Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little known movies you love and would recommend

My list would start with

Friends (1971) Elton John music (romance)

Missouri Breaks (1976) Marlon Brando/ Jack Nicholson (western)

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue (1969) Jason Robards/Stella Stevens (western)

Fritz The Cat (1972) R-rated cartoon

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993) Gary Oldman/Lena Olin (crime drama)

And yours are?

Indochine (1992) -Tragic love story featuring Catherine Deneuve and Vincent Perez.

http://www.videodetective.com/?PublishedID=4625 (trailer for those interested)

The Burning Season (1994) -True story of Chico Mendes, the Brazilian environmentalist featuring Raul Julia. I have to say there is a repulsive nude scene in this film which shouldn't have been added.

The Indian Tomb (1921) -Exotic film featuring tigers, mysticism, and malice from the excellent Conrad Veidt. This one is very different from normal silents.

Metsfan

I couldn't agree more with your suggestion of "Indochine". That fim is excellent. Catherine Deneuve was nominated for her performance and I was rooting for her. One scene that comes to mind is her daughter and Vincent Perez are escaping and on the boat for days and hungering for thirst. He gently squeezes the last drops of water on her lips so gently and empathetically and it moves me every time. The ending is a clincher for me, gets me every time and I've owned this film on dvd for years.

Two other forgotten gems are

1990 "Europa Europa"

1995 "Farinelli"

Ill name a few

The Bat Whispers - remake of the silent Bat with Chester Morris

The Kennel Murder Case ( a friend of mine recommended this, boy this is great!!)

Quicksand - Mickey Rooney

Tomorrow at Seven

Monster of Venice aka The Embalmer

The Mad Executioners

Fellowship of the Frog

Kitty Bellairs, a flirtatious young woman of 18th Century England, cuts a swath of broken hearts and romantic conquests as she visits a resort with her sister. [imbd.com]

Talk about quaint. Sweet Kitty Bellairs (1930) starring unknown Claudia Dell in the title role. I remember seeing this some time ago and liking it very much. It's just a puff piece, nonesensical but charming. Walter Pidgeon looks so young in this picture you might not recognize him. This has played on TCM but don't hold your breath waiting for it. But if it does come up, have a look.

DIAL 1119 (1950): A film noir that was unknown to me and seen a couple of weeks ago. It is now in my Top 10 (15?) noirs. Directed by Gerald Mayer, who directed about 8 movies and tons of TV shows, from The Millionaire to Lou Grant. Andrea King is a floozie. The ubiquitous Leon Ames is a wannabe ladies' man. William Conrad is Chuckles (who else?) the bartender. And the star is Marshall Thompson, the psychopath who holds them hostage. The opening 15 or so minutes is an incredible use of background noise and minimalist dialog.

Sounds exciting, I must watch it someday. Leon Ames portraying a ladies man and held hostage by a psychopath, how funny! He's one of my favorite actors so it should be entertaining with the bizarre storyline which I already love. Thanks!

Another great seldom seen noir, although a little past the "golden age", is *BLAST OF SILENCE*. Directed by and starring *Allen Baron*. *Lionel Stander* voice-overs. *Larry Tucker* appearance. About an independent hit man, but it is the atmosphere -- not the plot -- that makes this one of the great films noir. It goes beyond the usual noir existentialism into complete and utter bleakness and nihilism. Rarely shown on TV, it has been available through "5 Minutes to Live", but -- and this is truly exciting -- Criterion is releasing it in April. Opening narration:

You were born with hate and anger built in. Took a slap in backside to blast out the scream. Then you knew you were alive....Later you learned to hold back the screams and let out the hate and anger in other ways.

• 2 weeks later...

The Second Face from 1950 with Ella Raines, Bruce Bennett, and Rita Johnson.

Ella plays a fashion designer who is unattractive to be polite. She finds a lot of doors closed to her because of the way she looks. Ella gets into an accident and a plastic surgeon rebuilds her face. And now she is gorgeous. She sets out to wreak revenge on all those men who treated her like crap and made fun of her because she was homely before. And now all of these men are begging to go out with her. But one of her older, rich beaus pulls her aside and tells her revenge will not make her happy in the end. What will she do?? Will there be a happy ending?? There's also two tons of drama before Ella gets into the accident. Great movie with a great message. I purchased a vhs copy off of Movies Unlimited.com two years ago.

• 9 months later...

My favorite little known film has got to be "The Ritz" (1976) With Jack Weston, Rita Moreno, F. Murray Abraham, Kay Ballard, Jerry Stiller, and Treat Williams...

It's a bit dated as far as the times now, but the non-stop humor makes it a classic to me..

Not sure if these are little known, but they are little shown - two Hayley Mills films, *Whistle Down the Wind* with Alan Bates, and *The Chalk Garden* with Deborah Kerr. Also, my favorite film noir, Don Siegel's *The Lineup* with Eli Wallach, which TCM has shown.

• 2 months later...

I recently saw The Valley Of Decision and have been telling everyone I know to watch it. I hope TCM runs it again soon. It's Gregory Peck and Greer Garson. I had never heard of it but liked it a lot.

I don't know if this is considered "little known" but people always don't know what I'm talking about when I ask them if they've seen it. You have got to see On Borrowed Time. It stars Lionel Barrymore and it's funny and sad and very enjoyable. I love this movie for some reason.

Heavenly Creatures - I don't know how "little known " it is since Kate Winslet has become a big star, but it was her breakout movie and she was excellent in it. An incredibly well done movie, the true story of a matricide in New Zealand, it's well worth viewing.

Another - A Dark Adapted Eye

A tv movie starring Helena Bonham Carter. A stunningly dark movie about one sister murdering another and being executed for it in early 1950's England. True story.

Well, I guess I like movies abt relatives murdering each other, but seriously, these two movies are excellent.

I have two others - A Private Function starring Maggie Smith

Hubby and I always refer to it as the "pig movie" because it's about food rationing in England after WWII and the efforts to keep the whereabouts of Miss Piggy (well-played by a very attractive sow) a secret.

A Chorus of Disapproval - About an English little theatre group, their trials and tribulations. Co-starring Jeremy Irons and Anthony Hopkins, it's hilarious.

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> Heavenly Creatures - I don't know how "little known " it is since Kate Winslet has become a big star, but it was her breakout movie and she was excellent in it. An incredibly well done movie, the true story of a matricide in New Zealand, it's well worth viewing.

>

I think that's an excellent movie, not just because of the performances, which are very good, but also for Peter Jackson's excellent use of imagery to give the movie a somewhat surrealist touch.

Here are movies no one seems to have ever heard of, but some of you may have seen them, so sorry if they're not obscure enough.

*Lili* (with Leslie Caron)-- This movie instantly makes me happy no matter what. The songs, the puppets, Leslie Caron is SO amazing and believable!

*Les Demoiselles de Rochefort* --- another Catherine Deneuve movie, less known than it's counterpart Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, but I love it far more. People singing and dancing to jazz ALL the time! It's so light hearted and fun and wonderful!

*Shadow Magic* (2000)- again, so uplifting and interesting, partially foreign language, and about an interesting piece of history

*What a Way to Go!* (1968)--this movie is hilarious--Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin, Paul Newman, Dick Van Dyke, Robert Cummings, Robert Mitchum, and the wonderful Gene Kelly. A woman gets married to poor people and they become rich and die. With every marriage she says "it was like a silent movie"--a different movie every time. So Shirley and Gene get to dance together. I love this movie.

These movies aren't obscure to me, so it's hard to remember them all.

Message was edited by: LonesomePolecat because I thought of some more

It might depend on your definition of 'little known,' but some of my favorites that you probably won't find at Blockbuster or see very often on the usual channels:

*A Boy and His Dog* (based on an Ellsion story)

*If I Were King* (Ronald Coleman at his charming best)

*Jewel Robbery* (William Powel as a gentleman thief with an interesting 'tool' in his arsenal)

*My Neighbor Totoro* (an animation classic from the best filmaker in the world)

*The Hidden Fortress* (a Japanese comedy/drama/war/caper/martial arts flick)

*Killer Condoms* (a scientist crosses a rubber tree with a Venus fly-trap)

*All That Jazz* (how 'what it takes to stay on top' brings you down)

. . . and about a hundred others. :)

I highy recommend *84 Charing Cross Road* (1986) with the wonderful Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins. It is very charming and really captures the flavor of wartime NYC and London. Also on my list is the wonderful *Close to my Heart* (1951) with Gene Tierney and Ray Milland. They play a married couple interested in adopting a child. This is now available on DVD from the new Warner Bros. archive!! My copy arrived a few days ago. Another movie I adore is *The Blue Veil* (1950) with Jane Wyman and Joan Blondell. A real winner, but sadly unavailable on DVD.

HERE'S A SHORT LIST OF SOME OF MINE

MAKE MINE MINK...hillarious (Brit style)

GAL YOUNG'UN......great revenge flic

BAGDAD CAFE.......feel good

RING OF BRIGHT WATER...wonderful animal-lover flic

LES VIOLONS DU BAL...great film within a film

81/2........................Fellini autobiography

GIULIETTA DEGLI SPIRITI....Fellini fantasy

RIFFIFFI...great French caper flic.

MME. ROSA...Signoret at her best

THE GO-BETWEEN...Brit classic

THE PASSENGER...Nicholson, Antonioni...great!

THE PAWNBROKER...one of the greatest performances ever put on film.

MR. KLEIN...wartime shenanigans

DAYS OF HEAVEN...a visual feast

Capuchin---I love Miyazaki too! It reminds me to recommend these Miyazaki's:

Most people know Princess Mononoke and his oscar winner Spirited Away , but my favorite is *Howl's Moving Castle* . I also would recommend *Porco Rosso* ,*Whisper of the Heart* , and my other all time favorite *Castle in the Sky* , which has one of the greatest beginnings ever.

My all time favorite is "Liii." It is a movie that one could watch over and over again and never get enough. One would think of it as a children's film because of the puppets, but it is so much more complex. it is a study of human nature. Very interesting to watch the very multi faceted characters that play in this film. Leslie Caron as Lili shines sublimely to perfection in this movie with her innocence and depth of charactor

Another film I love is, "You can Never Tell". A movie with Dick Powell. It is about a dog who has been murdered and come back to life as a human to solve the mystery of his death. A fantastic film noir, fantasy mystery, flick