Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"So Young, So Bad" ... so so ...

scsu1975

Did anyone see this? It was the last movie in the Tuesday night "shrinkfest" lineup. Paul Henreid stars as a progressive psychiatrist at a girls' "correction institution." Naturally, the place is run by a scumball superintendent and matron, played by Cecil Clovelly and Grace Coppin respectively (yeah, I never heard of them either, and with good reason - each only made a few films, and it's easy to see why). Clovelly looks like Darryl F. Zanuck, while Coppin looks like Jackie Coogan in drag.

This film "introduces" Anne Francis, Anne Jackson, and Rita Moreno (billed as Rosita Moreno) as delinquents. Francis had already appeared in a bit in Portrait of Jennie, so technically this was not her first film appearance. Moreno is the least recognizable of all; she looks like a young Rachel Ticotin. However, she does have the meatiest part, playing the film's most tragic figure.

The most bizarre look-alike award has to go to Catherine McLeod, as Henreid's love interest. In the early scenes, playing a somewhat repressed woman, she looks remarkably like Preston Foster. She does get better looking as the film progresses.

There are a few jarring scenes in this movie, which are quite effective. However, the dubbing and editing are not first-rate, for sure. Still, it is worth a look if TCM shows it again, if only to see the three young actresses beginning their film careers.

The most bizarre look-alike award has to go to Catherine McLeod, as Henreid's love interest. In the early scenes, playing a somewhat repressed woman, she looks remarkably like Preston Foster. She does get better looking as the film progresses.

For such questionable taste in women, Henreid's character probably should have been committed to an institution for the criminally androgynous.

I think that pose is pretty scary too, scsu, but maybe the comparison to Foster has permanently frightened me off :)

I saw a lot of the movie, and your review of it is accurate. That hosing scene is something I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Early the next morning, Anne Francis was shown in another movie,1965's The Satan Bug.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings