Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movies do you watch when youre down in the dumps

Hi Molo---those Betty Grable/Carmen Miranda Fox musicals are what I call movie eye-candy. The color are just so luscious and vivid, they really are in a style by itself and can't fail but to cheer.

When I'm anxious abt what tomorrow will bring I watch "Susan Slept Here" just to hear Glenda Farrel defending herself in response to how little she knew abt motherhood, "I happened to have typed the script to "Stella Dallas". Also in that movie, I get a good laugh listening to the Don Cornell recording of "Hold My Hand" in which he sings "pass through the purtle (the word is PORTAL) now we'll be immortal now"...

Any Judy Holliday movie will do the trick too.

Film Fatale,

Thanks so much for that information. That's awesome news about the Miranda Collection and the remastering of *THE GANG'S ALL HERE.* Yeah!

I guess *SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES* will have to wait for that elusive release of "The Betty Grable Collection volume 2." That set has been a long time coming and I fear it may never get a release.

MissGoddess,

Eye-candy is the perfect description for those films.

Except "The Cat and The Canary" (I can't find it on Netflix or at my library. It's tragic!)

There is definitely something weird going on with this title. It's actually for sale through this site but I would be wary of buying it. I purchased the Bob Hope Collection because I wanted a decent copy of *MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE* and it was an unwatchable print with an out of sync soundtrack. It was bad even by public domain standards.

I think *THE CAT AND THE CANARY* is owned by Universal. These are just two of those titles that, because the dvd release prints are so bad, we just have to wait for them to be shown on television and record them ourselves. The prints that are broadcast are in pretty good shape and much better than any version for sale.

Believe it or not I worked at a bank and they had a seminar in which a person gets paid to go to various bussinesss and give speeches on stress. Thats a good thing, but guess what kind of shows you are suppose to watch when you are stressed out or down in the dumps ? ......Comedys, DUH. ....whod have figured ? .....That only makes sense to me but the stress EXPERT said you shouldn't watch soap operas and other depressing stuff like the 6:00 news if you are already stressed and in the dumps. Here again, you think most people would know that, but I guess not. .......So per the expert, a good remedy for stress and the blues, laughter. .....Hey, some of the funniest comedians came out of the poorest neighborhoods, so its probably good advise. .......Whenever I was broke, I HAD to laugh to keep from crying.

Comedy is very much in the eye of the beholder. So whatever movies make you laugh, go for it.

When I am in this condition the last thing I want is to laugh. (No matter how much I enjoy the Marx Brothers or Laurel and Hardy.) I ususally want a very serious western or war picture.

It's like my music. Give me Brahms' Piano Concerto No.1 or Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony and it expresses my mood. Don't want Mozart then or Vivaldi. They are (frequently) a little too jovial for that mood.

I know what you mean, Chris---though, logically, I think watching a comedy is healthier, there are times when the soul needs to "weep with those who weep." And therefore, something more solemn is called for. It can be cathartic. As long as it isn't indulged in too much---that's where I have to watch myself.

TripleHHH,

though a interesting question, for me i must say i watch movies to make me feel BETTER..when i am down...so i guess i try to watch more up beat or just pictures with maybe my favs in them...

ty for the question

Ava :-)

Being down in mood for me unfortunately results in a sort of "paralysis" and I tend to sulk. I just seem to have to feel it and get through it. I have no idea what movie I would want to watch.

*Movieman* I agree on the music. Serious music is better, it give me something to hold on to. Good choices you mention. Overall, the music is serious but still represents a wide gamut. The 3m of the Tchaikovsky is exhilarating but it may not necessarily make me feel any better. Similarly, the finale, which almost sound hopelessly tragic, will not make me feel any worse. It's the art that soothes not necessarily the mood of the music. The music helps get me get through the down period but won't necessarily effect the mood itself. Nice to hear someone be specific about classical music favorites here on the boards.

lafitte:

Thanks for your comments. I don't have many I can discuss the virtues of Tchaikovsky with. You're mentioning the the 3rd movement of the 6th Symphony makes me feel like he is saying that there will always be that time regardless of the exhilaration. It all comes to an end.

I'm a long time lover of classical music. Anytime you want to talk about it there's a thread in the Favorites (?) about music. We can dig it up.

P.S. Melancholy also drives me to some Copland and Vaughan Williams pieces.

>...3rd movement of the 6th Symphony makes me feel like he is saying that there will always be that time regardless of the exhilaration. It all comes to an end.

... and what an end. I attended a perf of the Sixth in Boston with Ozawa back in '73. At the end of the 3m there was a spontaneous burst of applause. Proper etiquette requires waiting until the entire symphony is completed before applause, but this is often an exception with this piece. That brilliant and relentless march has an ending so powerful it almost makes you want to get out of your seat and run around the block. ... But wait .... the finale.

Yes, by all means, we must revive some of these music threads. The use of classical music in movies is a fascinating subject, especially if there are enough of us music freaks around to mull it over. I'll have a look in the archives and I hope you will too.

Trivia: What piece is playing in the last scene of The Elephant Man? The actual recall is the difficult part because the music itself is so very popular, even among non classical fans. There are many more examples involving more obscure examples that would appeal more to the mavens.

Or even music and movies involving all kinds of music, not just the classics, would be interesting. I don't think music is talked enough about here.

scsu, correct. It's been used more than this once though I can't think where else right now. Figures. I may have to check on this but I believe the piece was originally a part of a chamber composition with this being one of the movements. Barber rescored just this one movement for string orchestra, which is how we hear it played today for the most part. It seems to me that it may have been used in Apocalypse Now. Not entirely sure. And of course, who can forget Ride of the Valkyries from Wagner in AN.

FF : I did not see the The Doors so I don't know. Below is a link from uk.imdb that lists the use of Barber's music in film and I didn't see it there. (The Adagio has been used in South Park and The Simpsons so it's been around.) I'm reluctant to argue with imdb but I can't help but think that the Adagio has appeared more than shown, but I'm probably wrong.

Did you like The Doors. ? I ask because I noticed on imbd that Steve Manzarak (sp?) regularly refused requests from Stone to act as adviser and that Steve panned the film later on. Manzarak is quite a character. Three or four years ago he was an hour-long guest on a local, morning talk show and he was very entertaining. I particularly remember that, at the end of the show, Manzarak played a keyboard only version (on the piano) of Crystal Ship that was so wonderful. I had to call the radio station and get a copy of the whole program, mainly because I had to have that music. I remember thinking how great it would be if he cut a CD with similar renditions of other Doors songs.

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0053462/#musicX20department

Madame X

w/ Lana Turner

because I don't cry anymore and if I want to have a good cry I watch this and nothing ever makes me cry like that movie I just bawl my eyes out

I get teary eyed thru other movies

the movie Juno made me weep a bit but with Madame X I just go berserk

Was that the same adagio that was used near the end of Oliver Stone's The Doors ?>>

FF,

I don't remember it being used in *The Doors* but Stone did use it in *Platoon*.