Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Garbo's best movies

You are so lucky to have seen her on the stage, I wish I had. She did many plays and loved the stage as well. One of her biggest successes was "A month in the country" which she did in London I think in the 1960s with Michael Redgrave, Vanessa's father.

Yes that is the name of the film. I watched it back in the 1980s and thought it absolutely marvellous. Itw as her last part and was very ill during filming but went through it with great courage and gave one of her best performances.

My very favorites are Gaslight, Anastasia and Notorious...one course she was great in Casablanca, but I associate that movie more with Bogie somehow. Or maybe I have seen it too many times like Citizen Kane and GWTW. She was a beauty, but IMHO an unconventional one, which added to her appeal. Bergman was a classy lady too, and regrettably, we see far too little of that these days...class has more to do with attitude than looks!

Yes, Ingrid was a real classy lady...just ask her ex husband, if he's still around...she goes off to Italy and has an affair with the italian director, Rossilini...Anna Magnani's boyfriend at that time...real class.

Message was edited by: Hedger

Yes, Ingrid was a real classy lady...just ask her ex husband, if he's still around...she goes off to Italy and has an affair with the italian director, Rossilini...Anna Magnani's boyfriend at that time...real class.>>

And Bergman paid quite dearly for falling in love with Rossellini. She lost custody of her children, lost her marriage, was condemned on the floor of the US Congress, branded a harlot and condemned by the press and the keepers of the social mores of the day.

All of this happened at the height of her career coming off a string of success from *Casablanca* to *Spellbound* to the *Bells of St. Mary* and she had recently been an Academy Award winner for Best Actresss.

Her fall from grace lasted six years that she was out of the public spotlight and it wasn't until 1956 that she braved a comeback in *Anatasia* and was welcomed back not only the Silver Screen but the United States as well.

Through it all she never pointed fingers or blamed others for her very public fall but weathered the storm as best she could with exceptional grace given the circumstances.

I couldn't care less about how Ingrid Bergman ran her personal life. Further, it is my experience that judging someone is easy if you are not them and do not live in their skin - especially when it comes to matters of the heart, such as in this case.

Lord knows - if we disliked every single actor or actress who did something we disagreed with or found distasteful, whether personally or professionally, most of us would be left with a pretty short list of actors and actresses to love. These were, after all, human beings - and everyone has their flaws and weakness. Everyone makes mistakes. Some of them had affairs...some of them were known as being controlling or for being extremely difficult to work with. Some of them abused alcohol or drugs...some of them had very rigid political views and did distasteful things during the HUAC hearings.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with any Hollywood star who was 'perfect' - anyone who always did the 'right' thing.

If you want to dislike Ingrid Bergman because of Rossilini...then I guess you will have to dislike Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal...Bette Davis and many actors and directors....Errol Flynn and every woman on the planet....Charlie Chaplin and several different women....the list goes on and on.

You can't hate and boycott everyone in Hollywood who ever had an affair....or there would be precious few films left to watch. ;)

As for my Ingrid Bergman favorites - I guess the obvious one is still the best for me - *Casablanca*. I don't care if it's cool to dis *Casablanca* - I still think it's a great movie. And Ingrid Bergman was very much a part of the reason for that.

I also love *Notorious, Gaslight, Spellbound*, and *Indiscreet*.

Ingrid instilled elegance into every film she ever did. Wonderful lady!

In the "anything goes" attitude of today (think Brad and Angelina), her behavior would be just another messy star break up and not hugely scandalous. I think ladies always get more grief in these situations. Weren't Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren severely criticized too? Even by the Vatican? I admire them as great talents, still feel Bergman is classy despite the choices in her *private life.* The lady weathered the storm, survived and remained a star. If Cary Grant can remain her friend, as he did after this, when others snubbed her, I think we can learn from him. I do not condone her behavior, am separating it from her major contribution as an actress. Since Bergman is gone, it seems unseemly to criticize her, was all so long ago, especially since her children and grandkids are still around.