Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too Young To Die......The Great Bobby Darin

ILoveRayMilland

I just wanted to start a thread to honor the legendary and great Bobby Darin. He truly died too young at age 37! He was a great actor (nom. 1963) and an even better singer! (I love listening to him!) Watching him makes me SMILE, he was just so much fun! I especially love the movies he did with his wife Sandra! They made such a great couple, and they're son is an exact duplicate of Bobby! Especially if you watch clips of him with his son when he is three or four, he looks like a mini Bobby (he has the smile and the hair :) ). Anyways please add your own favorite stuff about the legendary Darin!

If you have stuff to write please do! But I must ask that this thread be used as thread to honor his movies, music, etc. Please do not use this thread to talk about his personal life (UNLESS you have something nice to say! :) ), because nobody really knows about the personal life of a star!

Thanks, ILRM

I almost posted earlier over on the "foursome" discussion. I was happy to see a Darin thread.

The guy was amazing. He seemed able to do drama or comedy equally well.

I watched "Pressure Point" when TCM showed it earlier this month and wasn't surprised to see such a great performance. In spite of all his nominations, the guy still is underrated as an actor. (btw, he shared the 1962 Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer with Richard Beymer and Warren Beatty). Maybe people think more of his comedy work and don't give him enough credit for the drama. He could do punk when needed. He could do suave when needed. Equal parts John Garfield and Sinatra, depending on the movie.

His singing was as varied as his acting, going from Splish Splash to Mack the Knife to If I Were a Carpenter.

I haven't seen "Beyond the Sea," at least not yet, because I prefer to remember Darin as I do, not as portrayed by someone else.

Thanks for starting the thread, ILRM.

-- tobitz

Saw a clip of him recently doing Fagin in one of the big numbers. It wasn't a stage production, rather a concert setting with people sitting in the round, don't know where it took place. I might not have recognize him had I not known, he was made up pretty good. Fascinating because this sort of number is not what he's known for. But he was good. Yeah, he and Sandra, a great couple. Sad to think they are both gone. They should have lived forever, those two.

Bobby was just amazing! As I said before he had a personality that made you smile! I love watching him in "Come September" (even though he only has a supporting part) Because he is so good, even in his film debut! Even that movie he doesn't seem to be a debuting actor in a little role. He seems to be a lead. When he is playing his parts he is the lead! It is really funny!

• 3 weeks later...

Ray,

Barry Levinson and Kevin Spacey wanted to do the movie but it took them many years to finally find the backing. By that time, Levinson had moved on but it was Spacey's dream to play Bobby Darin so, though a few years too old, he went ahead and starred and since Levinson was gone, directed it as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings