Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA

Bronxgirl48

Average, straightforward, somewhat boring 50's sci-fi, with Ray Harryhausen hampered by the low budget; nevertheless he manages to make the tentacles menacing in a graceful kind of way.

There's the usual annoying sexism, with marine biologist Faith Domergue a "new breed of woman" who nevertheless isn't above using feminine wiles to make a traumatized seaman open up about seeing the creature.

We know Kenneth Tobey is a real macho man because he has an all-American breakfast: juice, eggs, bacon, coffee; then orders a T-bone for lunch. He also has his work-related jokes: "What's wrong with a little radiation?"

I was more interested in the unusual earrings Faith wore during her Hawaiian repast than the story.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Domergue claims she is good in a crisis, but she screams the first time she sees the Octopus. Did you notice the scene near the beginning where Tobey is putting the moves on her in the lab? She is playing with a beaker.

Tobey hasn't even seen her out of her radiation suit and already he's interested.

Her male colleague wouldn't scream at a giant octopus of course.

Faith has a lot of charisma actually; she reads the "scientific" lines very convincingly and is a pretty decent actress.

But this movie has no thrills.

I've loved Ian Keith ever since seeing his outstanding performance as Pete in NIGHTMARE ALLEY. He sounded like himself to me here but what a waste of a fine actor. (I also saw him in FOG ISLAND the other day)

Were you the one who provided that great link to public domain movies on YouTube, where I saw it? I can't remember, forgive me. (or what thread it was on)

Thank you so very much!! I love the first link actually; I don't knw what to watch first! Maybe I'll start with AFRICA SCREAMS. Bless you! My mistake, it wasn't on YouTube of course.

I don't seem to have the necessary installations to access that site. I'm not too knowledgeable about computer matters in this regard.

Enjoyed AFRICA SCREAMS. Pretty lively, and Besser steals it, lol! Never saw Bud so greedy, or so distainful of his "buddy". But he gets his comeuppance, doesn't he?

And also watched BLACK DRAGONS. It's worth it to sit through until the unexpectedly grotesque finale!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings