Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A VERY Special April Guest Star at The Silver Screen Oasis

With respect, SSO is imposing ludicrous restrictions on what can, and can not be asked during Mister Brownlow's visit, which kind of defeats the whole purpose? Plus you have to have approval ahead of time to ask anything at all! I am far from Happy with this! In so doing, they are bound to potentially alienate allot of people! So I just don't get it?

The very first question anyone should ask is why are so few of the Thames Silents/Channel Four Silents Photo-play Productions restorations on official DVD??? And why in the heck can't the Photo-play Productions Carl Davis scored version of WINGS be run on TCM???

"With respect, SSO is imposing ludicrous restrictions on what can, and can not be asked during Mister Brownlow's visit, which kind of defeats the whole purpose? Plus you have to have approval ahead of time to ask anything at all! I am far from Happy with this! In so doing, they are bound to potentially alienate allot of people! So I just don't get it?" ~Gagman66

Gagman66 is referring to a request that we submit questions to *Kevin Brownlow* next week April 14-18, 2008 through our moderators at the SSO. If you're interested,

you can read the specifics of this request *here*.

Dear Gagman,

The request for questions to be posted in the manner that we are asking at the SSO is intended to:

a.) Allow Mr. *Brownlow* to answer as many questions from as many different posters as possible in a relatively brief period.

b.) As a busy professional with many responsibilities, he is under _no_ obligation to visit with us. Since the SSO is a non-profit site, he is visiting us out of a generosity of spirit, without remunerative compensation of any kind.

c.) Given the fact that *Kevin Brownlow* will be posting from the other side of the world with a considerable time difference from most of our posters in the U.S., this allows our visitor the time to review and answer thoughtfully and in a timely manner.

d.) Since you've posted what you've phrased as the "very first questions" anyone should ask, I will be glad to submit them for you, though it would be best if the protocol that we are asking is used. Other questions from you and anyone else will be welcome by our moderators when they are submitted as we respectfully requested.

We are privileged to have an individual whom I regard as the foremost film historian in the world with us. Let's treat Mr. *Brownlow* like the honored guest he is while he's with us. We really appreciate the participation of all in this event and look forward to your understanding, as well as a lively appreciation of the topics to be discussed. Thank you.

I can see Jeff's disappointment in not having Brownlow as a "live" guest on the SSO message board, but it's a rare chance to have some interaction with the biggest name in film history and restoration (IMO).... I hope he responds to the question I sent.

The biggest "fault" in having to post questions is that there's probably no chance to ask a follow-up question.

"I can see Jeff's disappointment in not having Brownlow as a "live" guest on the SSO message board, but it's a rare chance to have some interaction with the biggest name in film history and restoration (IMO).... I hope he responds to the question I sent. ~drednm

I'm pretty thrilled just to have a chance to ask any question of Mr. B., even if we need to modify our method of submitting queries just a bit.

The biggest "fault" in having to post questions is that there's probably no chance to ask a follow-up question." ~drednm

I'll certainly try to ask follow-up questions whenever possible, as I'm sure that the other moderators will as well. We'd like as many people as possible to ask as much as is feasible, and it's certainly understandable that individuals as interested and well-informed as you might have more than one question. We are _so_ lucky to have this opportunity.

Jeffrey is totally right...

I didn't have an intention to participate before, and I don't have it right now. Mr. B. is unquestionably one of the very best film historians.

Yet he would never be able to provide answers for my questions... as usual, I stilll have to find those answers myself.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> With respect, SSO is imposing ludicrous restrictions on what can, and can not be asked during Mister Brownlow's visit, which kind of defeats the whole purpose? Plus you have to have approval ahead of time to ask anything at all! I am far from Happy with this! In so doing, they are bound to potentially alienate allot of people! So I just don't get it?

The restrictions are at Mr. Brownlow's request, and we are more than happy to accomodate him.

JonParker,

Please note, No offense was intended. I was just so taken aback by this, and I mis-understood the circumstances. Please accept my sincere apologies.

That being said, I submitted my first questions to the board for approval, and thus far have received no response???

Izcutter,

I don't seem to be making allot of friends here lately, but I just watched Abel Gance NAPOLEON (1927) again for the first time in 3 years. I am afraid that I completely disagree with you that the Carmine Coppalla score isn't any good! I think it's fantastic! Although granted some of the early scenes might be slightly over-orchestrated?

The print is also quite excellent for a 1981 restoration! And Brownlow actually started restoring this feature back in 1975! So it took several years to complete the initial project. Definitely one of the greatest Motion Pictures ever made!

On the downside, the film clearly moves much to fast at 24 frames per second though most of the time. This is not the right speed for NAPOLEON, though I understand why it had to be that way for a theatrical release in 1981.

Why can't they compromise on a DVD collection containing both the older restoration with the Coppalla score, and the newer one, with the Carl Davis score? What's wrong with that idea??? Petty Anxt over who's score is the best is a silly reason for this Masterpiece to be with-held from the public!

Hey, did anyone catch the add's? TCM is now promoting the Prime-Time Premier of Gance long un-seen LE ROUE (1923) on April 27th heavily! I think this is wonderful! Can't wait to see it!

The question of the Napoleon restoration is probably one that's not going to be answered by Mr. Brownlow during his visit. As i understand it, the whole thing is being held up by Coppola, and I doubt if Brownlow is going to want to publicly trash him.

Not that he doesn't deserve it.

Thanks for the head up on Le Roue. I hadn't seen the ads, and I want to be sure not to miss that one.

I certainly agree that this is an AMAZING chance to ask a question of one of the greats.

I got a response saying I can post my question on the SSO message board.... I guess I'll have to go back and read the rules (LOL).... I thought Brownlow was "filtering" the questions he wanted to answer, so I guess I don't understand the process yet....

Brownlow wrote the intro to Bessie Love's memoir and tells a very funny story about when Bessie Love came to visit during or right after WW II...

Ed,

I don't get the process yet either. They told me that my first question would be addressed the second day, but I don't understand what they consider to be my first question???

Is it the lack of DVD releases of the Thames Silents/Channel Four Silents/Film 4 Silents presentations in general? Or is it if the Photo-play Productions WINGS will ever be shown on TCM? And if no, why not? I considered it all as part of the same inquiry? But they replied that I asked Four questions? Since I through THE GODLESS GIRL in there and such?

Then they said I had to submit every other question in advance later on, before I could address it to Mister Brownlow? Well, I thought they said that they would be addressing all of our questions to him on other people's behalf? So now I am totally confused with just what is going on?

Ed,

Well, I suppose that is basically the first question that Brownlow get's all the time is "So when are some of these Movies you and your compnay restored finally coming out on DVD? " For all the good that the man has achieved the Fruit's Of His Labor's are mighty Slim Pickens at the present time? Thus His legacy is not being adequately perpetuated! But I am pretty sure that I have not been the first, nor will I be the last to inquire about the matter this time around.

The question of what is going on with the Photo-play restoration of WINGS is a topical one, with another broadcast of the film scheduled for next month. I want to know why the version his company restored is still in limbo, hasn't even aired in the States, and if the situation can be, will change? Has TCM obtained the rights or what? Getting it on TCM would at least be a positive first step towards a DVD release in the future.

I also mentioned that Brownlow according to that article I turned up a few months ago, was in-fact the guy that discovered the forgotten Camera Negative of THE BIG PARADE at George Eastman House, sometime between 1998, and 2001? I do not have the exact year? We do know that the restoration was completed in 2004. So if anyone knows if the Two-Strip Technicolor footage is still around, it would definitely be him!

here's my question....

Mr. Brownlow..... Many of us ardent silent film fans have pondered the fate of restored films (HER WILD OAT, THE BARKER, FINE MANNERS, STAGE STRUCK, etc.) that reside in vaults and are hardly ever shown. And even when the films are shown at UCLA or Eastman House, etc., few of us can simply pack up and go to see them. I was lucky enough to be able to go to Eastman House and seen 5 rare Gloria Swanson films; most film buffs can't do this.

Question: what can we ordinary fans do to encourage the DVD release of these rare films so that the films can be seen?

Ed,

Hey, I got a really horrible bootleg of Alan Dwan's STAGE STRUCK (1925) with Gloria Swanson, from David a couple weeks ago. Has that same goofy counter running throughout such as THE CARDBOARD LOVER did! So probably from Forgotten Films? I assume that Paramount still owns STAGE STRUCK, but it could very well be an Orphaned film???

Didn't realize THE BARKER was a Silent? I thought it was an early talkie?

THE BARKER was a goat gland and mostly silent.... STAGE STRUCK at Eastman House was mint perfect and sharp with GORGEOUS color sequences.... does your copy have the color opening and ending?

Ed,

Yes, I remember your saying that the film looked beautiful and all. Wasn't it just restored a couple years ago or so?

I have only gotten throught the first 5 or 6 minutes, but I think David said that it had the Technicolor footage, though it was all washed out and drab?

Not sure at all when it was restored since it's never been shown or publicized that I know of.... it just sits in a vault in Rochester. The color on the Eastman House copy was dazzlingly perfect even though it was 2-strip color, and the color close-up of Swanson in some sort of Egyptian get-up (from Aida?) was just breathtaking even though the color (primarily reds and greens) turned her blue eyes into a golden colored brown.

I knew there was a STAGE STRUCK bootleg of some kind although I don't know why the timer thing is there.... the Marion Davies films I have with timers were from forbidden films but I don't know where they would have gotten them since they also did trades.... the timer thing was on THE FAIR CO-ED and THE CARDBOARD LOVER? I can't remember now.... maybe just CO-ED....

It seems someone also mentioned a bootleg of Swanson's FINE MANNERS at some point.... ???

I have been reading Mr. Brownlow's answers, it sure is great to have someone still with us with that type of knowledge! When I read his answers to gagman66, a light bulb came on. I could not agree more with him when he mention's "film rights". If these giant production company's are all of a sudden concerned with holding onto their "rights", why did'nt they care when these films were thrown in the trash, rotting away, or catching fire? Are these multi - billion dollar corporations afraid they may be cheated out of a few hundred or thousand dollars if they let anyone release a silent print to the public? I am not sure if ridiculous is the proper word to use, more like stupidity or greed! How many films are deteriorating in vaults as we speak. As for the Library of Congress, it is not owned by the government, it is owned by the PEOPLE. It's holdings should be for the people, in public domain, as Mr. Brownlow states, and he is 100% right! Shame on the U.S. patent office for bowing down to the corporate attorney's and shame on the library of Congress for keeping the peoples property private. These corporations are going to fight and argue until they finally come to an agreement when its too late, and the cans of nitrate are nothing more than puddle's of goo. A true shame!

nosound,

I agree that if the studios are going to let the movies, even the indispensible ones like THE COVERED WAGON, THE BIG PARADE, WHAT PRICE GLORY?, SEVENTH HEAVEN, WINGS, STREET ANGEL, Etc, sit and rot, than they should relinquish all rights to these films entirely! In most cases, this should have already been done years ago. What they are doing is nothing short of criminal! I mean, If I destroyed a great Art work in a Museum someplace, I would be arrested and thrown in Jail, and in my opinion what company's like Paramount, Fox and Universal, are doing is infinitely worse than this! Even Warner's has been slow getting most of the better Silent's that they own the rights to out on DVD!

I continue to be befuddled that Fox actually produced a DVD version of Frank Borzage's 7TH HEAVEN four years ago with commentary track, and it remains un-released to this day? STREET ANGEL is of even more interest! How I have longed to see a nicely restored print of this Masterwork! And what about F. W. Murna's CITY GIRL that seems to exist in virtually pristine condition, as the clips shown in the BORZAGE AND MURNA AT FOX DOCUMENTARY, found on the excellent Edition Film Museum Region 2 DVD release of THE RIVER (1928), reconstruction reveal!

Many of us are losing patience with Warner's too, we keep asking about potential King Vidor, and Marion Davies, DVD set's for example, allot of us feel that these are long over-due already! But such projects appear to be no more than "Wishful Thinking" at this time. I respect that Warner's has had allot of the films restored, but an occasional debut on TCM, often merely severs to wet the appetite for much more! Where is the long promised newly re-mastered version of THE BIG PARADE? The restoration was completed in 2004! This is 2008 people!