Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Garbo's best movies

Seriously, I cannot see what was fantastic with this actress. Beautiful, no question..but everyone seems to be raving about her acting. Well, I just was messing around with my remote and lo and behold there she was with John Barrymore in "Grand Hotel"...It was the scene where she 'vants to be alone"..and her facial expressions were making me nervous. Like a bedbug was crawling under her dress. If you get a chance, watch that particular scene. Obviously unique in a industry that was still very young and there was nothing like her at that time. Today, she wouldn't even last..it was more than the mystique the movie moguls of that time had set up. Surely, I am going to offend some of her fans, but its my opinion.

It's your opinion, but I wouldn't voice it to many people, if I were you

GRAND HOTEL was made in1932., before the Hippies, Women's Lib, the automatic washing machine, automatic transmissions, e-mail, the computer and phones that take pictures

The World was different and so were moviegoers needs and tastes.

If you can't view vintage films and actors with that in mind, you're cheating yourself out of a lot of enjoyment.

Well, I don't think that anyone should be 'required' to like any actor or actress - no matter how famous or popular. And I frankly find it absurd that people take offense to others not liking their favorites for one reason or another.

Each of us has different backgrounds and temperaments...and can therefore 'connect' to one actor/actress or another...while not connecting to other actors/actresses that other fans enjoy. And the same goes for the type of characters various actors/actresses typically play.

It shouldn't be taken personally - it's simply a matter of personal preference.

I care not in the slightest if another fan doesn't like Gary Cooper - who I pretty much worship. And I don't consider them to be any less of a fan...or less 'educated' about classic film simply because they don't share my passion. And I would hope that others would offer me the same consideration.

As for Garbo - I do think she was very beautiful...and I really enjoyed her acting in her silents. IMO, her silents rocked! I'm not as crazy about her talkies, however - I find alot of her characterizations too melodramatic for my personal taste. Too much moaning and sighing.

If people dislike me for holding that opinion - that is their problem, not mine. If their ego is that fragile, that they can't stand another faceless fan on the internet to disagree with them...well, there is not alot I can do about that.

I have no opinion on Garbo (haven't seen enough). Although I never get why people think she is beautiful. Please enlighten me if anybody can! I mean I like the Swedish ladies! Ingrid is the most beautiful person to ever walk this Earth!

But I do get what your saying about different people having different tastes.

For instance I don't really like Cooper, Bogart, Stewart, or Fonda. (those certain dislikes can get you into A LOT of trouble.) But that's is alright. People get upset when other people BASH their favorites. It is alright to say one doesn't like a person, but it isn't good to say "so and so was a horrible person and actor and they were ugly, oh and they killed somebody!" :)

Anyways here is a pic to delight her fans

greta_garbo_cover_2.jpg

I actually think she is really pretty in this pic.

Well, I don't think that anyone should be 'required' to like any actor or actress - no matter how famous or popular. And I frankly find it absurd that people take offense to others not liking their favorites for one reason or another.>>

PK,

Hello, it's been awhile!

Anyways, I agree with you. Johnbabe, however, is a devoted fan of La Garbo and can be quite vocal about that devotion and in doing so, can go a tad overboard.

I was just trying to warn Hedger.

Johnbabe's other threads devoted to Garbo give a good idea of how she devoted she is.

I agree with you. It is true that some people can be sensitive about their favorites and this is perfectly understandable, especially in Garbo's case, the Divine (there was no other actress who reached or attained that absolute total level of divinity). It was known always ever since her heyday in the twenties and thirties that there was an almost religious devotion from film admirers all over the world towards this Divine actress. Why? There are no easy answers to that, but I sincerely believe that no other actress has attained the heights of Garbo and her magical status. I really do not know whether it is easy to "explain" Garbo's case to people who do not "get" her appeal or not. The best way is to experience her in her films both her silents and talkies (I personally love both). This goes for her acting as well as her beauty. Both hold a special appeal to her admirers, they see a spiritual quality and magic which is extraordinary. You watch Garbo in close up and you feel that you are caught in a moment of eternity. It is a face which tells each member of the audience everything he or she wants to know about his or her life and much more. With the slightest glance or movemebnt of her head, a single syllable uttered with that magical voice she can say volumes that other actors would spent hours trying to convey through loud screams, long speeches or gesturing. Her beauty has nothing to do with the typical Hollywood beauty or typical sexy accessible stars from the fifties onwards. Garbo is in a category of her own. Those who love her (and there are a lot of people who do) find her incomparable, the greatest and most beautiful of actresses. But since the question by Johnbase was not why people like Garbo or not it was simply about which do we wonsider her best films, I will try and mention a few.

From the silents:

Woman of Affairs, Flesh and the Devil, Love, The kiss

From the talkies

Camille, "Queen Christina," "Anna Karenina", "The painted veil", "Ninotschka", "Grand Hotel", "As you desire me", "Susan Lennox" just to mention a few.

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> I have no opinion on Garbo (haven't seen enough). Although I never get why people think she is beautiful. Please enlighten me if anybody can! I mean I like the Swedish ladies! Ingrid is the most beautiful person to ever walk this Earth!

>

> But I do get what your saying about different people having different tastes.

> For instance I don't really like Cooper, Bogart, Stewart, or Fonda. (those certain dislikes can get you into A LOT of trouble.) But that's is alright. People get upset when other people BASH their favorites. It is alright to say one doesn't like a person, but it isn't good to say "so and so was a horrible person and actor and they were ugly, oh and they killed somebody!" :)

I agree with you about Ingrid Bergman - I think she is just breathtaking. And I think she is immensely talented. Even if a picture wasn't the greatest, Ingrid Bergman was wonderful in it. I think she is just awesome!

As for the male actors you mentioned, well, I'm gaga over Cooper, and I adore Bogie. Stewart I like most (although not all) of the time (I really like stuff like his Hitchcock films...but am not so excited about his Capra films, for example)...and try as I might, I can't warm up to Henry Fonda at all. So a mixed bag there.

I will say that each time I see your username, I resolve to try and see more Ray Milland pictures - I think I've only seen about 3 or 4...hardly enough to base a judgment. And your username has always been a reminder to me about how deficient I've been in my pursuit of Ray Milland pictures. :

Anyway, getting back to Garbo...I do love all of her silents - there is not one that I dislike. However, some of the talkies are like nails on a chalkboard to me - I love GRAND HOTEL and ANNA KARENINA, but I really dislike her version of CAMILLE (much prefer the silent Valentino/Nazimova version) and INSPIRATION was, IMO, one of her least inspiring outings! I have to be in the mood for QUEEN CHRISTINA as parts of it I love and other parts despise.

In short, her silents get an A from me...but the talkies would get closer to a C, perhaps, if you include all of them in one grade.

But again, that is my own personal opinions. Your mileage may vary! :)

It is interesting that you have mentioned the silent version of "Camille" with Nazimova. When I watched the film I thought it was some kind of a joke, with Nazimova's weird hairstyle and exagerated acting (although Valentino was very good as Armand). Well, Garbo's "Camille" is considered the greatest Lady of the Camelias of all time, I think most people would confirm that!

Well, how about you let 'most people' confirm for that for themselves, instead of speaking for them out of turn?

You don't know what 'most people' think any more than I do, unless, of course, you have conducted a statistically sound poll of...well, everyone on earth.

This is why *I* kept my remarks confined to discussion of my own personal opinions rather than projecting my opinions on a bunch of unknown 'most people' as if that alone would bring credibility to my view.

You think Nazimova overacted - I think Garbo overacted. My opinion is not any more 'correct' than yours, nor is your opinion more 'correct' than mine.

That was sorta the entire point of my post. ;)

Well I think you are the one who is overreacting. I did not say that you are not entitled to your opinion (you are free to say that you love the Nazimova version as I am free to say that I love the Garbo version). You said that you dislike the Garbo version, it is your right to say that as it is my right to say that I find Nazimova horrible in the part. As for other people expressing their opinion on the subject, everyone is free to express his or her opinion on this subject I never said the contrary. About Garbo's "Camille", it is however true that many people and critics regard it as one of the true great performances of all time on film, every single film historian and many film fans will say this.

At the risk of expressing my opinion on this heated topic, I agree with you. I have seen all of Garbo's talking and many of her silent films. Camille is my very favorite. I have watched it at least six times, lost count by now. Queen Christina and Grand Hotel are both strong performances, and among her silents: Love, Flesh and the Devil and A Woman of Affairs all stand out. But none of these are as memorable and poignant as Camille. The scene when she speaks to Armand's father (L. Barrymore) is superb, not overacting by any stretch. The two ladies have _very_ different styles, to me Garbo _is_ Camille...to each his own...

Camille is considered not only Garbo's greatest achievement but also by many film critics, the greatest performance ever put on screen along with the cast, watch all of them, the scene with Armand's father, was so touching, that my daughter was so taken by it she could not watch the movie again, it brought it so close to reality, she cannot bare to see the film again, that is how great Garbo was!

Garbo is listed int he Guiness Book of Records as the most beautiful woman who ever lived, her face was perfectly structured, each feature was perfect to the other, she almost looked like a statue

There is an extraordinary complexity in Garbo's performance as "Camille" and sometimes I think it takes many viewings in order to get all the shades of her performance. Garbo was always extraordinary in my opinion but in this one she really did give the "performance of a lifetime". Cynical at times, yet tender underneath, noble, tragic, light, sensual. Every single scene in the film is a masterpiece. The scene with the father is indeed magnificent, Garbo has suchdepth and such a moving dignity in that scene, when Barrymore asks her to leave his son as "humbly as if we would ask a favour from a queen", we believe it, Garbo has the noble soul of a queen. Note then the almost subsequent scene when she gives up Armand, that terryfying harsh look, the cynical laugh, the mask of desperation, quite simply extraordinary. The tragic grace with which she drops her fan, the immortal death scene etc. I read a lot of 19th centurey litterature (besides Alexandre Dumas Fils who wrote thenovel of "The lady of the camelias", Balzac's novels and when you read these you understand how wonderfully Garbo and with what genious she caught the spirit of 19th century in her acting. This is also why I love the scenes with Chopin's music accompanying her when she meets Armand at the auction and asks with such charm "Where are my marron glac?s" or when we listen one of Chopin's nocturnes when she retires at her room after she starts coughing wgile dancing the polka. I recently bought a book I was looking for a long time in French on "The Ladies of the Camelias" and they have a chapter before Garbo and after Garbo such is the impact of her performance.

I think she identified so completely with the part and gave so much to the character of Marguerite that you are right, there is something extremely painful and moving in every single scene of the film. My little nephew also loves the scene with the father especially the contrast we first see the happy carefree scene in the country with Garbo, Nanine and the other people chasing bees and then that extraordinary tragic confrontation with Armand's father.

But that is precisely the point of loving the cinema...people have varying likes and dislikes, sharing views adds to one's understanding and appreciation. For example, I was unfamiliar with the fine work of Ann Harding, Robert Montgomery and Ruth Chatterton until a friend and fellow movie buff pointed them out and shared some movies. (Thanks to RMS). I embrace everyone's freedom to hold a different view and respect it.

My parents watched Queen Christina with me last year and Dad remarked "I had no idea she could act"...Dad was born in the Depression and thought she was only a mysterious beauty with a husky voice! I asked him who his favorite actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood was and he said Alexis Smith. A tall, beautiful actress and very different from Garbo. He is also a big fan of Spencer Tracy. We all have different tastes, so be it.

That is just it. If you look at her in context of the 1920s and 1930s, she was incredibly glamorous, alluring, without being overdone. She has an unattainable quality. Garbo was smart to use great cameramen who photographed her to advantage through the right lighting. Simple hair styles, dark kohl trademark eye makeup and gowns by Adrian made her look like no one else. Garbo has a unique style all her own.

Does anyone remember that famous black and white close up of her face, holding her hair back? I think it is by Steichen (sic). I have a book upstairs w/a color vacation photo of Garbo. Her eyes are like pale faded denim, her hair golden brown. She looks like a natural beauty with perfect bone structure. I read when she was first in Hollywood studio bosses told her to lose weight, get her teeth capped and tamed her naturally curly hair with big rollers. In some of her early European silents she appears zaftig and unpolished.

Which is your favorite Ingrid Bergman movie? I love her too. Years ago when I was a Makeup artist for Lancome, got to meet her daughter Isabella Rosellini, another beauty. I was sad when she was not the Lancome spokesperson any longer. She had very unusual eyes like her Mom. Isabella's daughter is a beauty too.

Let's let those kids fight about Garbo (who I love) while you and I talk about Ingrid Bergman.

There were great beauties and other actresses who I really like; A-stars, B-stars...no matter. But there's something about Ingrid Bergman who breaks my heart. I can't stand to watch her tortured ("Notorious" "Gaslight") and I think she's incredibly sexy. She is truly one of my top two favorites. (Lovin' Isabella!)

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Let's let those kids fight about Garbo (who I love) while you and I talk about Ingrid Bergman.

>

> There were great beauties and other actresses who I really like; A-stars, B-stars...no matter. But there's something about Ingrid Bergman who breaks my heart. I can't stand to watch her tortured ("Notorious" "Gaslight") and I think she's incredibly sexy. She is truly one of my top two favorites. (Lovin' Isabella!)

Can I join you guys? Ingrid is my fav! And I think I have proved my devotion in other threads (and this one!)

I will just join without your consent! :) She was amazing, beautiful, and just amazing!!!!!!! She was one of the greatest actresses ever (in my opinion the greatest!). She was naturally beautiful! (she wore next to no make-up even on film, she refused to pluck her eyebrows, and cap her teeth.) An she was a great person!!!

My love for her is almost too much to express!!!!! Her greatest performance I think was in "Gaslight". She was so amazing. Even her eyes looked "insane". (she spent hours with insane women studying their eyes.)

bergman3.jpg

My favorite pic of her!

No fighting just a few words on Ingrid Bergman. She was one of my first idols from classic films. I believe the first film I watched with her was "Anastasia", then "Joan of Arc" and "For whom the bell tolls". True she has a natural and radiant beauty and an unforced and natural way of acting for the camera. Bergman herself was a great Garbo admirer although comparisons between these two great ladies are in my mind superficial and meaningless, since their careers spanned over different periods and contexts and their style and personalities are entirely different. Today in retrospect my favourite films with Ingrid Bergman are the following:

Notorious, Casablanca, Gaslight and the TV film she made which was her last on Golda Meier.

Nakis, Milland...I concur with you both on Ingrid Bergman and continue the mutual admiration society on Bergman.

I went to see her on Broadway years ago in "Captain Brassbound's Conversion" (I think that was the name of the play was).

I think she was beautiful and her vulnerability is palpable and tangible to me. Yes, no makeup...a natural girl. It's hard to watch "Gaslight" but she was wonderful in it. "Dr. Jekyl..." "Notorious" "Spellbound" "Indiscreet" soooooooooo lovely in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" Bergman in color...those eyes.

I don't want to sound crazy...I have a certain reputation I want to uphold on this board. So I'll stop the gushing before you not take me seriously. Now...Frances Dee is another story. Oh boy! She is absolutely a dream. She is soooooo..uh-oh. I'm gushing again.