Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread


Recommended Posts

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks! I'm not sure how long that one took b/c I started it a few weeks ago and just finished it this evening. Probably several hours b/c this one was kind of tricky.

 

Well, congratulations, it's awesome!! B-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Minya wrote:}{quote}

> *So now you know what a big TOUCH OF EVIL fan I am,*

>

> This is a really good thing as far as I'm concerned. :) I love that movie. Also, one of THE best soundtracks ever.

>

> *I saw the original WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY*

> *for the first time last night. I haven't seen the Johnny Depp remake but I can't imagine anyone else but Gene Wilder in that part.*

>

> I thought I would hate the remake (even though I love Tim Burton) since the original is very near and dear to me, but I found that it had it's own updated brand of wierdness and sweetness that I like. In it's own way, it's quite faithful to the original. Neither of them are THAT faithful to the book-usually this bothers me, but I thought they were both good adaptations.

 

Hi, Minya! I just love Orson as Hank; it's definitely my favorite performance of his and I also think Joseph Calleia gives a very touching performance as Menzies. I enjoy the playful way Welles references other films, i.e. LITTLE CAESAR and even CITIZEN "CANE"! Terrific soundtrack, yes!

 

I like Johnny Depp's work so I'll probably check out his Wonka, but I'm in no rush.

 

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" will be on ABC Family @ 8:30pm on Monday(12/15). It's typical of Tim Burton as you'll see when you get the chance.

 

I'm a pretty big fan of Burton's remake, although I'm not so sure I'd like to watch it with commercials. Still, I hope anyone who does watch will enjoy it, it sure is a "treat". ;)

 

charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_2_1_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was an interesting take and perhaps more true to the book which I haven't read personally, but some have stated so on IMDB. The most annoying aspect of the film for me is the cloned Oompa Loompa and his musical numbers. The seahorse ship was really nice except for the color(it was blinding). Do you know if it's true that Roald Dahl was unhappy with the Gene Wilder version?

 

Anyway, he was one of my favorite authors growing up. I remember reading "Lamb To The Slaughter" and laughing about how twisted the story was. He was extremely brilliant and dark like Tim Burton. Here's the story in case anyone wants to read it.

 

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

*Do you know if it's true that Roald Dahl was unhappy with the Gene Wilder version?*

 

*I don't really know, but I'd be very interested - if anybody here happens to know.*

 

 

 

*Even though the film received positive reviews from critics such as Roger Ebert and Wilder would later earn a Golden Globe nomination for his performance, Dahl was displeased with the final product and refused to sell the rights to the sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator*.

 

-from Wikipedia. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola, Lady B! -- So now you know what a big TOUCH OF EVIL fan I am, and how much I dearly love Orson as Hank. You shouldn't be surprised, however, since Welle's adaption is decidedly referential and playful, and you know how much I love to play.

 

This did surprise me. Not too many gals like Touch of Evil, especially ones who cite Under the Tuscan Sun as their favorite film of all time.

 

And you even like Out of the Past, too. It's good to see at least one gal around here with good taste. You don't like Smithy, right?

 

(have you or anyone read the novel "Badge of Evil" btw?)

 

Me, read a book? That's unpossible!

 

I LOVED the Christmas kitten!

 

Linda's visiting me here in Boca and says it's too bad you're up North and can't see her in Florida by the pool:

 

Linda looks smashing in yellow! I'd love to be by a pool right now; it's cold and snowy here.

 

What's the Scotland Yard game? My mother would love that. Me. too.

 

Really? Are you sure? It's basically a strategy game. The criminal moves around a board while cops (up to, I believe, four) try to track them down. You have to land on their space to capture them. The criminal reveals their location about five or six times during the game. It's a very tough game to play. My two cousins and my brother love to play the game, but I'm not as keen on it as they. You have to be a VERY patient and strategic person to play the game. I am this.

 

Howdy, Coopsy Woopsy Girl -- Hey Frank, I notice your guy seems to be the most scared.

 

"Keep down" is an order. The Pirates must keep down in the standings. :)

 

I just watched your "Coop as Bond" video. That was highly creative and nicely pieced together. Bravo!

 

Did you have to blow the dust off of The Fountainhead DVD? :P:P

 

Hey, Movieman -- I haven't played "Trivial Pursuit" in a long time. Once when playing someone was reading a question and when they stumbled over a name I not only answered but finished the question. The game came to an abrupt end.

 

:D

 

I can be like that with sports... but that's just one category. What always killed me was that in the original game, it was sports and leisure. I had a legit chance of answering most of the straight sports questions but if I got a question about alcoholic drinks and cards, I was in trouble. I'm not too leisurely. :)

 

Tonight we are going out for a friend's birthday and there is a trivia contest. For once people were happy that I am going with them as they think I will improve their chances.

 

So how did that go?

 

As far as being boring goes. I can't imagine that you would have ever been but beat this one. In my senior year in high school when kids are up for "Most Likely To Succeed" and various other awards I was voted "Most Likely To Be Forgotten."

 

Wow! That's super harsh! I've long been a "forgotten man." And so it goes.

 

Okay, this is an actual card from the original Silver Screen edition of Trivial Pursuit. These questions are for you to answer. Let's see how you do.

 

SETTINGS: What country was the setting for 1937's Elephant Boy?

 

TITLES: What film featured the line: "I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more than 10 to 20 million killed -- top"?

 

OFF SCREEN: What director quit as a photographer for Look magazine at 21 to make movies?

 

ON SCREEN: What color was Tim Strawn's horse in Cat Ballou?

 

PRODUCTION: What Peter O'Toole movie ran one minute longer than Gone with the Wind?

 

PORTRAYALS: Who played the title role in 1937's Elephant Boy?

