Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movies do you watch when youre down in the dumps

I was just curious to know what fans here watched when you are down in the dumps aka depressed as hell

Why am I asking ? I am plenty depressed as my wife is going on vacation for 2 weeks - i haven't been apart from her for over 5 years, so this is a first. I couldn't go with her (this time). It left me feeling blue. Depressed as hell is the best I could think to describe how I feel, this is a trying tough time for me, if only for 2 weeks. I haven't been this down in years....

So is there a particular film you watch when you are blue that helps you get through those trying moments or really clears your head ?

"It Happened One Night", "Roman Holiday", "Three Smart Girls", "Swing Time", "Arsenic And Old Lace", "The Women", and others. As you can see I prefer to watch happy, comedyish movies (with the exception perhaps of "Roman Holiday"). But, if you want to see a "nothing could be worse" movie then watch the following in order:

"The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle" (you start watching the movie thinking it is a happy Fred and Ginger musical.........boy does it surprise you. In other words I was traumatized :) )

"Sabrina" (really, really old guy gets beautiful young girl. It's horrible!) OK maybe this one doesn't count. Skip this movie and continue directly on to the one below.

"Vertigo" (Saddest movie Hitch ever, ever made!!!!)

And to finish the marathon......

"West Side Story" (I am almost crying just thinking about the movie!)

The *Marx Brothers* always make me laugh, as do *Laurel and Hardy* --- so, if I can, I like to watch them for cheering up. Or perhaps a *Fred and Ginger* flick (not The Story of Vernon & Irene Castle, though, lol).

Some others to consider which are guaranteed to bring joy (to me, anyway):

*My Man Godfrey* - It's physically impossible for me not to laugh at those zany Bullocks and William Powell's reactions!

*The Major and the Minor* - Billy Wilder's first directed feature and it's warm as well as funny as heck.

*The Shop Around the Corner* - It's movie-chicken soup.

*Bringing Up Baby* - It will bring up laughs you didn't think you had in you.

*Hide-Out* and *When Ladies Meet* - Seeing my Bobby Montgomery in a romantic comedy is 100% frown-proof.

*His Kind of Woman* - If Big Bad Bob Mitchum can't make you laugh with all his wise-cracks, Jane Russell will put a smile on your face!

I like certain MGM musicals like The Band Wagon, Meet Me in St. Louis, and Easter Parade.

Fred and Ginger in The Gay Divorcee. I just think that, aside from the dancing, it's a very funny movie.

I also like Bob Hope movies like The Ghost Breakers, My Favorite Brunnette, and The Paleface. Jane Russell is a mood brightener as well. The Road pictures are pretty fun too.

Doris Day in films like On Moonlight Bay, and It's A Great Feeling.

William Powell and Myrna Loy comedies, not only the Thin Man series but also films like Love Crazy and Libeled Lady.

There are certain stars that just cheer me up: Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Jack Carson, Jack Benny, James Cagney, Joan Blondell, Jean Harlow, Robert Mitchum, Gloria Grahame, Clark Gable, Norma Shearer, Mae West, Mary Pickford etc. Even if the film is not a comedy, just watching the actor often cheers me up.

MissGoddess,

Just thinking about His Kind of Woman cracked me up. Besides Mitchum and Russell there is also Vincent Price. When Mitchum wonders why Price wants to start his hunt so early, Russell cracks that "he likes to shoot them as they crawl out of bed." That line always makes me laugh out loud for some reason. Great movie!

The Marx Brothers are fun too. I particularly like Duck Soup.

Just watch The Three Stooges. There is nothing like a pie in the face, a poke in the eye, a "ruff ruff," a pipe clanging against a head, a plane across the scalp (complete with sawdust), a "burmp" to the nose, pliers to the nostrils etc., to get out of a funk. Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

I also like to watch certain films/stars when I'm in need of a shot in the arm of courage or gumption; that usually means I put on *Gone with the Wind* or a John Wayne film. Nothing can stop either Scarlett or Duke!

Well, that's an interesting choice. And your post reminded me from that great line in The Freshman - "There's a kind of freedom in knowing you're completely ******, because you know things couldn't possibly get any worse".

While in college, I was instructed by a wise old woman as to the perils inherent in speaking in superlatives or absolutes. As such, when one considers that we live in a Universe at once infinitely large, and made up of components infinitesimally small, the potential always exists that things can get worse.

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> Well, that's an interesting choice. And your post reminded me from that great line in The Freshman - "There's a kind of freedom in knowing you're completely ******, because you know things couldn't possibly get any worse".

>

> While in college, I was instructed by a wise old woman as to the perils inherent in speaking in superlatives or absolutes. As such, when one considers that we live in a Universe at once infinitely large, and made up of components infinitesimally small, the potential always exists that things can get worse.

It's just a line from a movie. :)

A very touching moment in one of Woody Allens movies, was when he was really depressed and wondering whether life was worth it. He goes to his favorite revival house and catches the Marx Bros in "Duck Soup". He laughs and comes back to a better humor. Well done scene!

Thelma

If I want to beat the blues, I watch something upbeat. Top choices -

My Man Godfrey - my favorite William Powell film and probably among my favorite films ever.

Cary Grant comedies - particularly some of the ones from the late 1930's and 1940's, like The Awful Truth, My Favorite Wife, or Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House.

My favorite James Cagney picture - Yankee Doodle Dandy.

If I want to just cry and get it over with, I will watch something like Doctor Zhivago...or maybe a newer film like The English Patient or The Bridges of Madison County.

I would like to mention another series of films that can really brighten your mood. Those Fox musicals with Alice Faye, Betty Grable and Carmen Miranda. TCM doesn't have the rights to these so they are often overlooked around here.

Films like *DOWN ARGENTINE WAY, THAT NIGHT IN RIO* and *THE GANGS ALL HERE.* Unfortunately the dvd release of the latter was botched by toning down the brilliant technicolor. The film has the dazzling "The Lady in the Tutti Frutti Hat" sequence. I only wish they would release *SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES* on DVD.

I was discussing with some posters over on imdb about how in these difficult times we could all use a little more Carmen Miranda.

I love the lyrics to the song Carmen Miranda's Ghost is Haunting Space Station Three. I linked them below.

http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/carmen-mirandas-ghost.html

Message was edited by: molo14

Message was edited by: molo14