Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just seen her in a movie with Ida Lupino called *The Hard Way* . She was great in that and I have always enjoyed her in *Sargent York* . One movie I have not seen and really want to is called:

*The Wagons Roll at Night* which also stars Humphrey Bogart. It is one of the Bogart films I have not seen yet.

<ahttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/jeanlaffite/000jLeslieem.jpg>

I like her better with the "sweet kid" look rather than the glamour look below. This picture is a photo of my TV screen so it is not so crystal clear. This is from a 20-minute short shown on TCM about a young girl who goes to Hollywood to be a star, can't remember the title.

Message was edited by: laffite

After the collapse of the Studio System. Joan like so many other actresses of her era turned to Westerns.Most of them were quiet modest like "The Woman They Almost Lynched", "Toughest Man in Arizona", "Man in the Saddle" but entertaining nonetheless.Joan appeared to have fun and enjoy making these oaters.

Joan Leslie is a sweetheart, and caught the brass ring early in her career. She co-starred with Bogart in "High Sierra", Cooper in "Sergeant York", Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and Lupino in "The Hard Way, among others.

I have posted in the past that she would be a good candidate for a Robert Osborne interview, since at 83 years old she is getting around and looking great.

*Cinemaven* : I don't know Cathy O'Donnell. If she's anything like Joan, I'll probably like her.

*Mongo*: Do you by chance have a picture? I should do my own research but I thought as our resident encyclopedic, so to speak, you might have something handy in the file. If you have something, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I just watched HIGH SIERRA again, and took specific note of Ms. Leslie's contribution. She has a sweet sensitivity that plays very well.

If I may change the subject, this movie gets better with each viewing. It's incredibly well written. Thrillingly paced. And has some darkly poetic cinematography that tells as much as the dialogue. The element of Velma adds a level of humanity most gangster films lack. The connection between the two main characters is touching and believable, as two lonely people who have nobody else. Even the dog plays a pivotal role! That one piece of the puzzle that brings everything down. It's quite literary. Of the many fine stories of crime and detection, this is one of the very best.

Red River

Joan also had a small bit part in *Love Affair* with *Charles Boyer*. She's one of the star-struck girls who runs up to Boyer and asks for his autograph as he make his entrance. She has a couple of lines as she translates what he wrote for her girlfriends, who don't speak French. I loved her little eyebrow lift as she comprehends his snarky message to his "fans."

• 11 months later...

Joan Leslie is about 29 years old in this movie showing now, "Jubilee Trail." She doesn't look like herself. She is still cute.

The color is Truecolor, which is 2-color, but it's about the best 2-color I've ever seen.

Did Joan ever play the bad girl? I like the movie Born to be Bad in which Joan costarred with Joan Fontaine. Unfortunately for Joan L, Joan F got the juicy part of Cristobel while Joan L played the long suffering but nice Donna. A hoot of a movie though.