Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

What's up, Super Charger? -- How are you, Frank, long time no talk.

Miserable.

Baseball season is an eternity while the football season seems to whiz by.

Thank goodness! Football makes me too manic-depressive. Baseball is just one big downer, so at least I'm one speed.

Both the Cowboys and the Chargers must win this final week to gain the playoffs.

One team showed up.

The Charger situation is laughable. They've had a miserable year and have trailed Denver the whole season, by as many as three games at one point, yet somehow find themselves in a position to advance if they beat Denver this Sunday.

San Diego finished strong... again. I'm amazed Denver hung in as long as they did considering all their injuries and a marshmallow defense. The Chargers had to deal with two big injuries this year, too.

Neither of these teams are playoff caliber, to be sure.

I actually think your Chargers can win in the playoffs. I don't trust the Colts one bit.

If the Chargers win, unless I'm mistaken, they will be fourth seed by virtue of being a Division winner (with a 8-8 record) and will host the wild card with the best record, which will be the Colts, 12-4 if they win Sunday. What a joke! (Unless they've changed the rule, allowing the Colts to be at home by virtue of a better record).

You got it. LaDainian looked VERY good last night... until he got hurt again. Love Sproles.

I haven't followed Dallas real closely but you don't have to what with all the controversy, haha, but it's been a bit rocky, I know that.

Zero guidance.

I thought they were back to form a couple of weeks ago with that impressive win over the Giants.

They should have beat the Steelers but the play-calling was dreadful in the fourth quarter. They tried to run and hide from the clock instead of going for the win. The Giants win was a good one.

I didn't see the Baltimore game but was surprised they lost.

They were outcoached. Surprise, surprise.

They are clearly better than the Chargers and will have a much better chance of advancing if they get in.

The Cowboys would probably be okay playing the Chargers because the game would be loose; lots of big plays. I don't know if they would win, though. Their offense was rutterless down the stretch. Part of that is injuries and part of that is the defenses they have faced. But Dallas has too much offensive talent not to perform better than they did. Coaching.

The game with the Eagles is gonna be tough.

:D

Well, good luck, my friend, I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas get in there.

Thanks for the well wishes, but they needed far more than that. T.O. said it best, "shameful." Jerry Jones says Wade Phillips will be back, but I can't see that happening. Bill Cowher?

Grimey, I'm concerned that you're so down. Is it the winter blahs? Do you want me to post the picture of the inside of my brain? It would be good for a chuckle or two, I'm sure.

Is it evil spirits? Ummm, is it a shortage of Nick Cave music? Actually nix that-listening to him in your current frame of mind will probably only send you on a shooting rampage.

Did someone do you wrong? Was there not enough milk for your Cap'n Crunch? I always hate that.

Let's get to the bottom of this. :)

Hola, Red Riding Hood! -- How was your Christmas? You didn't spend it on the phone, did you? Did you bake your cookies?

Grimey, I'm concerned that you're so down. Is it the winter blahs?

Yeah, the Dallas Cowboys are the winter blahs, all right.

Do you want me to post the picture of the inside of my brain? It would be good for a chuckle or two, I'm sure.

:) I saw your brain waves on Kylefornia's poster thread. That was good.

Is it evil spirits?

I know of an evil spirit. So maybe you're right about that.

Ummm, is it a shortage of Nick Cave music? Actually nix that-listening to him in your current frame of mind will probably only send you on a shooting rampage.

Now that got a good laugh out of me! Why is my right hand red?

Did someone do you wrong?

Nah, I'm fine. This is unlike you to show concern for me. I need to be asking you if you are all right.

Was there not enough milk for your Cap'n Crunch? I always hate that.

:) Great. Now you've got me wanting from Cap'n Crunch. Evil!

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Uh-oh.

*How was your Christmas? You didn't spend it on the phone, did you? Did you bake your cookies?*

A. As good as it could be since I was sick.

B. No, but I only got to hang with my Pops for a few hours because of said sickness

C. No, and I feel a little empty inside. Maybe I'll make them New Year's cookies instead.

Getting hit with a cold on Christmas Eve was a big bummer. Christmas Day I was tired and achy (and it was still snowing) and on the 26th it was totally obnoxious. Saturday I slept 20 out of 24 hours thanks in part to the aforementioned NyQuil gelcaps. I needed the rest and it helped turn the cold into something relatively short lived. Now I'm just a little congesty.

*Yeah, the Dallas Cowboys are the winter blahs, all right.*

Wow, guys and sports! I think the fact that my Dad knew early that the Lions were headed for a lousy season helped him get over it. Plus he's in planning mode for New Year's Day.

*I saw your brain waves on Kylefornia's poster thread. That was good.*

That picture always cracks me up.

*I know of an evil spirit. So maybe you're right about that.*

Watch it....

*Nah, I'm fine. This is unlike you to show concern for me. I need to be asking you if you are all right.*

What? I'm like, the most thoughtful person I know!!! :)

*Great. Now you've got me wanting from Cap'n Crunch. Evil!*

Muah, ha, ha, haaaaaa. And also, excellent. There's just no way to make that look Burnsian over the interwebs. Mmmm, Cap'n Crunch. Now I'm hungry.

A. As good as it could be since I was sick.

Faker.

B. No, but I only got to hang with my Pops for a few hours because of said sickness

So it was the best Christmas ever for your dad then. :)

C. No, and I feel a little empty inside.

Empty inside? Hmmm... head, heart. :P

Maybe I'll make them New Year's cookies instead.

That sounds good!

Getting hit with a cold on Christmas Eve was a big bummer. Christmas Day I was tired and achy (and it was still snowing) and on the 26th it was totally obnoxious. Saturday I slept 20 out of 24 hours thanks in part to the aforementioned NyQuil gelcaps. I needed the rest and it helped turn the cold into something relatively short lived. Now I'm just a little congesty.

That really does suck. I hope you are better now.

Wow, guys and sports!

:D

I think the fact that my Dad knew early that the Lions were headed for a lousy season helped him get over it. Plus he's in planning mode for New Year's Day.

I root for the Lions of baseball, so I know that feeling.

What? I'm like, the most thoughtful person I know!!!

That's because you don't know anyone! :P

Muah, ha, ha, haaaaaa. And also, excellent. There's just no way to make that look Burnsian over the interwebs. Mmmm, Cap'n Crunch. Now I'm hungry.

You went Burns and Homer on me. Very nice!

simpsons5.jpg

simpsons4.jpg

Hi Frank

After that game last night I am agreeing with you and revising my opinion about the Chargers chances. As John Madden likes to continually point out, teams that peak at the end of the season can surprise regardless what went on before. And he was also right when he declared that LT "was back." I've been following all year and last night was the only game this year when LT has had a game like that. The Colts have had a strange season. Despite being 12-4, they have not dominated like in years past, strange as that may sound with that kind of record. I recall when they were 3-3 they could have easily been 1-5 but for two very improbable last-minute comebacks and they have won by the skin on their nose this year rather than by high deficit scoring. Yes, the Chargers have an excellent chance to pull one off next week. They have played well against the Colts in the playoff and the latter are probably are none to happy, I believe, to be coming here. The Chargers will have to find a way to play defense, they have had a "marshmallow" defense as well.

O those Cowboys? It's been a weird season. How does Miami make the playoffs and not the Cowboys? I haven't been close enough to know what's wrong but I'll take your word that it's the coaching. Too bad. I have heard commentators on radio suggest that it's time for Jerry Jones to back off, hire a good football man, and recede to the background. Yeah, I know, that's funny. Coaching problems have been the lament of Charger fans as well. Were it not for a weak AFC West (How does New England, 11-5 miss out, and the Chargers, 8-8, move on?), Norv might well be under the gun although AJ is like JerryJ in this respect, Norv was coming back in any case.

Coaching -

I'm no Jets fan but how do they let their coach go when he turned that team around? He gets saddled with Favre and still manages a winning record but the AFC has some great teams how else can you explain the Patriots not making it?

Then there are the Ravens. Even if they don't get past the first round this has been far above anyone's expectations.

