Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mist 2008

Victor

I'm afraid I haven't made it out to a theater in some time. Popcorn, you didn't mention another, lousy, adaptation of I Am Legend, The Omega Man (1971). Maybe Chuck Heston fans liked it. I'd been looking forward to it at that time because of the Matheson book. I've always put that film into the category of "98 minutes of my life I'll never get back." And what a waste of the lovely Rosalind Cash.

Message was edited by: tobitz

I read the short story "The Mist" years ago (it was in the collection of Shor Stories: Skeleton Crew), and then saw the film on the big screen opening day!

It opened rather oddly on Thanksgiving Day 2007 LOL! For one the ending is not what is in the short-story...but the ending that Director Frank Darabont chose to use left me speechless!

I think after my partner and I left the theater we were very silent all day long!

I just bought my copy on DVD, and seeing it again I was still shocked! I really loved the fact that Director Frank Darabont went with a nontraditional happy Hollywood ending!

Director Frank Darabont also directed other King works into film W./" The Shawshank Redemption" & "The Green Mile". "The Green Mile" was not a good film adaptation!

BTW: If you buy: The Mist (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)

You get: The Director's Vision: The Complete Feature Film in Black & White...which was awasome! I wish Director Frank Darabont had stuck to his guns and released the film this way!This is exactly the kind of option a DVD fan buyer hopes for, but very few studios and directors bother to offer: a feature length version of a modern film, without color. The contrast between this and the color version of "The Mist is stark", of course. But, one must admit, the B&W version is infinitely more gripping. In essence, it is an unabashed tribute by Darabont to Rod Serling, whose eerie and creepy storytelling in The Twilight Zone informed much of this film?especially its shocking, no-holds barred ending.

I'm a film buff, but I will not waste my time on a 4th version of "I Am Legend" W./Will Smith!

1) The Last Man on Earth W./, Vincent Price

2) The Omega Man W./starring Charlton Heston

3) I Am Omega (Which went direct to DVD)

4) I Am Legend W./Will Smith

ONCE IS ENOUGH!!

I saw this in the theater and HATED THE ENDING. I have no problems with downbeat ending but this really went a bit too far. The film is a very well done sci-fi/horror/monster movie. But like I said the ending was too dark for me- and most of the audience I saw it with did not like it either. As far as " I Am Legend' - Romero did the best version with the original " Night of the Living Dead"

Message was edited by: joefilmone

It's only human nature to want things to end up happily...hopefully; I don't know that Pollyanna would be the best way to describe wanting the best outcome.

But after two hours of blood, guts and horror...the expectation of a good turn-out might be expecting too much.

The ending was downbeat...and I loved it.

I loved the ending of "The Mist" too!! It was shocking and thought-provoking which was a good thing!

The thing is if you now somebody who hasn't seen "The Mist"...Shhhhhhh..don't even think about giving the end away...let them experience for themselves.."THEN" & only then talk about the film!!!

*Another film that passed under the radar is I Am Legend .*

Smith did do a fine job, and while the movie did let the book down, again, the CGI was really bad to the point of it looking like a SciFi channel original movie. The FX were like we stepped back almost ten years ago to the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie. A smaller movie like *30 Days of Night* showed that it wasn't necessary to go the CGI route and compromise the movie.

But Smith did catch the spirit of the character's loneliness and the psychological affects it caused.

Why they could never stay true to Matheson's original story, even if they changed the decade and modernized it, is a shame.

I'm a HUGE fan of this movie, and [this review of The Mist best sums up why...|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/Reviews/mist.asp]. I particularly love the B&W version, which is, for my money, one of the best horror movies ever made.

That Darabont got away with that ending nowadays, with studio looking for almost solely commercial product... wow. What an anti-mainstream finale. It's too bad the film wasn't released theatrically in B&W, I'd love to see that version on the big screen.

Message was edited by: ArchieLeech

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings