• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

hlywdkjk

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, it's the thought that counts. ;)

>

> And I'm sure that little kitten will melt the hearts of everyone in this thread. B-)

Can you advise this tech-less wonder how to post photos when the address doesn't fit? I can't get the hang of it.

Can you advise this tech-less wonder how to post photos when the address doesn't fit? I can't get the hang of it.

Well if you cut and paste the address, you may just add **

at the beginning, then move the cursor to the very end of the address (whether you can see it or not) and then add the " *>* " at the end.

So now you know what a big TOUCH OF EVIL fan I am, and how much I dearly love Orson as Hank. You shouldn't be surprised, however, since Welle's adaption (have you or anyone read the novel "Badge of Evil" btw?) is decidedly referential and playful, and you know how much I love to play.

sjff_01_img0501.jpg

I saw the original WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

for the first time last night. I haven't seen the Johnny Depp remake but I can't imagine anyone else but Gene Wilder in that part.

The Oompa-Loompas creeped me out, and I'm all grown up.

Well, most of the time.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Welle's adaption of the book (have you or anyone read it btw?) is decidedly referential and playful, and you know how much I love to play.

Not yet, but I would love to! B-)

I saw the original WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

for the first time last night. I haven't seen the Johnny Depp remake but I can't imagine anyone else but Gene Wilder in that part.

I'm a big Depp fan so I kinda liked him better. Gene Wilder was very good but sometimes I have found him a bit unnerving. However I really did enjoy him in *The Frisco Kid*, with Harrison Ford.

The Oompa-Loompas creeped me out, and I'm all grown up.

They had that same effect on me, too! :P

*So now you know what a big TOUCH OF EVIL fan I am,*

This is a really good thing as far as I'm concerned. :) I love that movie. Also, one of THE best soundtracks ever.

*I saw the original WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY*

*for the first time last night. I haven't seen the Johnny Depp remake but I can't imagine anyone else but Gene Wilder in that part.*

I thought I would hate the remake (even though I love Tim Burton) since the original is very near and dear to me, but I found that it had it's own updated brand of wierdness and sweetness that I like. In it's own way, it's quite faithful to the original. Neither of them are THAT faithful to the book-usually this bothers me, but I thought they were both good adaptations.

I thought I would hate the remake (even though I love Tim Burton) since the original is very near and dear to me, but I found that it had it's own updated brand of wierdness and sweetness that I like. In it's own way, it's quite faithful to the original. Neither of them are THAT faithful to the book-usually this bothers me, but I thought they were both good adaptations.

Glad to hear of someone else who also liked the remake. I generally like almost everything Tim Burton does, although I had mixed feelings about his remake of *Planet of the Apes*.

Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to Burton's live-action *Alice in Wonderland*. I think Johnny Depp is going to play the Mad Hatter. :x

I liked the Tim Burton one too, I think because he didn't try in any way to copy the Gene Wilder film. He had his own vision of the story, and that is a good reason to remake a movie. So many remakes now are simply cashing in on a commodity, but Burton seems to have wanted to bring out a different part of the story.

My favorite Burton film of all time is *James and the Giant Peach*. It is a marvelous film, and I think any kid (or adult) who's had a rough childhood should see it. Actually, everybody should see it, regardless of their childhood! The themes of making your own family, fighting your fears, and not letting a bad childhood stop you from having a great life make this one very emotional for me. Burton has made a very empowering kids movie here, and hopefully, many kids were influenced by the film to make their own happiness, to believe in their own goodness and worthiness in spite of harsh adult treatment.

My favorite Burton film of all time is James and the Giant Peach. It is a marvelous film, and I think any kid (or adult) who's had a rough childhood should see it.

Jackie, *James and the Giant Peach* is another of my animated faves. I think it was made the old-fashioned way, with stop-motion animation, before CGI became almost the only way to make animated movies.

Yes, Mica, it was. I forgot to mention how beautiful and imaginative it is, as well as having a great story and theme. My daughter saw it when she was little, and although she didn't watch the very beginnig (it's a little too rough for the age she was at the time), she loved the rest of the story.

In fact, we made a bag for preschool with James and the Giant Peach characters all over it! I printed pictures of the individual characters, and then put pictures of Alice, our family and her friends with them. On one side of the bag, Alice is riding in the balloon pulled by seagulls with all the bug and insect friends. On the other side of the bag, the peach is stuck on top of the Empire State Building with our friends and family (and pets) watching from below.

I am really proud of our artistic effort. :)

I can't for the life of me understand why this movie, of all the Tim Burton movies, just sort of fell thorgh the cracks.... I like it so much better than A Nightmare Bfore Christmas, and The Corpse Bride......

Hey, Scotchie! Don't apologize! I am glad you are here....especially if you agree with me :) though it's not necessary.....

I just love the movie, and I forgot to mention the songs too--- I know you are a musical buff as well. I really like the songs in this movie. "My Name is James" at the beginning always makes me cry.....

And also, one of my favorite actors is in it- Pete Postlethwaite. He should do tons and tons of movies. He's been fantastic in the few movies I've seen him in.

hey i know that name! i hadnt really put his fae with the movie yet. heehee! Pete was in the 2nd Jurrasic Park movie!! i know him! he was one of the main traquilizer dudes! heehee! okay, yeah i agree with you, he is a good actor, but i havent seen him in much.

i always found the songs in the movie to be very emotional, i love them! the James is so cute, even as a cartoon. thoswe mean ladies, who were his aunts, i felt so sorry for the poor baby!

I can't for the life of me understand why this movie, of all the Tim Burton movies, just sort of fell thorgh the cracks.... I like it so much better than A Nightmare Bfore Christmas, and The Corpse Bride......

I don't know, Jackie. I'm hoping some day it may be "rediscovered" by a new generation, hopefully when/if is released on Blu-Ray. I think Alfonso Cuar?n's remake of *A Little Princess* is also somewhat shamefully underrated or underappreciated. They are both great family movies, imho.

Is there any chance TCM could ever show *James and the Giant Peach*, I wonder? They have shown *Nightmare Before Christmas*.

i hope i didnt interrupt yout conversation, i would just like to agree with you. :)

wow! i havent seen James and the Giant Peach forever! i have to agree with you thats its such a great movie for people of all ages!! i know my mother loves it. heehee!

You'd never be "interrupting" anything, Theresa. :)

For what it's worth, my mom loves these kinds of movies, too. And speaking of her, someone drew a sketch of her yesterday... what d'yall think?

27xnrbp.jpg

The Aunts are gruesome! I almost thought my daughter would run screaming from the room if she saw them and the way they behave, but I monitored her closely, and she had no problem realizing that they were kind of cartoony. She wasn't a bit afraid of this movie, and I have always been surprised at that, since she is a bit of a weenie when it comes to anything with scary music in it or dark lighting....I do have one point at the end where I actually feel sorry for the Aunts. But not much. :)

I like centipede the best. Although he starts out being a bit of a cad, he turns out to be a true hero, and I always like that kind of change.....

I like centipede the best. Although he starts out being a bit of a cad, he turns out to be a true hero, and I always like that kind of change.....

My memory's a bit fuzzy, I seem to be confusing the grasshopper and the centipede. But the spider and ladybird characters (I forget their names) are also very charming, IIRC.

167864.jpg

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> The bugs are all very charming in their own way, and each has a very distinct personality. Even worm.... :)

A big part of the credit should go to the voice cast. I mean, obviously the animators did a terrific job. But the voices are really key in bringing the characters to life. Mostly I think of Susan Sarandon as Miss Spider (hee hee I'm cheating now :P ), Richard Dreyfuss as Centipede, and Joanna Lumley as Aunt Spiker. B-)

hey jackie!

*The Aunts are gruesome! I almost thought my daughter would run screaming from the room if she saw them and the way they behave, but I monitored her closely, and she had no problem realizing that they were kind of cartoony. She wasn't a bit afraid of this movie, and I have always been surprised at that, since she is a bit of a weenie when it comes to anything with scary music in it or dark lighting....I do have one point at the end where I actually feel sorry for the Aunts. But not much.*

i think your daugther would get along greatly with me!! heehee!

my mother always says that im an adopted wuss (heeehee), b/c i hate scarry movies, and at the slightest hint of scarryness i freak out. she was watching Christine the other day, you know the movie about the possessed car? oh....my....goodness! thats all i wanna see, a car killing and eating people! it scarred the willikins out of me! but when it comes to cartoons, im not so bad with them.

*I like centipede the best. Although he starts out being a bit of a cad, he turns out to be a true hero, and I always like that kind of change.....*

my favorite was always the lady bug. i love that lady bug, she's so cute with her tea cups!