Hey there, Laffite -- After that game last night I am agreeing with you and revising my opinion about the Chargers chances. As John Madden likes to continually point out, teams that peak at the end of the season can surprise regardless what went on before.

That's exactly it. The Steelers and Giants in recent years have proven that a team playing great football entering the playoffs has a strong chance of going far. And I believe this year's playoff crop lacks a dominant team; it's wide open in both conferences. I think the Giants and Steelers are the two best teams in each conference, yet I believe a team like the Chargers can beat them. That's why Dallas' loss really hurts. If they would have imposed their will on the Eagles, then I would have felt good about their chances of going all the way. But, as it turned out, they were a shell of their former self.

And he was also right when he declared that LT "was back." I've been following all year and last night was the only game this year when LT has had a game like that.

Exactly. He showed burst last night.

The Colts have had a strange season. Despite being 12-4, they have not dominated like in years past, strange as that may sound with that kind of record. I recall when they were 3-3 they could have easily been 1-5 but for two very improbable last-minute comebacks and they have won by the skin on their nose this year rather than by high deficit scoring.

You're on it, my friend. The Colts played like a sub-.500 team most of the year. Even during their 9-game winning streak, they beat the Browns, 10-6, and the Lions, 31-21. Four of the last five wins were against the Browns, Bengals, Lions, and Jaguars. Granted, they did crush the Patriots and won in Pittsburgh, as well. I do believe the Colts can actually go all the way, but I also believe the Chargers can beat them. They are Jekyll & Hyde.

Yes, the Chargers have an excellent chance to pull one off next week. They have played well against the Colts in the playoff and the latter are probably are none to happy, I believe, to be coming here.

The Chargers only lost to the Colts by 3 points, earlier this year.

The Chargers will have to find a way to play defense, they have had a "marshmallow" defense as well.

Precisely. They need to disrupt Peyton's rhythm. If they do that, I think they can create some turnovers.

O those Cowboys? It's been a weird season. How does Miami make the playoffs and not the Cowboys?

Coaching and schedule. The Dolphins took advantage of a very soft schedule. But their coaching was highly creative from the jump. Tony Sparano (Dallas' offensive line coach last year) knew he didn't have the talent or experience to play conventional, so he went unconventional and it's been highly successful. I'm not sure the Dolphins can beat a good defensive team like the Ravens, though. That will be a huge test.

I haven't been close enough to know what's wrong but I'll take your word that it's the coaching. Too bad. I have heard commentators on radio suggest that it's time for Jerry Jones to back off, hire a good football man, and recede to the background. Yeah, I know, that's funny.

Jones and the Cowboys' scouting department have been excellent, but they have lacked good coaching. Bill Parcells brought discipline and a plan but he was far too conservative. Phillips doesn't have a commanding presence, like Parcells. The players seem to just show up and think their talent will equal wins.

Coaching problems have been the lament of Charger fans as well. Were it not for a weak AFC West (How does New England, 11-5 miss out, and the Chargers, 8-8, move on?), Norv might well be under the gun although AJ is like JerryJ in this respect, Norv was coming back in any case.

Dallas and San Diego have had similar seasons, except San Diego was able to save their season by winning the very down AFC West. I don't see Norv keeping his job unless the Chargers go deep into the playoffs.

What's shakin', Lively Gal? -- And I thought we were to torture you Frank. I see your sports teams are doing a better job than any Coop girl could do. Ow!!

:D Coop was looking mighty appealing to me yesterday after watching the Eagles humiliate the Cowboys with the playoffs on the line. I'm ready to be hanged.

*Frank*, good points all. Just one comment. AJ has given Norv the proverbial vote of confidence and that was when the Chargers were 4-8. We have an excellent sports writer here in San Diego who wrote a column citing examples of vote of confidence coaches who were nevertheless canned shortly thereafter. He almost made it sound as if the VOC was a kind of curse, haha. But I think the strong finish and making the playoffs cements Norv's future (for another year at least) though, in a way, masks a certain mediocrity. The C are back from the dead and it's a near miracle just to get this far and Norv will get credit for that regardless what happens with the Colts, IMO. Besides, AJ loves him (to the chagrin of many C fans).

