Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Katharine Hepburn YES but WHY? Cher??

mallen8486

Katharine Hepburn was one the greatest actresses of our time. I will never forget all the wonderful times my sister and I watched her movies, when we were growing up. I do not understand why Cher is doing the intro for Star of the Month for January, 2004. There are actually people out there, still around, that worked with Miss Hepburn. Why would TCM ask Cher of all people? I wish TCM had thought this through a little more. Did they think about how offputting Cher is to your viewers? Atleast she is to me and I wish TCM had asked a valued fellow actor of Katharine Hepburn, instead of someone that wished they had known her.

I agree with Mongo. Personally, I found Cher's more "personal" (rather than "scripted") introduction of Kate Hepburn very poignant. It gave a perfectly genuine touch to how many of us felt about Miss Hepburn, i.e....totally in awe of her. I've also come to learn that Cher is a great fan of Classic movies, and also of TCM, which is also nice to know. But, I really liked having Cher do Hepburn's introduction because BOTH of them were incredibly "free spirits" in their profession...and because I admire that, it just seems fitting that Cher would be chosen to do this intro. ML

I agree with bansi4. It demonstrates the wide variety of personalities that have been influenced by Kate. Actually, it made me think of Cher in a different way, how she "grounds" herself with Hepburn movies while she travels. It is the contrast of Kate and Cher that delivers the stronger statement, although I consider them equally strong women in their own beliefs (even though it is Kate I most admire).

Notice the 2nd to last paragraph...

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Cher, whose "Sonny and Cher Show" once dominated America's televisions, and who has in recent years been an NBC favorite between farewell specials and "Will & Grace" guest spots, says she would never consider doing a sitcom or variety show for the networks again, and calls today's shows "mean and stupid."

Appearing in the upcoming Farrelly Brothers comedy "Stuck on You" with Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear, Cher plays herself as an Oscar-winning movie actress who does a TV show for FOX called "Honey and the Beas."

"If I ever would do TV again it would have to be for cable, HBO or Showtime," Cher says. "I don't like TV, I don't watch it. I like cable TV."

While she knows there must be good sitcoms out there, Cher says she hasn't found any. When she is home, she flips to The Movie Channel, Turner Movie Classics, C-SPAN, the History Channel and the Learning Channel as well as HBO and Showtime.

"I watch movies on TV, that's what I do, except for American Movie Classics, they're so out of touch," she disses, referring to AMC's move from showing classic films to becoming a broader target of TV for people who love movies.

And, as far as the reality fad goes, that's even worse. "I don't want to see some a**hole eat worms," Cher says.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|84989|1|,00.html

Until I read this post by cooperlane2 on Dec 3,2003 8:12 PM I had no idea that Cher felt the same way as I did about T.V. in general and classic movies. After reading the post I gained a new respect for her. And I also agree with those who have said in this thread that Cher is an independent strong minded woman, just as Kate was, so it does seem fitting they picked her for the promo.

I'm so glad to see this didn't turn into a Cher bashing thread!!!

From the time I was a kid watching the "Sonny and Cher Show", through "Mask" and "Moonstruck" I was what you'd call a "Closet Cher Fan" It was just always more acceptable to dislike her.

Her naritive on Hepburn shows she's a fan just like us!!!

I just want to chime in and say that I also enjoyed Cher's monologue on Kate the Great. And although I'm not a huge fan of her music, I thoroughly enjoyed her in "Moonstruck" - in which she WAS good, by all accounts. She was also good in "Tea With Mussolini." I was glad to read Stella's post and learn that Cher's a fan just like the rest of us, and that like me, she's given up on AMC.

What happened to the Anthony Hopkins intro for Kate? I'm all for Kate being Star of the Month but when people that have been star of the month in the past like Van Heflin, Shirly Maclaine, David Niven, and many others who have not received the same treatment from a modern star speaking on thier behalf and Kate already receiving two of them I take it as a bit of favortism on TCM's part toward her. This could even be another topic started somewhere else but I certainly find that TCM favors certain stars, and Kate is #1.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, maybe this will be considered "Cher-bashing",but..I can't STAND her voice,singing OR speaking,and hearing her talk about Katherine Hepburn or ANYthing is about as annoying to me as hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. Oh My God the nasality,the whiny pitch-yes, thank GOD for the mute button!!!

I won't even talk about that fake annoying "vibrato" in her singing! And sometimes I get SO TIRED of "strong independent" women who seem to equate those qualities with having foul mouths and no manners-but I won't Cher-bash! Hehehe!

I may not be a particular fan of Cher's when she is singing, although millions of people love her voice, but when it comes to acting (which is what we usually like to discuss at this site), Cher has proven herself to be an exceptional actress. I love her in every movie she has made, and totally admire her "free Spirit" approach to living! Go Cher!

ML

Well, I agree that she can act,I also loved her in "Moonstruck"(surprising myself), and in "Mask"(thank God that Bob Seger did the singing!). And the actual words to her Hepburn tribute weren't bad-she DID gush, but a girl WILL do that on occasion:) I just can't STAND her voice-I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to Hell???? She can not stand my voice if she likes(though how anyone couldn't like a honey-dripping Southern accent is beyond me,hahaha).