Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sweetsmellofsuccess

June Schedule Up

*"...it’s just a marketing tool like all the others, used as a way to change TCM toward more modern films."*

It's all about context. That's all. A celebration of Asian Images in Film that didn't include contemporary actors wouldn't be very inclusive or complete. If a film from 2001 helps elaborate that history, it is better to include it than exclude it.

The same was true of Denzel Washington and Spike Lee films that were part of the very first "Race In Hollywood" series two years ago. It would have been unforgiveable to end that series with Sidney Poitier films as if nothing important happened after *Lilies Of The Field*.

Jackie Chan and the *Rush Hour* films are some of the most successful of the past decade - and one of the few "studio produced" films with an Asian male lead. Extensive retrospectives such as the one upcoming in June need to be as inclusive as possible to be scholarly, successful and worthwhile.

There is a recent documentary on Asian-American Males in films titled *The Slanted Screen* that also looks at this history.

http://www.slantedscreen.com/

And here is an article / review from 2007 at The Washington Post about the film's presentation on PBS last year -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/24/AR2007052402573_pf.html

This author even takes exception to the fact that an actor like Jackie Chan isn't even "Asian-American" because he was born in Hong Kong and, I believe is still a resident of there.

Personally, I'd rather watch a Jason Scott Lee film - but I wasn't asked.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk to fix a typo

Oh boy, yes she is.

Besides it being Hedy Lamarr Month...there are a few of trinkets I look forward to exploring when June hits:

6/ 3 "The Big Boodle" (yeah...an ignominious ending for a great star--basically a train wreck)

6/ 4 "In a Lonely Place"

6/ 5 "The Locket"

6/ 6 "A Study in Scarlet" (they allow Anna May Wong to speak English - but of course, this is a British film)

6/ 9 "White Cargo" (among other Lamarr films)

6/15 "Bonjour Tristesse"

6/16 "Libeled Lady" (a great comedy)

6/19 "The VIPs" (a wonderful guilty pleasure along with:

6/16 "The Oscars" (with Stephen

Boyd, and the beautiful Elke Sommers)

I also want to take a look-see at Samuel Fuller's Kimono and some of the Asian Festival films another group that got short shrift in Hollywood and were really stereotyped. Can someone sue "Breakfast at Tiffany's"??

Can't wait!

Haven't posted in this forum in quite a while, but I just got a look at the June line-up and had to say:

Bravo, TCMProgrammer! It's going to be a fantastic month. I'm particularly looking forward to the silent Chinese movies, but there don't seem to be two days in a row when there won't be something I'll be interested in.

Broken Blossoms (1919) is very good and interesting.

They Won't Forget (1937) is interesting and very sad.

The Locket (1946) is a ?must see? noir.

I see that on Sunday, June 8, TCM will air its first ?made for TV? movie:

12:00 PM Tom Sawyer (Made For Television) (1973)

Maybe this is an error, since the cast listed is for a theatrical version.

An excellent schedule. The film that I think stands out is *Chichi Ariki*,.an Ozu I never heard of before. It's not available on DVD or video tape so I hope it stays on the schedule.

--

Terry Wallace

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Broken Blossoms (1919) is very good and interesting.

>

> They Won't Forget (1937) is interesting and very sad.

>

> The Locket (1946) is a must see noir.

I have to disagree with you, Fred. While The Locket is good, the real must-see noir on June's schedule is The Crimson Kimono. It's directed by Sam Fuller, (I believe) it's a TCM premiere, and it stars James Shigeta -- an underrated Asian-American actor who rarely got the chance to show just how talented he really was. June 24th -- mark your calendars!

Di

Today's NYTimes has a review of a recently-released DVD of Sessue Hayakawa's *The Dragon Painter* -

"As a sadistic Japanese art dealer who sexually enslaves a Long Island society woman, Hayakawa had set hearts aflame with a sense of danger and exoticism in “The Cheat,” Cecil B. DeMille’s 1915 melodrama. Hayakawa’s subsequent films, for the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company, were so successful that he was able to establish his own production company, Haworth Pictures Corporation, in 1918. Even as the popular press was brimming with “yellow peril” scare stories, Hayakawa and his directing partner, William Worthington, produced 23 features in four years, one of which, “The Dragon Painter” (1919), has now been released on DVD by Milestone Film and Video."

There's more which you can find here -

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/movies/homevideo/25dvds.html?ref=todayspaper

(just scroll down past the section about the Gene Autry serial *The Phantom Empire*. Well, maybe you don't want to do that either.)

Kyle In Hollywood

6/ 4 "In a Lonely Place"...

This is one of those rare films that gets better with each viewing.

Bogart and Grahame are both hypnotic and the movie really captures the

desperate side of Hollywood...when people are "between engagements" and

waiting for the next big thing to turn up.

I love how most of it takes place in that claustrophobic apartment complex

(shades of "Rear Window" and all...)

"Bonjour Tristesse" is another undervalued gem.

>Fanny ... (based on the Marcel Pagnol trilogy,

Moira, have you see by chance the complete trilogy made in France (1933-36) with Pagnol himself writing the screenplay. The events in this story are serious indeed but there is much charm along the way. Pagnol understood people so well. I actually have copies of these rarities on VHS that I was able to obtain by dubious means (my name is not Laffite for nothing, i.e. think: piracy) and that I treasure. No doubt they are not on DVD, nor will probably ever be.

HI all.

I'm dragging this thread out of the bowels of the Forums because I saw something "new" in the schedule for June today and I am wondering if it actually is a new addition or if it was there all the time.

A few posts below I wrote about a documentary that explored images of Asian-American men called *The Slanted Screen*. I had seen it on a regional PBS channel a year or so ago. I found it quite enlightening - especially in its examination of Sessue Hayakawa who was a true "matinee idol" during the silent era.

Anyway, today I was browsing the June schedule and there on the very first day of the "Race In Hollywood: Asians In Film" event is *The Slanted Screen* (June 3^rd^, 7pmEDT / 4pmPDT) .

Does anyone remember if this was on the schedule when it was first posted? I know I am getting up there in age - and my eyes aren't what they used to be but I don't think I would have missed TCM's inclusion of this film on the schedule.

And, if you haen't guessed, I do recommend seeing *The Slanted Screen*. The film covers television along with film but includes some very insightful commentary from current and past stars in Hollywood.

If you remember seeing this as part of the schedule months ago, please let me know. If I am "losing it", at least I'll know when it started and can include it in my obituary.

Kyle's dottage began in the spring of 2008 while hanging out at his favorite online site TCM.com

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Kyle -- I downloaded the June schedule when it was first unearthed and that schedule has My Son, the Hero airing at 6:00 PM EST on June 3rd. Its runtime is listed at 111 minutes. The Slanted Screen was not on that tentative schedule. As you mentioned, it is now, as is The Star Packer, which airs at 6:00 PM EST.

*The Slanted Screen* was not on that tentative schedule. - FrankGrimes

Whew! Thank You, FG. So I am not turning into Uncle Billy ( *It's A Wonderful Life* ) after all.

You'll find a token of my appreciation in the Poster Gallery tomorrow. (Well, it's been planned for a month but you'll like just the same.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Whew! Thank You, FG.

You are welcome, my friend.

So I am not turning into Uncle Billy ( It's A Wonderful Life ) after all.

Soon. :P

You'll find a token of my appreciation in the Poster Gallery tomorrow. (Well, it's been planned for a month but you'll like just the same.)

I appreciate all of the posters you post, even the horrible Ford and Coop ones. :) In actuality, you have done good by my tastes on your thread. I really can't complain... although that won't prevent me from doing so. ;)

3 Joan Crawford Films in June!!!

June 2008:

June 12

The Women. 12:30pm

June 23

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney. 11:15pm

June 30

Rain. 1:30am

Kyle my man, I am pretty sure you are right and it wasn't there when we were first ogling June's lineup. I too remember seeing it there recently and thinking "gee, I don't recall that one!". I think the only related doc at that time was the one featuring Anna May Wong, so I think it's been added, which is cool.

I *think* they also added a Chan flick too, at the wrap-up of the detective/mystery night, clearly one of my favorite evenings of TCM ever! :)

*"I think they also added a Chan flick too, at the wrap-up of the detective/mystery night, clearly one of my favorite evenings of TCM ever!"* - markbeckhuaf

And I think you're right about that too. Sounds like we both are looking forward to June.

Thanks for reassuring me that my sanity hasn't fled the building.

Kyle In Hollywood