Well, anyway, I hope you'll be watching and enjoying the playoffs...despite the proceedings being sans Cowboys.

Just one comment. AJ has given Norv the proverbial vote of confidence and that was when the Chargers were 4-8. We have an excellent sports writer here in San Diego who wrote a column citing examples of vote of confidence coaches who were nevertheless canned shortly thereafter. He almost made it sound as if the VOC was a kind of curse, haha.

It usually is. Jerry Jones has gone on record as saying his coaches are in place. He said this before the Eagles game and he reiterated this after the debacle. We will see.

But I think the strong finish and making the playoffs cements Norv's future (for another year at least) though, in a way, masks a certain mediocrity. The C are back from the dead and it's a near miracle just to get this far and Norv will get credit for that regardless what happens with the Colts, IMO. Besides, AJ loves him (to the chagrin of many C fans).

You may very well be right.

Well, anyway, I hope you'll be watching and enjoying the playoffs...despite the proceedings being sans Cowboys.

Certainly. I will be rooting against teams instead of for. Ahhh, bitterness. The Chargers will not be one of the teams I'll be rooting against, though. I'd love to see them win it all. But that's a curse for you. You'd rather me rooting against your squad.

simpsons6.jpg

*The Chargers will not be one of the teams I'll be rooting against, though. I'd love to see them win it all. But that's a curse for you. You'd rather me rooting against your squad.*

Not so, my friend. You are no curse. I do not hold you responsible for the Demise of the Dallas Cowboys and consider you a happy addition to the Charger Booster Club (temporary though it may be), and so I say, ONWARD HO, to that appointment in Tampa on February 1st. ;)

PS Cute cartoon. Looks like he's talkin' to the KC Chiefs. They could use a new team. (Oh listen to me gloat, I'm terrible) ;)

What's shakin', Lively Gal? -- "And I thought we were to torture you Frank. I see your sports teams are doing a better job than any Coop girl could do. Ow!!"

Coop was looking mighty appealing to me yesterday after watching the Eagles humiliate the Cowboys with the playoffs on the line. I'm ready to be hanged.

Poor baby. But too drastic a move: ("Hangin'. Nasty way to die.") There's always next year.

Photobucket

*I root for the Lions of baseball, so I know that feeling.*

Just don't take any of Burn's Brain and Nerve Tonic to fix it. You'll start out feeling like there's a party in your mouth and everyone's invited, but we both know what the end result is.

*Coop was looking mighty appealing to me yesterday after watching the Eagles humiliate the Cowboys with the playoffs on the line. I'm ready to be hanged.*

You?ll have to forgive me for being a little giddy at the Cowboys humiliating defeat. Here in Texas, you?re pretty much either a Houston teams fan or a Dallas teams fan and never the twain shall meet. Even though the Oilers are long gone, they?re still my team. I just haven?t been able to warm up to the Texans and since I?m really a baseball girl anyway, I guess I?ll have to let football go.

I?m sure this will make you feel better. Thinking about Gary in a baseball uniform always cheers me up :x.

prideoftheyankees15.jpg

Or you could enter a beauty pageant. I hear the winner gets a kiss and that should definitely perk you right up :P.

garyandbeautyqueen.jpg

How much you wanna bet she hit the floor of that stage as soon as their lips parted ;).

Hey, crablet -- I haven't asked my mother if she's heard the feet recently, but just the fact she can hear anything on the roof is a miracle, because she's a tad hard of hearing. (nothing serious yet, though)

Was that your favorite Joan photo? Would you like to see her in SUSPIRIA? I thought not.

I told my girlfriend after we left the "retirement" restaurant that I never wanted to go there again, and she heartily concurred. I get enough of the drool with old Mr. Laundry Leer. I could barely get my Baked New England scrod down because the man we were seated next to came up to us and asked if he could park his walker near our wall, and referred to it as his Cadillac. Of course we had to say we wouldn't mind, so he propped up the "car", winked and thanked us, then chuckled and shuffled away to his table to finish his rice pudding.

So did you get good presents?

Ring in the New Year with Irena and Belle:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/simone_simon_images/index.htm