Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE DARK PAST

FredCDobbs

This is very interesting seeing two different films made from the exact same movie script.

Seems to me that Chester Morris' character is more evil and stupid than William Holden, and Morris seems more like a real criminal, while Holden seemed like an educated guy who was only pretending to be a dumb criminal.

I have copies of the three versions of "The Maltese Falcon". I like the first one best.

I have copies of the three versions of the "Miss Sadie Thompson" story. I like the second one (the Crawford/Houston version) the best. Man, it is gut wrenching. Can you imagine tyring to relax in a remote island hotel with those two people in it, yelling at each other all night long!

Yes he was. I think I have 3 versions of that one, but I think there were more made. I think there was also a silent verson.

----------------

According to IMDB, there are these versions:

Broncho Billy and the Baby (1915)

The Three Godfathers (1916)

Marked Men (1919)

Hell's Heroes (1930)

Three Godfathers (1936)

Three Godfathers (1948)

The Godchild (1974) (TV)

"Blind Alley" is very good in its own right. I think both movies are about even. Ralph Bellamy may be a bit better than Lee J. Cobb, but William Holden still beats Chester Morris. I see Holden playing against his "pretty boy" type, which makes him more menacing to me. Morris always seemed like a crook in his movies, scowling, swaggering, etc., so I while I enjoyed his performance, I just felt like it was the same old Chester Morris.

Did you notice in the second dream sequence, the scene where the cops are following the kid into the saloon is the same footage in both films?

Marc Lawrence as a hood ... brilliant casting. How about Milburn Stone in a bowtie? Whose idea was that?

Poor John Hamilton didn't even get a chance to say "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

>Did you notice in the second dream sequence, the scene where the cops are following the kid into the saloon is the same footage in both films?

I didn't notice that. I didn't watch the more recent film very closely. I mainly listened to it. But I watched the original one.

For me, Morris was more frightening than Holden, but maybe for you it's the other way around.

Yes, I watched the tape of it today. I had seen it before but it's been awhile. Very entertaining film ... kind of a macabre comedy. Irving Bacon as the jury foreman was hysterical. Eddie G. had a flair for comedy.

I also watched Crime Doctor. Neat little picture. I hope TCM shows some of the others in the series.

I think the crime doctor series is very interesting. Often they start off with what seems like one story, but then things change and a completely different story develops. Last year TCM ran a bunch of them. The one last night was apparently the first of the series.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings