Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glad I found this!

desertskies03

I had no idea what TCM even was till hubby was flipping through the channels and I had no idea our cable channels even went up that high (channel 501) LOL. I love classic movies and I use to watch AMC (American Movie Classics) a lot but they really changed and started showing less and less of the real classics. TCM is by far much better than AMC ever was.

I'm only 26 and I'm curious if there is anyone else here in their 20's who enjoy classic movies also? :)

Well hello there, fellow Chicagoan! TCM is a WONDERFUL channel dedicated to classic movies, and this forum is a great place to frequent if you want to hang with others who share your love of the classics. It's a really friendly group here, and so many know a great deal about classic movies and the stars of old. As far as your question about the age thing (I'm 32 b.t.w.), check out the thread in the "Hot Topics" section called "TCM's average viewer is 55?". You will find a handful of members have listed their age. I've learned that the members ages range from teens and up, but we all share the same appreciation of classic movies so age doesn't really mean much around here except a number.

Welcome aboard!

~*~Stella~*~

Hello, hello Desertskies! You've happened upon a great channel and a great place (these forums). Around here, there are many super people, myself excluded (it's been months since I last posted anything that has anything to do with discussing movies or things closely related to movies).

But, I'm in my 20's (20 actually--four months away from being able to legally purchase alcohol and handguns...watch out!) and enjoy watching classic (and many not-so-classic but still somehow classic), movies.

Hey! Someone else from Chicago! LOL Thank you for the very nice welcome! I didn't think age really mattered but I was just curious cause I've never personally met anyone around my age who appreciates the classic movies like I do but I'm glad to see that there are! I'll have to check out the other thread that you mentioned and I'll definitely be around here more often lol. For now it's back to Murder By Death on TCM LOL. Never saw it before but it looks pretty funny. Thanks again for the welcome! :)

When I was your age, we didn't have websites like this much less computers. And, I'm not even sure that the term "Classic Movies" was in use...but our local TV channel would show a movie from the 30's or 40's every Sunday night at 11:00PM, and that was where and when I began my exposure to, and love of, what we call the Classic Movies today. Better yet, today (thanks to TCM) I'm finally able to see (uncut and with no commerial interruptions) the earlier Silent movies. Be sure to watch TCM on Sunday nights at 12:00AM Eastern if you're interested in the Silents, and the best stars and movies of that era. Good to have you with us! ML

Thank you very much ML! I never cared for Silent Movies but I saw one recently that I enjoyed very much. It was called The Scarlet Letter which I'm sure you've probably heard of. It was made in 1934 and starred Colleen Moore. That film was excellent. When did they stop making silent films? I didn't realize they went into the 30's.

• 1 month later...

I think you're wrong about that. The Scarlet Letter was from 1926 and starred Lillian Gish. Silents were generally phased out between 1927 and 1929, with the notable holdover being Charles Chaplin, who made the all-silent City Lights in 1931 and the mostly silent Modern Times in 1936.

I know how you feel. I just discovered TCM (and classic movies) a year ago. And by the way I'm only 18. My friends think I'm crazy to watch old movies, but that's ok, I actually prefer to be different than everyone else. I love old movies because there's so much drama involved in every movie. And love the fact that in most old movies people meet, and in a few days fall in love and get engaged (unrealistic, but i love that!)

I totally agree with you, valvolina402. Here I am, 17, and I have loved classic movies for about 4 years. Everyone at my school thinks that they are boring but I love them and everything about them! They are amazing. I got TCM about a year ago and I am absolutely hooked!