Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name of b/w movie with unwed mother who gives up baby

I am looking for the name of a black and white movie I saw on TCM a while back, with this premise:  a woman (she lives with her dad) gets pregnant, but the man dies in war before they can get married.  She goes of to New York to have the baby, and makes a plan with a nurse that the nurse will leave the baby on the woman's doorstep, so the woman can take in the "found" orphan (who is actually her own child). But the nurse mistakenly leaves the baby on the neighbor's doorstep instead and they take in the baby.  The woman is forced to watch her baby grow up with the neighbors because she cannot claim him as her own.  I believe she becomes the nanny or babysitter so she can be close to him.  Eventually the secret is revealed.  

Any help identifying this move would be soooo appreciated!!

5 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Sounds like To Each His Own.

THANK YOU!! Yep that's it...its been bugging me for such a long time... I knew someone in the TCM community could help me.  Totally forgot Olivia de Havilland was even in it, so I couldn't even try to look up actor info to find the movie.  I should have posted on here months ago lol...thanks again scsu1975!

10 hours ago, Jaxs said:

THANK YOU!! Yep that's it...its been bugging me for such a long time... I knew someone in the TCM community could help me.  Totally forgot Olivia de Havilland was even in it, so I couldn't even try to look up actor info to find the movie.  I should have posted on here months ago lol...thanks again scsu1975!

Olivia won the Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in To Each His Own.   This was also the first major film she made after winning her lawsuit against Jack Warner and the studio.    A lawsuit that had a major change to contract law.

(Olivia was also in Government Girl during her 'banned' period,  but this was mostly a 'throw-away' film).