Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Gallery

metsfan

Johanna,

Wow, what an awesome photo! I have seen almost nothing of Gilbert Roland in Silent films? Though He does appear in THE PLASTIC AGE (1925) with Clara Bow.

Roland's screen name was a combination of John Gilbert, and Ronald Coleman, who were the top leading mean of the day. This is no kidding. He even looks like a combination of them! Mary Astor is stunning here!

I'm glad you liked it Jeffrey! On IMDB it said his name was a combo of John Gilbert and Ruth Roland which I am not familiar with. I've never seen any of Gilbert Roland's silents but I imagine he did great. How is his performance in "The Plastic Age"? As always, thanks for amount of info you provide.

Hope others post some pictures!

Johanna,

I haven't seen much of Ruth Roland either. But She was a beautiful Woman. A big name Silent film Star with little surviving work to my knowledge? I do have a number of Ronald Coleman's Silent's though.

THE PLASTIC AGE is one of Clara Bow's better known films, but it is not all that memorable. Roland has no mustache in this film. Her Co-Star is actually Donald Keith, who she made several films with at Universal. Bow also made some films with Roland at Paramount I believe?

I never heard of ROSE OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1927), before? I wonder if it still exists? Was this film made at Paramount?

Johanna,

Unfortunately, only about 40 some of the First National pictures Silent's still survive. Most of which I have in some form or other. So I would be surprised to learn if ROSE OF THE GOLDEN WEST (1927), turned out to be one of them? The number does not count the Chaplin releases, exhibted by the company.

Sad to admit, I have tried posting Photo's many times, but have not had much success with it. Otherwise, I would put up some of the Star portraits that I have colorized here, and elsewhere.

Jeffrey, if the quoting option still exists, just use the code that appears on one of my pictures and paste your url instead. Let me know if you have trouble. As far as the film goes, I hope it still exists because the costumes are amazing.

Jorge,

Huh, Not a very flattering Image of Bebe Daniels. She was much prettier than that. Why don't you post the SHE'S A SHEIK Movie Poster with the apparent true Color photograph on it? She looks very beautiful in that one!

By the way, I sent THE YOUNGER GENERATION a few minutes ago.

Johanna: a great idea for a thread! I am looking forward to seeing Mary Astor in more of her silent film roles. I agree with Jeff, she is stunning in that photo; she and Gilbert Roland make a lovely screen couple. I saw Ram?n Novarro and Joan Crawford in Across to Singapore when it aired on TCM a week or more ago. Crawford and William Haines made a sweet and touching screen couple in their three films, but there is something delicate, almost fragile, about her pairing with Ram?n Novarro .

Jorge: thank you for all the posters you have shared with us. I have really enjoyed seeing the artwork that accompanies the films: the colors, the images and the attention to detail, each is a small work of art. I am especially impressed that you found a poster for The Woman Disputed. I have been searching for information on one of the actors in the film, but I was unable to discover a movie poster. Thanks again.

14.jpg

Arnold Kent 1899-1928

Arnold Kent was one of two actors who appeared in Beau Sabreur (1928) along with Gary Cooper and William Powell. Arnold Kent appeared as Raoul de Rendon and Raoul Paoli appeared as Dufor two legionnaires who, along with Cooper?s ?Sabreur?, are jailed for over staying their leave in Algiers. Kent was born Lido Manetti in Florence, Italy in 1899. He was appearing in The Four Feathers in 1928 when he died as the result of a pedestrian-automobile accident. Those scenes in which he appeared were reshot and his role was recast. He was also being consider for the role of Stanley ?Stan? Wentworth in Mary Pickford?s Coquette (1929) at the time of his death. Actor Matt Moore later portrayed the role of Wentworth in the film that won Pickford an Oscar.

The Woman Disputed (1928) was Norma Talmadge?s last silent film (albeit with a synchronized musical score). Talmadge appears as Mary Ann Wagner, a European orphan girl jointly (and unofficially) adopted by two young military officers: Paul Hartman, an Austrian, played by Gilbert Roland and Nika Turgenov, a Russian, played by Arnold Kent.

wd9.jpg

title card: "Wait Nika--I don?t think she had anything to do with it." Gilbert Roland, left, Norma Talmadge, center, and Arnold Kent, right.

wd13.jpg

title card: ?My Two Musketeers.? Gilbert Roland, Norma Talmadge and Arnold Kent

The theme song for the film, Woman Disputed, I Love You seemed to have something of a ?notorious? reputation at the time of the film?s release. You can hear an excerpt of a damaged disc of the theme song, on the Vitaphone Varieties website. The song is by The Gennett Concert Orchestra with a male soloist and was recorded in 1928. The link for the audio file is the last selection at the bottom of this page.

http://vitaphone.blogspot.com/search?q=Woman+Disputed

Thanks for all the info and photos you've provided! I enjoyed hearing the song even though I haven't seen "A Woman Disputed". The film sounds exciting as it reminds me of John Payne and Sonja Henie's "Sun Valley Serenade".

I think this photo sums up your wonderful description of the pairing in "Across To Singapore".

ATS.jpg

Jeffrey, last night I was able to watch "Mare Nostrum" and it blew me away. It's one of the most dramatic silent films I've ever seen. Antonio Moreno was masterful in this role showing desperation and anger towards his enemies for killing his son. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see this. "It" was highly enjoyable and funny. I was really impressed with Clara Bow and William Austin, they made a great comedic duo. Was Mr. Austin popular? Based on this film he seemed like a physical comedian ready to work alongside the best actors of this genre.

Mare Nostrum

MN2.jpg

MN.jpg

Johanna,

I think I sent you two versions of IT (1927), correct? I couldn't decide which because, one had the Clara Bow documentary, but the other had the Carl Davis score. Which one did you see? Than again, maybe I only ended up sending the Thames presentation? I am not sure?

MARE NOSTRUM, I will need to look at again myself. Rex Ingram was a great director who has been forgotten.

Happy that you are enjoying the films.

Johanna: I?m glad that you enjoyed the photos and listening to the music from The Woman Disputed. I?ve read several brief reviews of the theme song that were not complimentary. The song seems to have had a notorious reputation at the time of the film?s release. I don?t know if my tastes are less sophisticated than someone of the time, but I really like this song. I feel that it is a window into the world of eighty years ago, however small and however brief the view. I like the sense of connection with something that the original audience for the film would have known.

I?m afraid that I left you with the wrong impression that this was a sweet, light-hearted comedy (the ?Two Musketeers? might be responsible.) If this film had been made a year later, with full sound, I believe it would now be considered a Pre-Code title. The film?s title, The Woman Disputed probably has two meanings: Norma Talmadge plays Mary Ann, a woman whose reputation is in dispute, and as the story progresses she finds herself the object of a dispute.

When Paul (Roland) and Nika (Kent) first meet Mary Ann, she is falsely accused of killing a man who has ?shared her company? for an evening. Paul convinces Nika that Anna is in fact innocent and the three form a close friendship. Paul and Nika both fall in love with the Mary Ann, who returns Paul?s affection, and soon their life-long friendship turns to bitter hate. As Russian declares war on Austria, the three follow very different paths against a backdrop of battle. When Mary Ann encounters Nika again, he is at the head of a Russian troop occupying her town. She attempts to intervene on behalf of her townsmen, who Nika has scheduled to be shot, but he demands her ?affection? in return for their release.

wd25.jpg

title card: ?Nika, won?t you please believe me.?

The following is an excerpt from a review: Variety, November 14, 1928.

"Kent, as the menace, does well until his final appearance in his death sequence. It is too heavily overdrawn, out of proportion to the smooth, even direction which characterizes the general tone of the picture. Roland serves as the lead."

The following is an excerpt from a review: Photoplay, December 1928.

"Arnold Kent gives a magnificent characterization of Nicolai Tourgenov, the Russian, and Gilbert Roland, as Paul von Hartmann, the Austrian, registers another personal conquest. A gorgeous production, smoothly directed--and a distinct triumph for every member of the cast."

200px-Batman_%281943_serial%29_poster.jpg

William Austin appeared as Bruce Wayne?s butler, Alfred in the 1943 The Batman serial. Shortly after the serial was released, Alfred in the comics was changed to match William Austin?s physical characteristics, previously the character had been short, fat and minus the mustache; this representation of the character has continued to this day.

batman43-3.jpg

William Austin as Alfred in The Batman (1943)

43Alfred.jpg

William Austin with Lewis Stone as Bruce Wayne/The Batman (1943)

letsimage005.jpg

William Austin as Basil Pistol, Charles Sellon as Grandpa Wallace Wendle and Jeanette MacDonald as Joan Wood in Let?s Go Native (1930). The film is described as ?one of the most interesting bad films ever made.? William Austin does a little singing in the film:

3278798.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=2C48553CC6AAB74CECB7CF848757A2AAA55A1E4F32AD3138

William Austin, the English character actor and comedian, watering his garden in Hollywood circa 1934.

Johanna: I found some interesting information on William Austin. His career continued into sound films and took an interesting turn in 1943:

22.JPG

William Austin as Monty Montgomery, Antonio Moreno as Cyrus Waltham and Clara Bow as Betty Lou, the It Girl (1927).

04.JPG

Red Hair (1928) another film by Elinor Glyn, the author of IT.

14.JPG

William Austin as Dr. Eustace Gill and Clara Bow as Bubbles McCoy in Red Hair (1928).

Excellent stuff, Whistlin' G! I really enjoyed what you wrote about William Austin and the Batman serial. You are very correct about Austin being the model for who many of us Batman fans have come to know as "Alfred." Marvelous info. Thanks.

Thanks a ton for taking the time and searching the extensive career of Mr. Austin. I just checked IMDB and noticed the only other film I have of him is "The Gay Divorcee", with Fred and Ginger. Haven't seen this in a long time so I'll probably view it over the weekend. Even though he's uncredited in "Charley's Aunt" as a spectator, I'm going to look for him. I wonder if his version of Alfred was comical or serious knowing how funny he could be. Thanks once again for all this interesting info!

The Navigator

BKB.jpg

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

HOND.jpg

The Kid

charliechaplin.jpg

The Beloved Rogue

TBR.jpg

You captured my thoughts exactly with the photo of Joan Crawford and Ramon Navarro in Across from Singapore.

midshipmanross1298.jpg

Ramon Navarro as James Randall in The Midshipman (1925) Joan Crawford had a small, uncredited role in this film.

ramonnavarrofull.jpg

Ramon Novarro as Pince Karl Heinrich in Student Prince of Old Heidelberg (1928) Norma Shearer played Kathi in this film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings