Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Holden...need i say more?

AvaG92260

Hey All,

of all the actors we all talk about i dont see William Holdens name to much....well i havent at all scinse ive been on....soo im going to...lol...

What can u say about gorgoues...SEXY....funny..charming Mr.Holden...

Another actor i can truly say io looved him in just about everything he did..i prefer his beginning career to the later...but just loved him..one of my mothers all time favorite storys is one of Mr.Holden..

If i remember correctly she and some gfs were on the 20th century fox lot (my mother use to work for a agent back then who handled..many celebs) Jule Styne...anyway they couldnt find there car..they forgot where they parked it and here comes Mr.Holden pulls up besides them and asked them if they needed any help..my mom told them they cant find there car and he said hop in and i will help u look!!!! Well, she said she nearly fell over..just the NICEST guy...so thats a cute story she has..

Personally i would have looooooooved to have jumped in his car....lol...

Lets see..Sunset Boulevard...oh my gosh..heehee.. of course...Love Is A Many Splendid Thing with the Lovley Jennifer Jones...to die!! lol....on and on...

he was great!

ty all.

please feel free to put your thoughts as well..

Ava

S

Topsey...

that was sweet of him wasnt it....im glad u agree with me theres not enuff talk about him..maybe this thread will shake that up....i hope....im actually very surprised that more ppl havent joined in this thread to share there admiration for the great Mr.Holden!

Anyway ty Topsey

Ava :-)

ILoveRay...

Of course..Sabrina...just wonderful.. yea i wanted her to go to William to....lol....I Love Lucy...1 of my all time favorite episodes no dought with William Holden....sooooo funny..absolutly!

Ty Ray for adding some more wonderful memorys to the wonderful..gorgisiomo...lol..Mr.Holden

Ava

:-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Hi Ava, It took me awhile, but here are my comments on William Holden. In my opinion, he was the best looking actor in the movies, and my all time favorite. He was so sexy and virile, and Bill could play both drama and comedy. It is a shame that he lacked self confidence. Barbara Stanwyck helped him immensly thru "Golden Boy", and Bill never forgot Missy for her kindness. He always sent her a dozen roses on the anniversary of the statr date of "Golden Boy". The movies that are favorutes of your are also on my list. I have some Bill Holden films that I also enjoy: "Invisible stripes", "Rachel And The Stranger", "Apartment For Peggy", "The Man From Colorado" 'Miss Grant Takes Richmond", "Force Of arms", "Escape From Fort Bravo", "Executive Suite", "The Bridges At Toko-Ri", "The Key", "The Horse Soldiers", "The World Of Suzie Wong", "Breezy", and "Network". Bill`s performance on the "I Love Lucy episode was also my favorite.A few of the movies that I mentioned above are seldom shown.

William Holden stars in one of my all-time favorites: SUNSET BOULEVARD.. He is fantastic in this movie: funny, sexy, dramatic. And also, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI...another great movie with another great Holden performance.....Trivia : did you know that the author J.D. Salinger named his character from CATCHER IN THE RYE Holden Caulfied because he saw a movie marquee with the names William HOLDEN and Joan CAULFIELD. Always thought that was an interesting tidbit.

cashette,

thanks so much for the thread..and as i say, better late then never..lol...i totally agree with u on Bills looks...absolutly the most gorgoues but Cary Grant is pretty close...lol..if not right with him..heehee...i didnt know that sweet story about he and Stanwyck(whom i adore!)Thats awesome..try for that but hats just another story of Bills generosity and appreciation rto someone..he was just that kinda guy!

ty again for those kind words on the great Bill Holden

Ava :-)

• 3 weeks later...

A Happy 90th birthday today to William Holden. I started my day by watching "Boots Malone" for the first time. What a nice little movie watching Bill change thru the admiration of young Johnny Stewart. It was my good fortune that I taped many of Bill`s earlier movies "The Remarkable Andrew", "Blaze Of Noon", "Apartment For Peggy", "Streets Of Laredo", "Dear Ruth" "Force Of Arms", "The Moon Is Blue", and "Forever Female". Bill never gave a bad performance, and he acted in many types of films."Toward The Unknown' and "The Proud And The Profane" are two movies that I have seen..

Cashette,

it is his BDAY!! Cool.....HAPPY BDAY Billy!..But..Cashette..did u see the movies they picked tp play of his...My god..come on....n ot 1 besides Country Girl..and personally that wasnt even one of my favs by him...terrible..who is programming..they know nothing about him unforunatly...

anway..HAPPY BDAY again Bill..u were tops to me...heehee.

AvaG!! :-)

Hi Ava, TCM did run a full slate of Bill`s movies for twelve hours, but they weren`t all gems. "The Bridges At Toko Ri" is."The Key" will be shown on Wednesday, June 11, at 8 pm. This movie stars Bill and Sophia Loren.Have you seen this film?

Hi ya Cashette,

U mean they showed them today right? I know they did..... 12 hours on a actors bday...u play his BEST....it just makes semse to me...anyway ummmmm the movie u asked me about....is no Bridge Over River Kwai...did u see that one..that was his HIT..This one with Sophia Loren bombed..misrebly....anyway hun i just think u should be playing his hits today of all days..but they didnt anyway...as i said before its not just Bill..i just think the selection lately had been pretty poor and im not alone there alot of my feinds have been complaining this was just like the last straw..LATLEY...how much latley id say a for sure this week....but it just seemed to be more consistant...i mean usually on a actors bday they DO show TCM..there hits..this was just kinda was like well thats strange to me...

Anyway its all good....

Happy BDay Bill

as i said before u still have the girls goin gaga for ya..lol.

AvaG

Hi Ava, I am happy that my video library contains many of Bill`s movies. Years ago I bought some titles, and other movies were taped from TCM and AMC. Tonight I watched "The World Of Suzie Wong"Hopefully my vcr won`t breakdown because I was able to see "Ruby Gentry" with Charlton Heston and "Road House" with Richard Widmark. .

cashette,

Thats awesome..i always envy ppls librarys over mine..mostly because mine is VERY small..thats all ill say there...lol..... mine is a work in progress...slooooooooow progress..but never the less im workin on it....and i have 3 in mind of Bills that i will be adding to that!

ty for sharing

AvaG ;-)

Mention William Holden to my 87 year old mother, and she gets all dreamy eyed and even a little.....warm.

Me too.

He had such a string of great 50's films, and there was something very modern and edgy about his performances. He was manly, clean-cut, sensitive yet cynical.

I saw him in THE DARK PAST yesterday and even though I felt he was too intelligent and good-looking to be believable as that kind of criminal, (Nina Foch had the same "problem") I always like watching him.

btw...

those 3 movies that i am adding to my collection and are my favs are..Sunset Boulevard, Love Is A Many Splendard Thing, Born Yesterday, Stalag 17..oops did i say 3...lol...Anyway no matter who the actor in the movie...to me its the WHOLE picture...not JUST the actor..for me anyway for MY library it has to be the other actors..script,director...ect....

ty

AvaG

bronxgirl,

funny u say that, its the same with my mom....lol..she adores him! And yes as well so do i...bjut she grew up with him..met him....lol...must have been pretty neat...anway yes the movies they showed yesterday were FAR from ANY of his hits....the movie u mentioned yes he was ALL wrong for that movie..plus the movie stank..i thought, but thats why its not one of his (or even close) in the arena of his repetoire....saying that i higly reccomend u checking out the movies i mentioned if u want to see Bill Holden in all his glory..appreciate the work that made him famous! Makes sense to me...

ty for your thoughts Bronxgirl

AvaG :-)

My pleasure, Ava! One of my favorite Holden films is the charming post-war comedy APARTMENT FOR PEGGY. I've seen most of his 50's work. He was excellent in NETWORK too.

A great star!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl!

YES....he was great in both those movies..i have seen them both but the fact u mentioned Network....good one hun, he was GREAT in that! Ty broxgirl u brought some movies of his

to the forefront that ppl usually dont talk about when talking about his work.....the DIFFRENCE is u brought not only ones not talked about but they were GOOD ones as well.......lol.....anyway appreciate that....

Ty again

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Bronxgirl!

Yes....he was great in both those movies..i have seen them both but the fact u mentioned Network....good one hun, he was GREAT in that! Ty broxgirl u brought some movies of his

to the forefront that ppl usually dont talk about when talking about his work.....the DIFFRENCE is u brought not only ones not talked about but they were GOOD ones as well.......lol.....anyway appreciate that....

Ty again

I like William Holden in bright breezy movies like Sabrina and Born Yesterday ( oh my in glasses he is soo gorgeous), but I love Holden in very cynical roles like *Stalag 17* and *Sunset Boulevard*. Holden's acting is best in the last two movies because he didn't shy away from playing somewhat sleazy or opportunistic characters. His innate charm and intelligence had a dark side in the two serious Wilder pics. They were both harsh characterizations, but he went for it- some actors wouldn't want to be seen in a bad light, so to speak. It is very effective when you think of the roles he played before- everyone must have been expecting light comedy from him. And the light touch is just what is needed in that opening scene in *Sunset Blvd.* Can you imagine a heavier "noir" voice over? He is just the right combination of vulnerability and callowness.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings