Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
StephanieWells

Please Help Identify This Murder Mystery

I am looking for an older B&W murder mystery movie. The movie opens up with the detective standing in a room, telling you about the case at hand. He goes around the room showing off 3 objects that are clues to the solving of the mystery. One of the clues is a chess piece. Thats all I can really remember about it, other than I really liked it. I thought the detectives name was Quince, but I have given up on that idea. If anyone has any idea's, please help.

I can’t believe no one can ID this movie. I’m curious about this one myself now. I love good mysteries! Anyone???

My first guess would actually not involve a "Quince" but rather "Philo Vance" as portrayed (surprisingly badly) by Basil Rathbone early in his career in "The Bishop Murder Case"; I had seen it somewhat recently on TCM, perhaps the past six months, but I think I did miss the beginning, and thus don't know if there was an opening scene like you describe, although a chess bishop does play into the plot coinciding with the unknown villain leaving notes signed "The Bishop."

Otherwise, I doubt there would be a black-and-white noirish episode of "Quincy" that I don't know about it, or for Jack Klugman to be challenging Robert Ito to guess how a chess piece figures into one of their cases. Even less likely for Quince in "Rawhide" to surprise Gil Favor and Rowdy Yates with his previously unseen deductive reasoning skills.

• Like 1

That's a brilliant guess. I myself never think of Philo Vance or Nick Carter because they are so abominable. But yeah describing the clues at the beginning of a case is just as corny as Vance always behaves/operates. Ellery Queen too.

That sounds like one of the Crime Doesn't Pay shorts. 

On 4/2/2019 at 12:06 PM, Gershwin fan said:

That sounds like one of the Crime Doesn't Pay shorts. 

Haha, good one! Not sure if you meant that as a joke, but it struck me as funny. I’m thinking this might be a great murder mystery to sit down to with my giant bowl of popcorn & mega gulp soda only to find out it’s only, wait what, 7 minutes long???