 

I got three of six, but all were educated guesses. I didn't know there was a movie that ran longer than Gone with the Wind's four-year run-time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey TV's Frank!

 

*"Keep down" is an order. The Pirates must keep down in the standings.*

 

I have a feeling my ?stros will be joining you this season ? ugh!

 

*I just watched your "Coop as Bond" video. That was highly creative and nicely pieced together. Bravo!*

 

Thanks! The first time I saw *City Streets* (the last few clips are from that one) I couldn?t help but notice how much Gary looked like a James Bond type character in the end scenes. I?d been wanting to do this video for awhile and I?m glad it turned out well.

 

*Did you have to blow the dust off of The Fountainhead DVD?*

 

I may have only seen that one all the way through once, but there are a couple of scenes I have watched many, many times :P.

 

fh001.jpg

 

Phew! I think I?m gonna have to go outside and cool off ;).

Link to post
Share on other sites

>Tonight we are going out for a friend's birthday and there is a trivia contest. For once people were happy that I am going with them as they think I will improve their chances.

 

So how did that go?

 

 

Fair. Some of the most ridiculous questions you might ever come across. Two that threw us (and everyone else I must say) were - Which 70's TV show spawned a spinoff named "Kelly's Kids" that never aired? (Answer - "The Brady Bunch.) The other was what movie based on a literarary title of the same name had Orson Welles last appearance that was released in the 90's? (Answer -"Moby Dick." It was a short film where he played several parts. Obviously someone held onto it and decided to realease it well after his death.

 

History and Geography were equally obscure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That?s nine cats too many! ;)

 

Every Christmas here in Austin there are a group of tuba players who get together and play Christmas songs on the steps of the capital building. I work about a block from there so we usually walk over and listen to them and they?re having it again this Friday. Maybe this guy will show up this year :x.

 

deeds_tuba.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Hola, Lady B! -- So now you know what a big TOUCH OF EVIL fan I am, and how much I dearly love Orson as Hank. You shouldn't be surprised, however, since Welle's adaption is decidedly referential and playful, and you know how much I love to play.

>

> This did surprise me. Not too many gals like Touch of Evil, especially ones who cite Under the Tuscan Sun as their favorite film of all time.

>

> And you even like Out of the Past, too. It's good to see at least one gal around here with good taste. You don't like Smithy, right?

>

> (have you or anyone read the novel "Badge of Evil" btw?)

>

> Me, read a book? That's unpossible!

>

> I LOVED the Christmas kitten!

>

> Linda's visiting me here in Boca and says it's too bad you're up North and can't see her in Florida by the pool:

>

> Linda looks smashing in yellow! I'd love to be by a pool right now; it's cold and snowy here.

>

> What's the Scotland Yard game? My mother would love that. Me. too.

>

> Really? Are you sure? It's basically a strategy game. The criminal moves around a board while cops (up to, I believe, four) try to track them down. You have to land on their space to capture them. The criminal reveals their location about five or six times during the game. It's a very tough game to play. My two cousins and my brother love to play the game, but I'm not as keen on it as they. You have to be a VERY patient and strategic person to play the game. I am this.

>

> Howdy, Coopsy Woopsy Girl -- Hey Frank, I notice your guy seems to be the most scared.

>

> "Keep down" is an order. The Pirates must keep down in the standings. :)

>

> I just watched your "Coop as Bond" video. That was highly creative and nicely pieced together. Bravo!

>

> Did you have to blow the dust off of The Fountainhead DVD? :P:P

>

> Hey, Movieman -- I haven't played "Trivial Pursuit" in a long time. Once when playing someone was reading a question and when they stumbled over a name I not only answered but finished the question. The game came to an abrupt end.

>

> :D

>

> I can be like that with sports... but that's just one category. What always killed me was that in the original game, it was sports and leisure. I had a legit chance of answering most of the straight sports questions but if I got a question about alcoholic drinks and cards, I was in trouble. I'm not too leisurely. :)

>

> Tonight we are going out for a friend's birthday and there is a trivia contest. For once people were happy that I am going with them as they think I will improve their chances.

>

> So how did that go?

>

> As far as being boring goes. I can't imagine that you would have ever been but beat this one. In my senior year in high school when kids are up for "Most Likely To Succeed" and various other awards I was voted "Most Likely To Be Forgotten."

>

> Wow! That's super harsh! I've long been a "forgotten man." And so it goes.

>

> Okay, this is an actual card from the original Silver Screen edition of Trivial Pursuit. These questions are for you to answer. Let's see how you do.

>

> SETTINGS: What country was the setting for 1937's Elephant Boy?

>

> TITLES: What film featured the line: "I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more than 10 to 20 million killed -- top"?

>

> OFF SCREEN: What director quit as a photographer for Look magazine at 21 to make movies?

>

> ON SCREEN: What color was Tim Strawn's horse in Cat Ballou?

>

> PRODUCTION: What Peter O'Toole movie ran one minute longer than Gone with the Wind?

>

> PORTRAYALS: Who played the title role in 1937's Elephant Boy?

>

> I got three of six, but all were educated guesses. I didn't know there was a movie that ran longer than Gone with the Wind's four-year run-time.

 

Hi there, Jeff.

 

Here is an even more destructive femme fatale -- Angelica Huston, who I think is BRILLIANT in THE WITCHES.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxijTYr2C3s&NR=1

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWIp18lyV0

 

Would you like some candy, Frank?

 

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" will be on ABC Family @ 8:30pm on Monday(12/15). It's typical of Tim Burton as you'll see when you get the chance.

 

I wasn't able to see it that night, metsie.

 

Ever see Dahl's THE WITCHES? (I posted two scenes for Frank) Angelica Huston is just fantastic!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...