Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Horror of Dracula

joefilmone

I took a look at this Hammer classic on DVD- Sangster's screenplay may be a very loose adaption of the novel but this may still be the best "Dracula " movie. Peter Cushing is a very rational scientific Van Helsing. Lee is terrifying Dracula ( and the woman can't wait for him to bite them!) Fisher out did himself in directing the exciting climax.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite Dracula film is DRACULA (1931). HORROR OF DRACULA is definitely one of the best Hammers, but I always preferred BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960).

I agree with you, Prince.

HORROR OF DRACULA is good, although it plays fast and loose with the characters in the book, rearranging them or, in the case of Renfield, eliminating them altogether.

But for atmosphere, pace, and what is arguably Peter Cushing's finest turn as Professor van Helsing, it's BRIDES OF DRACULA all the way. And, what a doozy of a climax!

When you spoke of "the best Dracula movie" I thought you meant, "...the best of the movies that stick to Stoker's story," however loosely. And I would probably agree, but I'd like to see Coppola's version again. I saw it when it opened, and I remember being impressed for the most part, though the score failed to accentuate for me the more dramatic elements.

And *Brides of Dracula* is a favorite of mine, too. It sure put the lie to all that sugar and spice talk I was hearing at the time. A valuable lesson.

Somebody mentioned that to me before. Probably you. I'll have to hunt that one down.

I definitely think the Count should be a seductive ladies man type, like Christoher Lee, as opposed to the freakish and bloodless old coot-with-a-nasty habit type. Jourdan? I wouldn't of thought of him for the part, but why not?

I don't think anyone has done the "best" version of Dracula yet. However the BBC version with Louis Jourdan was the closest adaptation so far to Stoker's novel. There were a few scenes that I think should have been added (like the mother of the baby that Dracula handed over to his three vampire "wives" pleading to the Count to return her baby to her and then being attacked by wolves.) Also I couldn't help but think that Max Von Sydow would have made a better Count Dracula than Jourdan, wearing the mustache that Dracula was described as having in the novel. Also it would have looked better had they filmed the whole production.

• 4 weeks later...

I am such a huge fan of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Especially Cushing who

was so versatile. I was delighted when he appeared in "Star Wars". The Hammer

films were unsurpassed.

A few months ago, I saw "Bram Stoker's Dracula" starring Gary Oldman (1992).

I was so impacted by the lush production, but I couldn't decide if I could endure it.

It was beautifully filmed but very gory. I am used to tamer versions I suppose.

Gary Oldman won an Oscar for his portrayal. I watched it because it was directed

by Francis F. Copolla and also starred Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing. I would

be interested in other opinions if you have seen this version.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings