Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the greatest comedy ever made?

ILoveRayMilland

I am NOT sure! But I am sure it is not "Some Like It Hot" (contrary to AFI's belief!).

Here are some of my Favorites:

"His Girl Friday"

"Road To Morroco"

"The Women"

"It Happened One Night"

"The Thin Man"

"The Ghost Breakers"

"To Be Or Not To Be"

"The Awful Truth"

"Pillow Talk"

"Topper"

"Arsenic And Old Lace"

"The Princess And The Pirate"

"Mr. And Mrs. Smith"

"The Major And The Minor"

I have to stop because the list goes on and on and on and on............................................

What are your faves? What do you think is the best?

My favorite is no doubt Some Like It Hot. Not very original, I know, I think it is often suggested as greatest ever or at one of the greatest. This movie has such staying power. To see these two guys in drag is funny enough, but there are so many great scenes and dialogue. Can we say too that maybe the greatest ending for a comedy. Does it get any better than, "Well, nobody's perfect." ? There's even a part in the movie where I lose it. Near the end Marilyn is singing that unlucky in love song (title?) and the look on Tony's face while he is watching her kills me. Then he walks over (in drag) and kisses her and walks out. Whew ... hard for me not to get a little misty with that one ...

Also, one you mentioned, It Happened One Night. Brilliant Picture

<ahttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/jeanlaffite/somehot58tcm.jpg>

somehot59tcm.jpg

>I can't choose just one.

I understand, believe me. Someone mentioned Airplane. Talk about funny, one gag after another. "Can you do it for the Zipper." lol

The Apartment and Dr Strangelove ... would certainly be in the running but I find it hard to consider them comedies, at least unabashed comedies. There is an undercurrent of seriousness to these two movies, especially the latter. Might they be considered Comedy-Drama? Probably not. Maybe it's the subject matter of Strangelove that throws me. Anyway, I see a difference in tone in these two movies and movies like Some Like It Hot and Airplane. And what about the Woody Allen comedies? Argh, I really like those. Yes, it gets complicated. Still, a little commentary helps with the interest.

Well this is an impossible question for me. I know I will leave many out but here are a few:

*Duck Soup* It's wonderful Marx Brothers anarchy. Even the songs are hilarious. I really think this one holds up tremendously well for it's age. The satire seems very modern to me.

*The Bank Dick* W.C. Fields never misses a beat going from harassed husband and father to film director to bank guard and so it goes This film features the underused Franklin Pangborn and the underappreciated Grady Sutton in two of their best and biggest roles. The scenes with Fields trying to keep tabs on Pangborn are classic.

*My Favorite Wife* Dunne and Grant are a great comedic duo. The courtroom scene is a hoot with the befuddled judge. It's also the little things, for instance when Dunne speaks of not having worn shoes in a while "just running wild" she says. It's the way she delivers it in the context of the scene which just makes me laugh.

*My Favorite Brunette* Can I please get a little love for this wonderful Bob Hope detective spoof? It's not just Hope's one liners but other things too, like the interplay between Lon Chaney Jr. and Peter Lorre.

*The Gay Divorcee* It's a musical comedy. Sure you have Fred and Ginger but the laughs come from Edward Everett Horton, Eric Blore, Alice Brady and Erik Rhodes. The only thing that makes me sad about this movie is that they didn't make ten more of them with that supporting cast.

*Love Crazy* Sure I love the Thin Man series but this is probably my favorite Powell/Loy pairing. They are truly funny and were at the top of their game in this one, but again it's that all important support. This time provided by the great Jack Carson, Gail Patrick and Florence Bates. Loy is wonderful trying to beat Powell at his own con game.

*What's Up Doc?* This wonderful tribute to screwball comedy has a lot to offer. Heck, even Ryan O'Neil makes me laugh with lines like it came out of the faucet that way Eunice. The courtroom scene is great and obviously borrows from *My Favorite Wife.* What puts this one on my list can be summed up in two words: Madeline Kahn.

I could go on and on. So many films. *His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Palm Beach Story, Harvey, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The Ladykillers, Monty Python and the Holy Grail,* and so many more, I'm sure I'll hate myself for leaving them out.

>Love Crazy Sure I love the Thin Man series but this is probably my favorite Powell/Loy pairing ,,,

Another good one that comes to mind is I Love You Again. The plot is a little murky in my mind ... something about Powell being an amnesiac and then finding out that he and Loy are going to divorce but he doesn't know why due to his condition, something like that. So he has to win her back, hence the title. Funny.

Yes, I remember that one. Powell starts out already with Loy and as an upstanding citizen but a blow to the head brings him back to his old crooked self. I remember he does a scene leading a group of Boy Scouts. Very funny. They sure made a lot of movies together didn't they?

"Does anyone else see the somewhat mocking comedy that runs throughout Woody Allen's INTERIORS? I think it's his darkest comedy."

Yes. I'm sure "Interiors" was actually a pretty "ambitious?" comedy. I was afraid to even mention "The Coen Brothers" comedies. I wouldn't consider them classics yet, but a few of them really get me going!

Well, " Annie Hall " did win the Acadamy Award, very rare for a comedy.

I mentioned the other day that I think " Oh God " is an Essential and its probably considered a comedy, although I think it has alot of very good messages of faith in it.

I also was in a toss up of " Duck Soap " or " The Road to Utopia " as Essentials and leaned towards " Duck Soap ", with Hope and Crosby off on " The Road To Utopia " a close second. This is just Hope and Crosby at their best and it just funny as they con each other during the gold rush. Bing and Bob are great in this one and if you only see one road picture, make it this one. 100 times better than than Hopes 1960s efforts.

" The Pink Panther" movies of the 1970s era are very funny thanks to the added Bruce Lee type character KATO that is paid by Clouso to attack him at any moment to keep him alert.

" Blazing Saddles " by Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor is the best Brooks movie.

" The Jerk " comes closest to being the wild and crazy Steve Martin character.

As for Woody, " Bananas" holds up very well in all the worlds revolutions. Woody was pretty funny in his early films of the 60s and 70s.

" Army of Darkness " is one of the best horror movie comedys ever. Bruce Campbell is great as the discount department store worker pitted against the creatures of evil.

The " Airplane ' and " Naked Gun " movies were funny.

Lemon and Matthau are great in " The Fortune Cookie " and " Grumpy Old Men " Matthau as the crooked whiplash lawyer is one of the funniest characters in movie history. In fact I think thats the characters name, Whiplash Willie. Matthau in " The Fortune Cookie " is him at his funniest.

Richard Pryor was funny in " Which Way Is Up " , I think thats the one where he plays the different parts like the preacher and the grandfather.

Trying to think of a pretty funny movie in the last few years, and I kind of like the Billy Crystal, Robert Dinero " Analyse This", " Analyse That " flicks. " Meet The Fockers " was fun with Dinero pitted against Dustin Hoffman and the return of Barbara Streisand to the movies. Some of the Adam Sandler movies are very funny, I like the one with Jack Nicholson, " Anger Management ".

Some of the funniest lines are in dramas, and I think Nicholson and Al Pacino have great comedy timing.

Oh, I don't want to leave out " The Great Race" with Jack Lemmon as the evil villian and Peter Falk as his sidekick against the too good to be true Tony Curtis. Also don't want to leave out The Rat Pack movies like " Oceans 11" or " Robin and the Seven Hoods ", which are just good Rat Pack fun and easy to watch.

Can't leave out Zero and Wilder in Mel Brooks " The Producers " and Springtime for Hitler

Also " Its a Mad, Mad World ".

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

>

> The greatest comedy ever made?

>

> "THE AWFUL TRUTH."

>

> Why? Cary & Irene and their utter compatibility and ease with each other. Great writing. Supporting cast... perfect. Quips, speaking over each other, slapstick. It has everything. But mostly Cary Grant & Irene Dunne. Sublime.

You forgot Asta!!! (How dare you?) LOL

> I also was in a toss up of " Duck Soap " or " The Road to Utopia " as Essentials and leaned towards " Duck Soap ", with Hope and Crosby off on " The Road To Utopia " a close second. This is just Hope and Crosby at their best and it just funny as they con each other during the gold rush. Bing and Bob are great in this one and if you only see one road picture, make it this one. 100 times better than than Hopes 1960s efforts.

I don't think it is there best effort! It is good (I own it!) BUT I think that "Road To Morraco" and "Road To Rio" have better one-liners!

It is complicated. The best comedies do have a serious tone to them. Some are as much drama as anything else. It gives them substance. Mr. Wilder's THE APARTMENT is my favorite. It's clever, poignant and beautiful. The same for ANNIE HALL, CITY LIGHTS and the Capra classics. I just watched the brilliant SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS again. A monumental achievement.

For flat out funny, I like Howard Hawks. BRINGING UP BABY could be the instruction manual. HIS GIRL FRIDAY is just as good. To the poster who requested support on MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE: You've got it! In his best vehicles, Hope delivered some of the best rapid fire dialogue in cinema. This is the pinnacle of his impressive career.

But those Marx Brothers! DUCK SOUP is the funniest of them all! Forget serious. Never mind depth. Just fall down laughing! HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS, A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. Unbelievable! But DUCK SOUP is the single funniest movie I've ever seen.

Interesting thread!

Red River

I personally can't agree, but the film critics have hailed the Renoir comedy film "Le Regle du Jeu" (The Rules of the Game) 1939, as one of the very greatest films of all time, possibly the greatest. It is a very amusing French farce. But the greatest film ever?

The decedance suggested by this film gives some insight as to how that society could have fallen to the Germans the following year, after just one month of fighting.

Thelma

Web,

I haven't seen *Gumball Rally" since it was in the theaters. I remember really liking that film. I wonder how it has stood up all these years later. It would be great to see it on *TCM Underground* some Friday night.

Hal Needham used the same idea for his *Cannonball Run* films but I have always preferred *Gumball*.

It would be easier to list the comedies that were'nt funny.

I agree with many of the films mentioned here, but no one has mentioned any of the Brit comedies:

The Carry On Series

Anything with Bea Lilly

The Rutherford Marple Series

And my favorite of all...MAKE MINE MINK...THIS FILM HAS A CONSTANT THREAD OF HUMOR RUNNING THROUGH IT'S ENTIRETY. Funnier than THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST, which is my second fave.

Recommendation: see MAKE MINE MINK, and laugh for an hour and one-half.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings