Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little things, but ....

DTsWereMe

sorry, it was not clear...I was giving an example of little things you might see in a film that while of

little consequence to the story...they still annoy somewhat

I have seen many instances in films where the actor hangs up the phone before he finishes speaking into it.

better?

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, that's better.

>

> I've noticed that a lot of people in films just stop talking and hang up the phone without ever saying "goodbye". I don't know of anyone in real life who does that.

Also, all the times that people close the door of a car or a house or office and don't bother locking it.

Or all the times a character never fails to find a parking spot right next to the place they're going.

Also, all the times that people close the door of a car or a house or office and don't bother locking it.

Or all the times a character never fails to find a parking spot right next to the place they're going. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

And, of course, no one ever fumbles for the keys when getting into a car. I guess they're already in the car. Yeah, everybody does that, leaves their keys in the car.

Also, all the times that people close the door of a car or a house or office and don't bother locking it.>>

But if it's a classic movie wouldn't locking the house, office or car be out of place? Most people back then didn't lock their home or car when leaving.

By many accounts it wasn't until the last forty or so years that people began doing that.

Or how about the frequency with which, when the camera angle favors it, characters get into a car on the passenger side and then slide over to the driver's seat.

I find it hard to believe that people actually did this even when most cars did have bench seats.

And in the parallel universe of films evidently there's no need for a rear view mirror since no cars ever seem to have one.

>Or how about the frequency with which, when the camera angle favors it, characters get into a car on the passenger side and then slide over to the driver's seat. I find it hard to believe that people actually did this even when most cars did have bench seats.

I can remember real-life as far back as about 1947, and I don't remember anyone ever doing that. And almost nobody ever changed drivers while they were actually driving.

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> am probably an idiot, but what are you trying to say?

>

> I'm not sure; he hung up the phone before he finished speaking.

Thanks for trying! Lol!

I always feel a little lost on mondays, because my family has a rule of no computer on sundays. So I get on and I am like "where is everything".

Anyways something that always annoys me (someone has probably already listed this, but....) when people leave their house or car unlocked. AND when ladies wake up (especially in old musicals) with perfect make-up on. THAT is REALLY annoying :)

NOTE: Okay, now I am an unoriginal idiot! Both of the things I wrote above were already posted!

Message was edited by: ILoveRayMilland

I'm not sure how Don Ameche entered into the conversation, but... :)

Glad you all brought up the question of makeup in the middle of the night...was watching Some Like It Hot last night and got to thinking...wouldn't Jack Lemmon stand out if "she" didn't remove "her" makeup before going to bed?

I've often wondered about this. (People getting into cars on the passenger side, then sliding over.) Why would they do that? I'm like Fred. I vaguely remember those big seats. If my father had done that, we would have laughed all day!

Off topic, here's a point about modern movies. The character has to go somewhere. He puts on his coat. Walks through the parking lot. Gets in his car. Drives to his destination. JUST GET THERE! We can assume he put on his coat and drove! Old movies were all about getting to the point. That concept seems to have been discarded.

Finally, why does Gary Cooper shoot the sidewalk in HIGH NOON? He seeks shelter in a building. On his way in, he draws his gun, BANG! Fires at the ground. If he'd done this as Sergeant York, the Germans would have won the war!

>Finally, why does Gary Cooper shoot the sidewalk in HIGH NOON? He seeks shelter in a building. On his way in, he draws his gun, BANG! Fires at the ground.

Ha, being an old timer myself, I know the answer. He is shooting the lock off the door so he can go inside. Apparently that door was locked. They used to do that in old movies.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings