Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What About Bob?

maryjmartin

Well, I agree with you but comedy is in the eye of the beholder. I liked Bill Murray alot more in a movie called " Where The Buffalo Roam " because it reminded me of a Doonsbury character. I worked with people that thought 3 Amigos was a classic and I hated that movie. As for " What About Bob ", my opinion is I've seen Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray in much better movies. I've never heard anybody claim this movie is a CLASSIC, including the actors in it. The Disney movie where Bill Murray inherits the elephant is under rated. WC Fields said " just because I like elephants doesn't mean I want to own one ". In this Bill Murray movie he gets stuck with an elephant and its a cute little Disney story. I like it alot more than Bob.

I thought this was the worst choice TCM had made in broadcasting a newer movie until I heard Mr. Baseball's coming up too.

WhyaDuck. it is no wonder it reminded you of a Doonesbury character. Trudeau based Raoul Duke, a pale comparison to the real thing, on Hunter S. Thompson, something for which I've never forgiven Trudeau. Where the Buffalo Roam is based on Thompson's life and writings, as is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. And yes, Murray's done much better movies.

I may be wrong. I just checked out the post for Mr. Baseball (1992) on IMDb and some nice and some interesting things are said about it. It stars Tom Selleck as an older baseball player in Japan. I've liked Selleck ever since Magnum P.I., but I certainly haven't gone out of my way to see some of the movies he's made since. (I did really like Three Men and a Baby, the westerns, and I hear the Jesse Stone series of films he's doing for tv are good too). It's probably wrong of me to prejudge a movie just because of reputation. I may have even mixed it up with other films he made about the same time. It's due to be shown during the Asian-themed month of June, which includes some great Anna May Wong pre-code movies.

Some of the same could be said for What About Bob? I've never seen it, just judging it on what I have heard. Although I've liked Dreyfuss and Murray in many other things, the prospect of them mugging through a couple hours has kept me away so far. Could be my loss, dunno.

tobitz..

In my opinion What About Bob..was very very funny..i thought it was great..i mean Bill Murray, u cant go wrong there and Richard Dreyfuss timing in comedy is perfect...hes very funny...i would hightly recommend seeing it..If your a Bill Murray fan for sure...

Ava

tobitz..

oh cool...if your a bill murray fan for sure youll like it..ive heard of Mad dog but havent seen it will have to check it out...personally i have been a fan of Bill Murray since Saturday Night Live...

Hope u like the movie..let me know

thanks

Ava

Like I said, guys, I haven't seen the movie, so really shouldn't comment myself.

As for the age of films... I grew up in the sixties, and I appreciate TCM giving me the opportunity to see some of those, either ones I missed or those I want to see again, but I frequently remember the bad reviews and bad box office they received when they came out. So it's usually difficult for me to accept many of those as "classic." I'm tempted to even kick it back another decade, but I enjoy seeing many of the fifties movies as well. The Satan Bug (1965), which was on the other morning, is a very good movie. So is Fools' Parade (1971) coming up at noon EDT on April 1. Great performance by Jimmy Stewart. But classic? Only time will tell.

That said, I admit I've seen newer movies ( from the last couple decades) on TCM that I feel, now having seen them, will stand the test of time and be considered classic.

Message was edited by: tobitz

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings