Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts about Claudette Colbert's movies

CLAUDETTE HAD MANY GREAT FILMS AT PARAMOUNT INCLUDING A SERIES OF FILMS WITH FRED MAC MURRAY, WHICH ARE VERY FUNNY. I AM SO SURPRISED THAT THE TCM VIEWERS DO NTO MUCH ABOUT CLASSIC PARAMOUNT FILMS, WHICH INCLUDES THEIR STARS AND CHARACTER ACTORS.

I forgot to mention.The film in question, which was produced by Paramount is "No Time for Love", where she plays a photojournalist. who is loosely modeled after Margaret Burke White (the famous New Deal journalist).  She befriends a sandhog played by MacMurray. All sorts of things happen in the Paramount way.  Try to catch it.  There are many free film services that are legal to watch.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, arpirose said:

CLAUDETTE HAD MANY GREAT FILMS AT PARAMOUNT INCLUDING A SERIES OF FILMS WITH FRED MAC MURRAY, WHICH ARE VERY FUNNY. I AM SO SURPRISED THAT THE TCM VIEWERS DO NTO MUCH ABOUT CLASSIC PARAMOUNT FILMS, WHICH INCLUDES THEIR STARS AND CHARACTER ACTORS.

Occasionally these Paramount treats turn up on TCM. But you have to be watching the schedule for them. When Fred MacMurray was Star of the Month, some of his Paramount stuff aired, including one or two he made with Claudette Colbert.

• Like 1
On 4/13/2018 at 10:33 PM, ChristineHoard said:

Nice story, Stephan55.  Sometimes I wonder if my old romances remember me or if they're even still alive.

They probably wish they could forget you.  :P

/sarcasm

• Haha 1

WAY late to this party, but......

Sure, a good place to start WOULD be near the beginning, like with SIGN OF THE CROSS and CLEOPATRA.

And I too prefer HER version of IMITATION OF LIFE over the '50's remake, and of course THE EGG AND I and the earlier IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT are good choices too, as are just about ANY of her movies.  

Personally, if someone asked me about that, I'd tell 'em to print out her filmography, close their eyes and plunk their finger down on the list and go from there. ;)

As a kid, the one thing that struck me about Claudette were her EYEBROWS!  I actually thought she didn't HAVE any, and just penciled in what brows she DID have. ;)

Sepiatone

On 4/14/2018 at 11:52 AM, arpirose said:

Well,  many of Paramount's films arent shown because TCM cant gain access. It's not because we dont want to see them. If we cant see them, we dont know much about them (unless have had the chance to view elsewhere)..

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Personally, if someone asked me about that, I'd tell 'em to print out her filmography, close their eyes and plunk their finger down on the list and go from there.

Perhaps not Let's Make It Legal.

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Perhaps not Let's Make It Legal.

The audio commentary on the DVD for LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL is very good. Robert Wagner who plays a supporting role in the movie gives some insights about working with Colbert, Mac Carey, Barbara Bates and Marilyn Monroe. He also talks about how some scenes were shot to avoid problems with the censors. He had a positive experience on the film.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, TopBilled said:

Someone recently asked me in an email which Claudette Colbert films I would recommend they watch. They had seen her in THUNDER ON THE HILL, which they really liked...but were unfamiliar with her other output. Below is what I suggested. If you think I left out any important Colbert titles, let me know!

Here's a quick list of 10 must-see Colbert titles:
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, TopBilled said:

Someone recently asked me in an email which Claudette Colbert films I would recommend they watch. They had seen her in THUNDER ON THE HILL, which they really liked...but were unfamiliar with her other output. Below is what I suggested. If you think I left out any important Colbert titles, let me know!

Here's a quick list of 10 must-see Colbert titles:
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 3.43.51 PM.jpg
  1. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)..directed by Frank Capra, a sleeper hit that earned her an Oscar. It's probably her most well-known film, one I'm sure you have seen.

2. IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939)..directed by W.S. Van Dyke, an MGM mystery comedy that casts her as a screwball heroine. She's very funny in this one, and it was the only time she costarred with James Stewart.

3. MIDNIGHT (1939)..directed by Mitchell Leisen, a modern day Cinderella story; the first of three she movies made with Don Ameche.

4. DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939)..directed by John Ford, her first picture in Technicolor; she costars with Henry Fonda in this well-mounted Fox period drama. TCM plays it once or twice a year. It's excellent from start to finish.

5. THE PALM BEACH STORY (1942)..directed by Preston Sturges, a raucous comedy with Joel McCrea. I think Colbert is better as a dramatic actress but she does have a flair for comedy, and this film proves it.

6. SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944)..directed by John Cromwell, an overblown wartime epic from producer David Selznick. But she's wonderful as a home front wife waiting for news about her husband while she struggles to keep life as normal as possible for her two daughters. Colbert received an Oscar nomination for this.

7. TOMORROW IS FOREVER (1946)..directed by Irving Pichel, another wartime drama. She plays a woman who lost her husband (Orson Welles) in WWI, and now might lose her son (Richard Long) in WWII. It gets a bit soapy, when Welles comes back from the dead using an alias. By this time she has married handsome George Brent. It's a very absorbing drama and Colbert is perfect in it.

8. THE EGG AND I (1947)..directed by Chester Erskine, a Universal comedy that made gobs of money at the box office. She and costar Fred MacMurray made quite a few romantic comedies together and this is probably their best collaboration.

9. THE SECRET FURY (1950)..directed by Mel Ferrer, an intense woman-in-peril drama. In this story she marries charming Robert Ryan, but he is up to no good and her life is soon in danger. The ending is very dramatic. You might find it on YouTube. Otherwise TCM airs it once or twice a year.

10. THUNDER ON THE HILL (1951)..directed by Douglas Sirk. We've already discussed this one.

WOW TOP, I just about finished a reply,etc on this nice tiopic & got it deleted???

1. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)..directed by Frank Capra, a sleeper hit that earned her an Oscar. It's probably her most well-known film, one I'm sure you have seen.

2. IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939)..directed by W.S. Van Dyke, an MGM mystery comedy that casts her as a screwball heroine. She's very funny in this one, and it was the only time she costarred with James Stewart.

3. MIDNIGHT (1939)..directed by Mitchell Leisen, a modern day Cinderella story; the first of three she movies made with Don Ameche.

4. DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939)..directed by John Ford, her first picture in Technicolor; she costars with Henry Fonda in this well-mounted Fox period drama. TCM plays it once or twice a year. It's excellent from start to finish.

5. THE PALM BEACH STORY (1942)..directed by Preston Sturges, a raucous comedy with Joel McCrea. I think Colbert is better as a dramatic actress but she does have a flair for comedy, and this film proves it.

6. SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944)..directed by John Cromwell, an overblown wartime epic from producer David Selznick. But she's wonderful as a home front wife waiting for news about her husband while she struggles to keep life as normal as possible for her two daughters. Colbert received an Oscar nomination for this.

7. TOMORROW IS FOREVER (1946)..directed by Irving Pichel, another wartime drama. She plays a woman who lost her husband (Orson Welles) in WWI, and now might lose her son (Richard Long) in WWII. It gets a bit soapy, when Welles comes back from the dead using an alias. By this time she has married handsome George Brent. It's a very absorbing drama and Colbert is perfect in it.

8. THE EGG AND I (1947)..directed by Chester Erskine, a Universal comedy that made gobs of money at the box office. She and costar Fred MacMurray made quite a few romantic comedies together and this is probably their best collaboration.

9. THE SECRET FURY (1950)..directed by Mel Ferrer, an intense woman-in-peril drama. In this story she marries charming Robert Ryan, but he is up to no good and her life is soon in danger. The ending is very dramatic. You might find it on YouTube. Otherwise TCM airs it once or twice a year.

10. THUNDER ON THE HILL (1951)..directed by Douglas Sirk. We've already discussed this one.

Top, prettygood one pal,  obviously your fa fan of *Claudette-(ranked #12th place by AFI in 1999 survey & poll) I like her as well, but by no means among my all-time top 10 fav. actresses. & I think you'll agree *Claudette never really deserved her sole *Academy award for '34's sweeping *"IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT" especially over non-contender *B. Davis in "Of Human Bondage" though. Plus another non-nominee that yr was Lombard in Hawks brilliant screwball comedy "Twentieth Century" & the never better John Barrymore for leading actror, but as *B. Wilder said about his own "SOME LIKE IT HOT" not winning any major statuettes IT WAS A COMEDY & during that glorious Studio-System Era, the peers like Gangster ole in the leads would never win a major *Oscar?

(NOTE: For TCM-ITES, nxt time you catch one of her pix or any others apparently *Colbert was very sensitive about being filmed on left side of her profile, even often going out of her way to make positive only her ride side was mainly filmed)

My own favs of hers: (only the top 5)>

1st *"IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT"

2. "SINCE YOU WENT AWAY" (*Max Steiner whom is constantly voted by us Studio-System/Golden age Fans as thee A #1 film composer ever  This being only his (3rd) & final victory???)

3. "PALM BEACH STORY"-(ridiculousy  *Sturges only took home 1 singe "GOLDEN BOY" for the good but not great 1940 "The Great McGinty?")

4. "BOOM TOWN" (l940 M-G-M) (This was reportedly among Mayer fav pictures, along with "THE HUMAN COMEDY" "ANDY HARDY" & L.B.'s ideal lady & actress was *Greer Garson & he & *Lionel Barrymore had a true friendship & as almost all say even *Lionel Mayer would actually get the arthritic great actor cocaine-(benzadrene)-probably speeled it wrong) for his ongoing pain, saying though he had no idea how he scored it for him though? & *"The Great: Tracy" always also voted *Lionel as his hero & acting idol)

& 5th "DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK"

(& MORE TRIVIA: her Best Actress competitoirs for '34 were> Norma Shearer, "The Barretts of Wimpole Street & the tragic Grace Moore in "One Night of Love"_

• Like 1

TopBilled's list is great -- I love Drums Along the Mohawk, particularly, which by the way I think also contains Edna May Oliver's most enjoyable performance (in a career where all of her performances are great). They showed the film to us in grade school, in NYC, to illustrate a vision of Colonial New York. I haven't seen It's a Wonderful World in many years, but I remember laughing hysterically at it.

Not on the OP's list:

Tovarich, with Colbert and Boyer, is a lot of fun. (It was later made into a Broadway musical with Vivian Leigh and Jean-Pierre Aumont.)

No Time for Love is fun.

Arise, My Love is a rich, rewarding film that is utterly exasperating at times!

(I like the fact that four titles -- at least -- have been taken from the Song of Solomon 2):

Arise, My Love

The Little Foxes

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes

The Voice of the Turtle

• Like 1

Thanks Spence. I have Claudette Colbert listed as my second favorite actress (if you click on my profile you will see my choices using the About Me tab). I feel she gives us consistently high quality, regardless of director, costars, studio production values or genre. When you watch any film she is in you are guaranteed a certain level of excellence.

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, TopBilled said:

Occasionally these Paramount treats turn up on TCM. But you have to be watching the schedule for them. When Fred MacMurray was Star of the Month, some of his Paramount stuff aired, including one or two he made with Claudette Colbert.

TO TOPBILLED, I'm certain you know this but many others do not, yet anyway  Heck, I didn't even know it until  my first vacation to what is left to an empire  called HOLLYWOOD  I was lucky enough to be able to stay at exact same motel on all (3) times-(777 N. vine) & just about a stone's throw from PARAMOUNT PICTURES, but until actually visiting it on a tour I didn't even know the legendary RKO RADIO & PARAMOUNT shared exact same lot! They don't like to tell visitors about the old RKO side though, despite it's entire architecture on RKO's old side is literally stepping back into the mid 1930's. Even it's once front entrance-(which I could easily see & get pictures of it) was RKO's original frt door, now used as PARAMOUNT'S SIDE. All my books say *K. Hepburn used to eat lunch daily in the '30's when she was voted $B.O.$ poison on it's stairs. I kept inquring the tour guide was a that the s. stage where "KANE" was shot & he'd say the certain one's, though most of "KANE" was shot at Culver Studios-just down the street) from what was Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer-(now Sony) Culver is another huge story in itself, they don't allow tours, though *"GWTW"-(burning of Atlanta, & all fans can now see through it's gates is the facade of *"WIND'S" massive with mansion) "KANE" "KONG" *"REBECCA" "DUEL IN THE SUN" "SPELLBOUND" "LAST OF THE MOHICANS" (l936)-(TRIVIA: *Selznick's reportedly used to walls of "KONG" "MOHICANS" & his "LITTLE LORD FLAUNEROY" to burn up Atlanta) others shot behind it's gates were: "BUGSY" "R. BULL" "A FEW GOOD MERN" "THE ROCK" "BEETLEJUICE" "MATRIX: TRILOGY" & tv-series  "ANDY GRIFFITH" "UNTOUCHABLES" "I LOVE LUCY"-(she bought out *Selzinck), "BATMAN" "STAR TREK: PILOT" & a ton more.   (P.S. & typically they plan to tear down the iconic RKO Globe???)

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Spence. I have Claudette Colbert listed as my second favorite actress (if you click on my profile you will see my choices using the About Me tab). I feel she gives us consistently high quality, regardless of director, costars, studio production values or genre. When you watch any film she is in you are guaranteed a certain level of excellence.

GOCHA!  Did know your all-time actors, actresses,etc  though forget her as a runner-up, who was A No. 1?

& WHERE WOULD YOU HAVE RANKED HER AMONG AFI'S 100yrs...100 STARS" 9'99 poll)?

26 minutes ago, Swithin said:

TopBilled's list is great -- I love Drums Along the Mohawk, particularly, which by the way I think also contains Edna May Oliver's most enjoyable performance (in a career where all of her performances are great). They showed the film to us in grade school, in NYC, to illustrate a vision of Colonial New York. I haven't seen It's a Wonderful World in many years, but I remember laughing hysterically at it,.

Not on the OP's list:

Tovarich, with Colbert and Boyer, is a lot of fun. (It was later made into a Broadway musical with Vivian Leigh and Jean-Pierre Aumont.)

No Time for Love is fun.

(I like the fact that four titles -- at least -- have been taken from the Song of Solomon 2):

Arise, My Love

The Little Foxes

The Voice of the Turtle

Thanks Swithin. I have a copy of ARISE MY LOVE but it's been a while since I've watched it.

I love TOVARICH and wish TCM could broadcast it. Another one she did with Boyer netted an Oscar nomination. It's called PRIVATE WORLDS, where she plays a doctor in a mental institution. It was made ten years before SPELLBOUND.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Swithin said:

TopBilled's list is great -- I love Drums Along the Mohawk, particularly, which by the way I think also contains Edna May Oliver's most enjoyable performance (in a career where all of her performances are great). They showed the film to us in grade school, in NYC, to illustrate a vision of Colonial New York. I haven't seen It's a Wonderful World in many years, but I remember laughing hysterically at it,.

Not on the OP's list:

No Time for Love is fun.

Arise, My Love

The Little Foxes

The Voice of the Turtle

Yes, I have the cast recording. VIVIEN LEIGH SINGS!!! I heard she did a mean Charleston too!

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, TopBilled said:

Isn't she buried in Paris It's obviously the also legendary & 102yr old a still a genuine lady *OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND will be & according to her still in love with ERROL FLYNN-(l909-1959) Think they did she made (8) w/him & on a TCM in between she talked about 1941's "I Died With Their Boots" where the Boots & the filming she gut a chill known he would live long &  on"I've written on her & myriad of other places his grave was unmarked for yrs due to ERROL being broke, though his fan club "THE ZACCHA" installed one yrs later & up[on my first visit to whats dubbed "THE DISNEYLAND" of Graveyards" "Forest Lawn, cem" in GLENDALE-(not the1 in Hollywood Hills) his grave in April of '99 was in such poor condition one couldn't even read it-(Apparently Ida Lupino had a thing for FLYNN & has her & her sisters grave about 3-5 ft away) AN ASIUDE, my A #1 all-time favorite motion picture actor-(empysis on motion picture) stage rightly belongs to *OLIVIER>*"THE GREAT TRACY'S" garden grave is approx. 35ft & along side of exact same wall of ERROL"s, put being my pal ofg 36yrs favorite was FLYNN & then there is *TRACY along same wall. (that fellow movie buff & even went to more new releases than myself (Frank) sadly had never visited there nor FLYNN's more then legendary MULHOLLAND DR residence, I tried on the 5 & 1/2 hr tour bus but the tree people entrirely taking over the plan (Torryson, place MULHOLLAND, DR.) Frank's other top favs ever-(I know top off the topic, sorry) were: *"LAWRENCE OF ARABIA": *"BEN-HUR" & the other actors besides the Australian *C. Heston???-(mammoth egomaniac, limited actor I & tour bus drove by *CHUCK'S INCREDIBALLY MASSIVE & TOOK UP MANY BLOCKS HOME, MAN!? NATALIE'S FMR HOME JUST THE OPPOSITE, whats that tell you fans!!!) & Tyron Power-(TopBilled, LawrenceA, Jackeem, do you know why the good in health Power just keeled over?

& 1947's "Egg & I" is fun jazz (***-out of four) of course introducing Ma & Pa Kettle, for which Main snagged her sole shot at a s. actress *Oscar. (TRIVIA: Did anyone know-(except probably for TOP & about 3 others I always considered pal o'mine, Kilbride was hit by a car on Yucca in '64 & killed)

"Egg" was among Fox highest grossing films that year

TO TOP< just viewed your TCM profile, & you used to have all-time favs in cxinema & easily to see, can't find them buddy

PLEASE HELP

& (NOTE: I can't write in my personal msg to anybody & for a couple of moths now as I used to write to you

IT SAYS IT'S FULL ON MY SIDE, WHAT DO EXACTLY DO PLEASE???

ALSO TO TPBILLED, think you've been just about all over, but whats about HOLLYWOOD?

PLEASE FILL ME IN & ABOVE THAT ITEM ABOUT JUST TRYING TO GET INFO FROM YOUR TOP BILLED PAGE???

1 minute ago, spence said:

TO TOP< just viewed your TCM profile, & you used to have all-time favs in cxinema & easily to see, can't find them buddy

There are multiple tabs now. To see my favorite films, performers and directors, click on the About Me tab.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, spence said:

"Egg" was among Fox highest grossing films that year

THE EGG AND I is a Universal release. 

Colbert made these films at Fox:

UNDER TWO FLAGS (highly recommended, pairing her with Ronald Colman)
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
REMEMBER THE DAY
THREE CAME HOME
LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

And from her right side!!!

You're right. She does let her right side get photographed. In THREE CAME HOME she has to crawl on the ground in one nighttime scene and the camera does get her from both sides. Also in OUTPOST IN MALAYA there's a shot where she looks out a window at Jack Hawkins and she is photographed from the right. But I don't think she preferred it; she felt her left side was better.

I could never figure that nonsense out.  I mean, with most people I know, their "better side" has NOTHING to do with their PROFILE! ;)  Plus add to that, I never thought of JOHN BARRYMORE'S profile as being that "distinctive".  At least not as much as JIMMY DURANTE'S obviously was! ;)

Then there's some who might think Claudette's BACKSIDE was the better one to view! :D  That's certainly true for a LOT of actresses, regardless of HOW pretty their FACES actually were! ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1