the last one to give the correct answer. He hadn't come up with a question for a while, so I gave him a wave. Mr. 6s usually uses that language, so I thought that mudskipper mistakenly thought that Mr. 6s had given him the wave. I had no intention of "stealing" this thread. I thought of a question and posed it. Period. Your comments are totally inapproppriate, cujas.

James Garner and Steve McQueen are correct. I was also thinking of Clint Eastwood. Your thread,6s.

Edited by: finance on Aug 25, 2010 9:21 AM

Edited by: finance on Aug 25, 2010 9:38 AM

Edited by: finance on Aug 25, 2010 10:17 AM

I disagree--I gave the last question and 2 people answered in part. If the 1st person didn't want the question, then the 2nd correct participant deserved to be consultated, which you did not do.

But, You, Finance, were in no way involved in the question. You answered nothing. You are simply butting in and trying to take turns, even though you didn't know the answer.

Mr. 6--your turn:

I apologize for any confusion. I didn't know from consolation prizes, since I hadn't followed the previous question. ....... To get back to the business at hand, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE?

Edited by: finance on Aug 26, 2010 11:11 AM

Edited by: finance on Aug 26, 2010 11:27 AM

Edited by: finance on Aug 26, 2010 1:53 PM

There were two actors of the classic film period with the same-sounding last name, with different spellings. One was a major film actor. The other appeared occasionally in films, but was better-known on Broadway, where he was a mainstay both in front of and behind the camera. He was also seen frequently on TV........Name the two actors.

Thanks. Here are descriptions of five roles played by one actress. A fatally flirtatious ranch foreman's wife; a New England doctor's frightened daughter who becomes insane; a share-cropper's gallant, tireless wife; a social-climbing ex-racketeer's beloved Daisy; mother to a town's most beautiful girl, whose life is disrupted on labor day weekend. Can you name the actress who played all these roles and the five movie titles?

This is a sad story about 2 women with "The Man That Got Away" playing in the background.

Two women--one a Movie Star the other a housewife and mother. They both lose their Movie Star husbands to another woman, who is also a Movie Star.

The Movie Star wife's husband had his affair in the late 40's. Their was no immediate divorce.

Then the Movie Star went on to have a very public affair with the non-pro wife's husband in the very late 40's and early 50's. This second affair resulted in the housewife's divorce, as the 2 Movie Stars wed.

Years pass--the 2 wronged wives become friends. The Movie Star one dies and this housewife friend is at her bedside when she dies in the 90's.

Today only the "wronged" housewife of the Movie Star is alive.

Caveat--except for the housewife, these movie stars were as big as they come.

Please name all principals in this story.

Edited by: cujas on Sep 2, 2010 5:52 PM

Edited by: cujas on Sep 2, 2010 5:53 PM

To re-capitulate--"The road gets tougher, it's lonlier and rougher--

Femme Fatale Movie Star has affairs with 2 male Movie Stars in the late 40's.

1st one--the wife is also a movie star. But The couple doesn't immediately divorce over it.

2nd one--the wife is a housewife, and the couple does divorce in a scandlous mess. Femme Fatale does marry this male movie star.

Fast Forward--the 2 "wronged" wives become friends to the end.

The "housewife" one is at the movie star wife's bedside when the actress dies in the '90's.

Both wives never remarried and never got over losing their husbands. These two held the eternal torch.

Only the "housewife' is alive today. Other 4 are legendary Golden Age Stars.

Please name all 5 principals.

Edited by: cujas on Sep 3, 2010 5:12 PM

Edited by: cujas on Sep 3, 2010 5:53 PM

Here's what I think. Ava Gardner had an affair with Robert Taylor while he was still married to Barbara Stanwyck. He later divorced Barbara and married Ursula Theiss. Ava moved on to Frank Sinatra, who divorced his non-pro wife, Nancy, and married Ava. Nancy and Barbara became good friends. Did you know that Barbara Stanwyck died just five days before Ava Gardner died in January 1990?.

Miles--what can I say about you that you don't already know!

The only thing I'll add just for an addendum is that somehow--things are getting tight-- Lana Turner got in on some of that Taylor action and actually caused that divorce later. Some said the combo of Gardner and Turner cause Stanwyck to attempt suicide.

And Miles it's all yours--

Thanks. In the 1940's, a female musical actress made a handfull of movies. A couple of them were with one of the top male musical stars of the era. She never became a major movie star, however, but she did go on to become one of Broadway's all time greats. She appeared in some of Broadway's best loved musicals, and in the fifties she starred in a live musical play on television that was very well received. Some years later, her only son appeared on a TV show with the only daughter of that top male musical star that I referred to. The TV show became one of the most talked about TV shows of all time. Can you name the musical actress and actor and their children that worked together, as well as the famous TV show that I referred to?

In the 1940s, Mary Martin appeared with Der Bingle in a few musicals, among them "Rhythm On The River", "Birth Of The Blues" and "Star Spangled Rhythm". She then went on to become a great Broadway star...

Fast forward to "Dallas" in the 1980s. The big question was "Who shot J.R.?", who, of course, was played by Larry Hagman...Ms Martin's son. Apparently, he was shot by "Kristin Shepard", played by Mary Crosby...Bing and Kathryn's daughter.

I must be making these too easy. Yes. Mr. Muddy, It was Mary Martin. In the fifties she did a live television production of "Peter Pan". The "Who Shot J.R.?" episode of "Dallas" was a season ending cliff-hanger. Viewers had to wait until the new season to find out that it was Mary Crosby. Here's something you may not have known. When Barbara Bel Geddes left "Dallas" for health reasons, she was replaced by Donna Reed as the mother of the Ewing boys. Mary Martin was offered the role first, but turned it down. Your turn, Skip.