Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A "Rose McGowen" Convert

MGMMayer

I have to admit that I was skeptical and even a little bitter when it was first announced that Rose McGowen would be Robert Osborne's new co-host on "The Essentials". I thought, "HER? Why HER? What does SHE know about classic films? Are they just going for the 'young, hot eye candy' factor to attract viewers?" However, after seeing her co-host for several weeks now, I must admit that I'm impressed and enjoy her on TCM. She's knowledgable about films, but not in a smug "Look how SMART I am!" way, and her personality is pleasant and non-abrasive. Robert Osborne appears to actually enjoy sitting and talking with her about films, instead of the discussion being a "Point-Counterpoint" battle of wills.

I'm glad that I can admit that I was wrong about Ms. McGowen.....She seems to be working out fine on TCM, and while I didn't think that I would enjoy watching and listening to her at first, she has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise!

I'm also enjoying Rose and her chemistry with Da Man, Robert Osborne. I also was skeptical of her at first (quietly so, always willing to give anyone a chance), but I'm grooving to her. Sometimes she seems a little lost (note her intro to the Laurel and Hardy films a few weeks ago, but that was her first session and a tough one for her, I'm sure!), but her heart is in the right place and that is all you can ask, when it's all said and done.

I also liked Carrie "Princess Leia" Fisher, she also had good chemistry going on with Robert.

I caught just the tail end of the intro to *The Great Escape* on Saturday but was really impressed with Ms. McGowan's mentioning of the music score in the film. She pointed out that scenes featuring the Nazis used only certain instruments of the orchestra (string section, I believe) while the scenes of Allies were scored using completely different instrumental accompaniment (Woodwinds and brass). I never noticed that before.

She obviously thinks about film in ways that go beyond just the plot and the perfomances. And that makes her a great addition to the series.

Kyle In Hollywood

For my two cents, Rose McGowan has been great.

I'm not really a "convert" --- I was willing to give her a fair shot --- but she's a real breath of fresh air. She brings out the best in Robert O., and she's WAY more fun than Carrie Fisher was. And as previously noted, Robert O. seems to genuinely enjoy her.

I LOVED her saying, in a nice way, that she is not really a fan of "All About Eve," even while acknowledging what a great film it is. Imagine the heresy: NOT A FAN OF ALL ABOUT EVE. But: no jokey, sophomoric, silly references or fratboy jokes (Ben Mankiewicz, are you listening?) -- just making her point in an intelligent way. I bet most of us disagree with her distaste for "Eve," but I for one respect her take on it, and the way she presented it.

So far, I'm on Team Rose.

I caught just the tail end of the intro to The Great Escape on Saturday but was really impressed with Ms. McGowan's mentioning of the music score in the film. She pointed out that scenes featuring the Nazis used only certain instruments of the orchestra (string section, I believe) while the scenes of Allies were scored using completely different instrumental accompaniment (Woodwinds and brass). I never noticed that before.

That you never noticed it before is likely because it really isn't true. Though it is -- or was -- common for a composer to apply different orchestral pallettes to a film's various characters, in addition to the specific themes assigned to them (at least in the great old days of film-scoring, when composers knew the dramatic value of assigning leitmotivs to characters, and still had the training and talent to carry it out), the idea that Elmer Bernstein wrote a string-only motiv for the Germans is absurd, especially since it frequently (though not always) employs percussion to emphasize the martial aspects of the Gestapo and Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht troops.

• 2 weeks later...

Listen. Not to be cynical, but Rose McGowan is as "knowledgeable" about films as her writers are. Do you really think she actually researches this stuff herself and then just happens to drop in these juicy little gems and bon mots about certain films? Ditto Osborne. This is show biz folks and the two of them are entertainers. McGowan is a minor actress who was clearly brought on to help with what TCM must think is a "problem with young demos." "Hey, let's toss off that old hag Princess Leia and get us some hot, red-haired chick!"

I'm not saying she might not be good as a foil to Osborne, but don't fool yourselves about her depth of classic film knowledge. And, for what it's worth, I think anyone who trashes "All About Eve" is clueless. In fact, I'd like to ask the well-scrubbed Ms. MdGowan how she feels about it...in about 20 years....when she is closer to Margot's age....

Ron

In fact, I'd like to ask the well-scrubbed Ms. MdGowan how she feels about it...in about 20 years....when she is closer to Margot's age....

Davis was 42 when she played Margot Channing; at 35, McGowan is all of seven years younger. Davis just started old, and got older, though the fact that the movies she, and most actresses, were given to play in her day were about more mature characters and subjects than the frivolous rubbish that predominates now.

I applaud an interest in, and a passion for vintage films in anybody of Rose McGowan's age group. It truly warms my heart and helps reassure me that old flicks are timeless and will live on to be appreciated by coming generations.

As to the "eye candy" factor; let's not kid ourselves, that too is a very timeless part of human nature. Our beloved old films are fully loaded down with this; it "sold" in 1933, it will "sell" in 2333!

She is young and will no doubt continue growing in her knowledge and experience. She has great enthusiasm and her personality is also warmer than that of Carrie Fisher.

Thelma

oh my goodness! i was wtching rose on TCM the other day and my mom walked in the room andsaw hertalking and immidiately momma shouted, "whats rose mcgowen doing on here?" i told her that she is the new essantial girl iwth robert, and she said, "okay thats wrong! everytime i see her, i always think of her with one leg and lifting her other leg to shoot people!" i turned to momma and just looked at her. my goodness!

• 3 weeks later...

God - or whatever you believe in - bless you for your comment! I am having stomach aches since she is on the Essentials. I do not normally yell at my TV nor do I have to put TCM (mind you, THE ONLY CHANNEL I watch) on mute, but I just cannot listen to her babble. At first, her comments were as substantial as: "I like this and I love that," then TCM must have realized that we are not going to tolerate this little puffy-eyed red (empty) head without a riot, so they got her writers - as you said - and now she notices things about the movies and she seems to know more than calling The Great Escape an escapism. Yeah, most of us after a hard day of work would like to kick back in a concentration camp... What an idiot. Am I allowed to use that word on these boards? If not, I will apologize and replace it with an euphemism. And you thought you were cynical... you made me feel so much better. I had to get this off my chest. Thanks!!! BTW, how much longer are we subjected to this torture? I cannot wait to get someone knowledgeable back like Molly Haskell.

Andrea

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings