Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Widmark - Photo Tribute Thread

movielover11

Thanks Mongo for posting the photo of Richard Widmark. He was a fine actor who could play villian or hero with equal authority. "Kiss Of Death", "Yellow Sky" "No Way Out", and "Road House". Richard showed his other side in "Panic In The Streets" Pickup On South Street" "Don`t Bother To Knock", and his hilarious visit to "I Love Lucy" Lucy decides to take a souvenier from Richard`s estate, and she gets locked in."The Tunnel Of Love" is not a favorite of mine, but it is watchable because Richard costars with Doris Day in a comedy.

A few images from Richard Widmark?s career, which spanned six decades and included fiendishly unstable characters in Film Noir as well as heroic, and not so heroic, characters in Westerns. Richard Widmark was a talented and versatile actor.

nightcitylg.jpg

Richard Widmark as Harry Fabian in Jules Dassin?s Night and the City (1950)

DontBothertoKnock2.jpg?t=1181806002

Richard Widmark shares a drink with lovely Anne Bancroft in Don?t Bother To Knock (1952)

jakewade1958.jpg

Richard Widmark with DeForest Kelly in The Law and Jake Wade (1958)

A friend sent along *a link to an interview* that RW did at the *British Film Institute* in 2002--it's quite good (thank you Ann H.!).

To show that *Richard Widmark* could smile again on more than one occasion, and not necessarily in that malevolent, Tommy Udo fashion...

widsmile2.JPG

...though there was that harrowing smirk he had in *No Way Out* with the underrated Linda Darnell & his lifelong friend Sidney Poitier...

widsid.JPG

...and one would have thought he'd have the world on a string in *Night and the City* as he snuggled up to lovely Gene Tierney...

widgene.JPG

...but then again, his characters were such restless creatures...no rest for the wicked...or wickedly good actors...

widnight.JPG

Panic in the Streets

panicinthestreets1.jpg

panicinthestreets2.jpg

panicinthestreets3.jpg

panicinthestreets4.jpg

panicinthestreets5.jpg

panicinthestreets6.jpg

panicinthestreets7.jpg

panicinthestreets8.jpg

No Way Out

nowayout1.jpg

nowayout2.jpg

nowayout3.jpg

nowayout4.jpg

nowayout5.jpg

nowayout6.jpg

nowayout7.jpg

nowayout8.jpg

nowayout9.jpg

nowayout10.jpg

The Street with No Name

streetwithnoname1.jpg

streetwithnoname2.jpg

streetwithnoname3.jpg

streetwithnoname4.jpg

streetwithnoname5.jpg

streetwithnoname6.jpg

streetwithnoname7.jpg

streetwithnoname8.jpg

streetwithnoname9.jpg

Kiss of Death

kissofdeath1.jpg

kissofdeath2.jpg

kissofdeath3.jpg

kissofdeath4.jpg

kissofdeath5.jpg

kissofdeath6.jpg

kissofdeath7.jpg

kissofdeath8.jpg

kissofdeath9.jpg

The Night and the City

nightandthecity1.jpg

nightandthecity2.jpg

nightandthecity3.jpg

nightandthecity4.jpg

nightandthecity5.jpg

nightandthecity6.jpg

nightandthecity7.jpg

nightandthecity8.jpg

nightandthecity9.jpg

nightandthecity10.jpg

Pickup on South Street

pickuponsouthstreet1.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet2.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet3.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet4.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet5.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet6.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet7.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet8.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet9.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet10.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet11.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet12.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet13.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet14.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet15.jpg

pickuponsouthstreet16.jpg

I thought this AP Photo was a rather touching tribute to Richard Widmark, the actor and the man.

263Obit_Widmark.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.11.jpg

The caption reads: Tourists walk past a memorial wreath left on Richard Widmark's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles on Wednesday March 26, 2008. Widmark, who made a sensational film debut as the giggling killer in "Kiss of Death" and became a leading man in "Broken Lance," "Two Rode Together" and 40 other films, died at his home in Roxbury after a long illness. He was 93. AP Photo - Nick Ut

Hey, Joe -- Thanks for the kudos. I appreciate it. I've been meaning to post on one of the Widmark threads because I'm a big fan of his thanks to film noir. He's rather similar to Robert Ryan (another huge fave of mine) in the fact that each were noted for playing despicable, nasty characters in film yet their true-to-life personalities were far removed from such hatred. I truly admire an actor who can portray something they are not and do so to near perfection. Widmark was one of the best at this and I dare say he never received the accolades he deserved because he played such characters. The same can be said of Ryan.

Hi, Celluloid Kid -- Love the posters! I always like seeing how a film was pitched to an audience.

Ciao, Whistlin' Gypsy -- Thanks for posting the Widmark "Star" tribute and photos. I really enjoy reading your comments on film. You're a very intelligent film-watcher and a wonderful writer. I admire your far-reaching tastes in film. It's quite impressive.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings