Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 5 Bette Davis in order

TripleHHH

I have finally seen a good dozen or so movies with Bette Davis. I am not ready to do a favorites as I still have more to view, a few more.

I remember when I only knew Bette as a horror actress doing things like Dead Ringer, Baby Jane, Burnt Offerings, but now I have dug into her past, her classics & boy some of these are real treats..

Some of the ones I like a lot / owning them are Dark Victory, Now Voyager,Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, In this our life, All this and Heaven Too

Now while a lot of her movies are on DVD, there are still plenty or a good handful on VHS to take into account as well. Im assuming the DVDs are her A films

Anyway for those that have seen a lot of Bette Davis and have a top 5,

name your top 5 in that exact order...

ALL ABOUT EVE is clearly her best. She's bitingly delightful, and the script is acidic. DARK VICTORY is good, but it's not my favorite. I like William Wyler's JEZEBEL, a pre-Civil War story. OF HUMAN BONDAGE is certainly intriguing. But it's pretty glum. THE LETTER is quite good. A favorite of some posters on this board. And, like you, I appreciate her forays into sophisticated, 1960's horror. "Charlotte" and "Baby Jane" are edge of the seat thrillers.

Red River

wow tough one.... so many great films and great performances....

my fave five are:

1. ALL ABOUT EVE

2. MR. SKEFFINGTON

3. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE

4. NOW, VOYAGER

5. OF HUMAN BONDAGE

Jezebel

The Little Foxes

The Letter

All This and Heaven Too

Of Human Bondage

This was hard. "Hush, Hush...& "Baby Jane" were certainly fascinating. I think

because of the supporting casts in both of these movies,as well as B.Davis' over-the-top,

campy, excellent perfomances.

Hard, yes.... The lady has like 20 superb film performances to her credit.

I forgot THE LITTLE FOXES..... wow, talk about acid

I havent seen Juarez , the Virgin Queen or the Little Foxes..havent heard of them at all..

Having seen Bette in her latter part of her career I didnt realize how beautiful she was in some movies. I found her attractive in All About Eve. , In this Our Life, Dark Victory

She really had beautiful hair, its a shame it was pinned up a lot

Dark Victory was the saddest movie I have seen her in

My next BD movies are Jezebel, Mr Skeffington and Marked Woman...after reading about these, I felt I might be interested in them

i read in one davis biography that the hairstyles in her films were purposely chosen to suit each character she was playing, as well as the costuming....she also insisted on looking a little different in each film, at least during her WB years.

although davis was a powerful little dynamo personality wise, the VARIETY of different roles she played throughout her career was amazing, she really 'went for it', tried everything, made it her own, and seldom failed in presenting a fully rounded character to the audience.... an amazing "actress", my favorite.

I agree with everyone who said naming five is hard because Bette has sooooo many great movies to choose from. I've seen 36 of her films so far. These are my five favorites:

5. All About Eve

4. Deception - sorry, i love this dark/moody movie

3. Old Acquaintance

2. In This, Our Life

1. Now, Voyager

Davis' performance in DANGEROUS is often overlooked because she supposedly won the Oscar for it, in part, because she was overlooked the year before for OF HUMAN BONDAGE. Still, her performance as the washed up actress is among her best, even if the film has slipped into "minor" status.

This is a tough one as she is my favorite, but here goes:

A Stolen Life--plays twins and lights her own cigarette, great boating scenes

Dark Victory--love the relationship with her and Brent here

The Little Foxes--fabulous Lillian Hellman dialogue and message, Bette better than Tallujah

Watch on the Rhine--more great Hellman,underplayed fabulous performance by Bette, Oscar for Lukas

Now, Voyager--wonderful camp and sets

In This Our Life--more subtle villainous, scenes with Coburn

Mr. Skeffington--great over the top Bette and love Claude always

Please give "The Little Foxes" a try. I don't think you will regret it. She is the epitome

of a selfish, greedy woman who will stop at nothing to satisfy her desire for money. The

supporting cast is excellent!

Message was edited by: Bargar

i agree drednm, 'dangerous' 1935 is one of davis' best early performances, one of my favorites, and i was a little miffed that it wasn't included in the upcoming davis dvd collection. i know davis considered her oscar win a consolation prize, but honestly, if i were an academy member in 1934 i would also have jumped on that 'it happened one night' bandwagon, it's SUCH a PERFECT film.

davis however gives quite powerful performance in 'dangerous'....she and franchot tone worked well together, she had a number of great "harridan" scenes ( ' i said GIVE ME A DRINK!!!') and we find out thru the course of the film that her character is not "jinxed", just HIGHLY self-destructive. i think i like her part in this film better than 'bondage' because it is larger, meatier, and davis TEARS RIGHT THRU IT!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings