Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dianabat

Movies within movies

*"Okay, no cheating for the following: Do you know what film this is from?"*

Yes.

*"How about this one?"*

That's "Who Killed CockRobin?" (gotta compound that name), right? Can't recall the film though.

Now, in what movie does *Duck Dodgers In the 24 1/2 Century* appear?

Kyle (who knows Movieman1957 won't know) In Hollywood

That's "Who Killed CockRobin?" (gotta compound that name), right? Can't recall the film though.

Nicely done! Go ahead and Google the short to find out the film.

Now, in what movie does Duck Dodgers In the 24 1/2 Century appear?

That, I do not know.

Are you gonna reveal the first film and Disney short?

*"Are you gonna reveal the first film and Disney short?"*

No. I feel bad enough offering my cryptic answers so far. I'll let somebody else --humor you-- er, play along.

Besides, you didn't direct the post to me. And my name isn't "dianabat" - aka "DangerousDi", "DeadlyDi", "DeviousDi", "DisingenuousDi", DoubleCrossDi", "Dead-EyeDi", "TyDI", "La De Di" or "LiveAndLetDi".

Kyle (do we have enough"di"s to play some Yahtzee?) In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"Are you gonna reveal the first film and Disney short?"*

>

> No. I feel bad enough offering my cryptic answers so far. I'll let somebody else --humor you-- er, play along.

>

> Besides, you didn't direct the post to me. And my name isn't "dianabat" - aka "DangerousDi", "DeadlyDi", "DeviousDi", "DisingenuousDi", DoubleCrossDi", "Dead-EyeDi", "TyDI", "La De Di" or "LiveAndLetDi".

>

> Kyle (do we have enough"di"s to play some Yahtzee?) In Hollywood

Humph! All I can say is you're lucky there is no "K" in the Italian alphabet. ;)

Dilettante Di

*"Humph! All I can say is you're lucky there is no "K" in the Italian alphabet."* - dianabat

Hey! I'm sorry. I thought those were all FrankGrimes' "sweet nothings" to you.

And I'm gonna have to write to Progresso. I was sure I saw a "K" in my Alphabet Minestrone.

Kyle In Hollywood

> FeroceFrancesco wrote: I'm gonna need you as a character witness. You wouldn't sell me out, wouldya? By the way, nice gun.

Grazie, bello. It's of great comfort to me. ;)

> Okay, no cheating for the following:

>

> Do you know what film this is from?

No, I haven't a clue, amico.

> How about this one?

:::sigh:::: This is my "Giorno Difettoso alla Roccia Nera" because I remain clueless.

Di-Van the Terrible

Okay, so I finally got around to watching The Tingler, which I'd DVR'd. I love this movie -- the cheap, rubber centipede-like 'tingler,' the not-so-scary villian, the frequent Vincent Price exhortations to "scream, scream, scream!" What cheesy fun!

Anyway, one scene takes place in a movie theater and they used Tol'able David as the film screened. Was it used simply because it was a silent and most likely in the public domain or did William Castle have an ulterior motive? Any ideas?

Di

In *A Wing and a Prayer*, the men on an aircraft carrier are treated to the "Sheik of Araby" number from *Tin Pan Alley*. What's interesting is that they show the alternate version of the number, which can be seen these days via the Hidden Hollywood, Vol. 2 DVD.

> {quote:title=dianabat wrote:}{quote}

> Okay, so I finally got around to watching The Tingler, which I'd DVR'd. I love this movie -- the cheap, rubber centipede-like 'tingler,' the not-so-scary villian, the frequent Vincent Price exhortations to "scream, scream, scream!" What cheesy fun!

>

> Anyway, one scene takes place in a movie theater and they used Tol'able David as the film screened. Was it used simply because it was a silent and most likely in the public domain or did William Castle have an ulterior motive? Any ideas?

>

> Di

Hi, Di:

The decision to place that part of the film in a silent movie theater was apparently deliberate, possibly because the owner's wife (and one of the victims) was a deaf-mute. Castle's autobiography Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the clip from Tol'able David was deliberate or not, but if I had to guess, I'd say probably not. I think it was just "available."

Hi FrankGrimes - I apologize for "Sabotage"-ing your question as we have not been properly introduced but I noticed no one answered your question of what movie the cartoon was from so I wanted to speak up. It is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies! :)

Thought of a few more odds & ends for this thread. I hope I'm not intruding.

*Love Affair* is announced on a marquee in the New Years scene of *Bachelor Mother*.

Loretta Young and Norman Foster go to see *Blessed Event* in *Week-End Marriage*. And isn't there a movie within *Taxi!* too?

I think the silent film Gloria Swanson is watching in *Sunset Boulevard* is *Queen Kelly*.

Scenes from *Crossroads* can be glimpsed in *The Youngest Profession*, which really whetted my appetite for the former when it was aired last night.

nightwalker wrote: The decision to place that part of the film in a silent movie theater was apparently deliberate, possibly because the owner's wife (and one of the victims) was a deaf-mute. Castle's autobiography Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the clip from Tol'able David was deliberate or not, but if I had to guess, I'd say probably not. I think it was just "available."

Thanks for the confirmation!

I never realized Castle wrote a bio. Maybe it was 'ghosted?' Seems more likely, don't you think? ;-)

Di

CarrieLiz wrote: Thought of a few more odds & ends for this thread. I hope I'm not intruding.

You're definitely not intruding! This topic has fascinated me for a while now and I'm always glad to add more 'movies within movies' to my list.

Seems to me someone mentioned a Glenn Ford movie a while ago -- The Mating of Millie -- but I can't remember what movie showcased a clip from it. The only one mentioned on the IMDb is Boston ****'s Chinese Venture, and I'm sure that's not it. Anyone else remember?

Di

Most movies about John Dillinger having him coming out of the theater and into a hail of bullets. The marquee usually reads "Gable and Loy in Manhattan Melodrama"

Hi Shasta! -- Hi FrankGrimes - I apologize for "Sabotage"-ing your question as we have not been properly introduced but I noticed no one answered your question of what movie the cartoon was from so I wanted to speak up. It is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies!

My question was really meant to be an open one, so you are not "'Sabotage'-ing" a thing. And even if you were, it would be nothing new to me. Dangerous Di constantly looks to do me harm. :) She'll say different, but don't you believe her for one second.

You are correct, the short "Who Killed CockRobin" is from Hitchcock's Sabotage. I also like Sabotage. The "delivery" scene is one of my favorite Hitch scenes.

The other Disney short that I posted is "Playful Pluto" and it's from Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels.

In Caprice Doris Day goes into a cinema to watch, er, Caprice...talking about self-referential...

There's also a bit of Batman shown on a TV set in the movie.

W.C. Fields' Never Give A Sucker An Even Break features him in front of a billboard advertising The Bank Dick plus there's a large part in which he discuss a movie script (that we also see enacted on scrren) with a producer (Franklin Pangborn playing himself).

A SIGN OF THE GRIMES!

That's a beautiful scene in SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS. An incredible movie, with depth and poetry. The movie most comedies only dream of being. I'm not one who considers McCrea and Lake great actors. But I'm also not one who cares a lot. Just say the lines and move the story. With a script like that, who needs actors?

Double R

I think one of the best uses of movies within movies was *La Dolce Vita* in *Divorce, Italian Style*. It didn't just show up in a scene but was used as a not-so-inside joke. I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but of course, there's the spliced together kiss scenes in *Cinema Paradiso*.

>

> I never realized Castle wrote a bio. Maybe it was 'ghosted?' Seems more likely, don't you think? ;-)

>

> Di

As far as I can make out, Di, William Castle did indeed pen Step Right Up! himself. I've read nothing to suggest otherwise in any articles or fanzines, etc. that I consulted that mentioned the book. John Waters, who wrote the introduction to the 1992 reprint, also indicates this in writings of his own, even after Castle's death. And, for what it's worth, the book certainly reads as though the man wrote it himself!

I've scrolled through this thread, and I don't think this was mentioned. In White Oleander

(2002), an actress played by Renee Zellweger shows a scene from Zellweger's 1997 movie

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, as the fictional actress' work.

> You're definitely not intruding! This topic has fascinated me for a while now and I'm always glad to add more 'movies within movies' to my list.

>

> Seems to me someone mentioned a Glenn Ford movie a while ago -- The Mating of Millie -- but I can't remember what movie showcased a clip from it. The only one mentioned on the IMDb is Boston ****'s Chinese Venture, and I'm sure that's not it. Anyone else remember?

The thread reappeared and I found the answer -- it's used in The Way We Were. If you want to see more than just the last ten seconds of The Mating of Millie it's on 9 AM EDT this morning.

Di

Caught *Strictly Dishonorable* (1951) on TCM a week or so ago. It's set in the 1920s, so when Janet Leigh goes to the movies, she sees a silent: *A Woman of Affairs* (1928). I've always wanted to see that movie, so I was glad to find clips of it. But something puzzled me.

They showed a beautiful scene where Garbo cradles a bouquet of flowers; then as she sees John Gilbert, she drops the flowers and runs to him. The scene fades, "The End". I was under the impression that *A Woman of Affairs* ended sadly. Did they alter the footage used in *Strictly Dishonorable* ?

In "_The Seven Year Itch_" Marilyn Monroe & Tom Ewell come out of a theatre showing "_Creature from the Black Lagoon_".

The ultimate "Movie within a movie" has to be Steve Martin's "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". Martin plays a hard-boiled 40's detective and intersperses himself with clips from film noir classics.

I was talking about this subject with someone on another thread just the other day. Right smack in the middle of the movie E.T. is a scene from my favorite film of all time, The Quiet Man. John Wayne gets to grab Maureen O'Hara and give her a big fat kiss as Elliot gets to grab a little blonde girl and do the same (while dozens of frogs hop away to freedom) In the meantime, E.T just sits in his easy chair, drinking beer, and switching channels on the TV. (I think the Duke and Elliott get the better end of the bargain, but others might disagree.) :-)