• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Hey there, Grahame's Green Guy! -- I noticed you and Laffite talk sports

sometimes.

Uh-huh. The Super Charger should be in a good mood when he reappears on the

board, too. What a game!

I don't think I've ever discussed sports on this forum. Just so you know I was raised

in a Green Bay Packer household. By the time I was old enough to know what was

going on the Packers had faded. I suffered through the lean years. We got in the

playoffs during the strike shortened season back in 83. I wanted so much for Bart

Starr to succeed as coach. I liked Lynn Dickey and there were some high points

including the 48-47 win over the Redskins on Monday Night Football a game that

has been etched into my memory ever since.

Lynn Dickey! Now there's a name from the past. I was a pre-teen during the Dickey

era, so my memories of him are of football cards more than actual gameplay.

Then we got Brett Favre. Those were some heady years including Super Bowl XXXI.

The franchise became relevant once again with Favre.

The Favre years eventually turned into a new kind of suffering. He held the NFL record

for most career touchdown passes but he also held the record for most

interceptions...and they always seemed to come at the worst of times.

All true. Favre did have his failings, but his successes were greater. And he has that

ring.

I can't help but like Brett but I kind of wished he would have just retired instead of

waffling around.

Brett's star did lose some luster with his unretirement. He played that poorly. But

Michael Jordan, one of the greatest athletes in sports history, also did the same.

Anyway the Jets have him now (may they enjoy the crazy ride) and I'll admit I haven't

really had the time to get involved in the season this year. The Pack will be back.

The NFC North is very ordinary right now, so the door remains open for your Pack.

My real love has always been College Basketball. I've followed it religiously since the

Virginia Cavaliers upset three ranked teams to take the 1976 ACC tournament. I tend

to pay more attention to college football and basketball then the pros. It's pretty big

in these parts. I happen to like both Va. Tech and U.Va which is apparently against

the law here in Virginia and I'm hated passionately by all sides.

How interesting. I've always been a bigger pro sports fan than college. When I think

of UVA hoops, I think of Ralph Sampson. With Va Tech, it's Bimbo Coles. I watched

some of the Hokies' Orange Bowl victory on New Year's Day.

Ironically the only actual team sport I ever played was baseball and I don't like

watching it at all. I did help my brother coach a girl's softball team in the early 90's. It

was a lot of fun. My sister was on the team.

Excellent! There's a gal on this board who's a softball player. A catcher. I never knew

aliens could catch. Live and learn. :P

Baseball is my favorite sport, followed by hockey then basketball, football, and

tennis. The only organized sport I played was basketball, and it was only rec ball

in junior high. But I've always been athletic. I can play baseball, basketball, football,

street hockey (I can't skate), and tennis.

So anyway that's my sports background Frank. I just thought you should know for

some reason.

I liked it! Thanks for sharing that with me and everyone else. It's good to see you back

on the board.

I come to EXONERATE FrankGrimes,

not to praise ME.

The posts that men write lives after them,

The good is oft interred with their bones,

So let it be with Frank Grimes.

And I shall prove this later. Keep watching.

Post on; and leave no ceremony out.

grimey2.jpg

*The Super Charger should be in a good mood when he reappears on the*

*board, too. What a game!*

yea2photob.jpg

Yeaphotob.jpg

cheers-1.gif

thcheer-1.gif

love1.gif

Love those Chargers

Hope no one minds if I make a big deal of this

Laffite

:)

One might not like Gloria Grahame and miss that thread, but many folks like the FrankGrimes Torture Thread so here is a repeat:

Miss Goddess writes: "Any bets whether FrankieGrimes will finally discuss 'In a Lonely Place' on this thread... before 2009 is over? It's one of my favorites and I would actually enjoy to participate in that discussion for what it's worth.

No pressure of course, Frank."

Reading that made me think that Frank already did answer that. As I

slogged uh...read through thirty pages of this Gloria Grahame thread to show you that Frank Grimes HAS responded and eloquently written about the Nicholas Ray film ?IN A LONELY PLACE? starring Humphrey Bogart and the great, unsung Gloria Grahame. Now please just pass by this thread if you have no interest in Double G, or in FrankGrimes or in anything I have to say just becuz it?s me, CineMaven.

But if you DO have an interest...please read the below.

This is NOT a clique...there is no secret password...there is no gay sub-text (though the massage scene, aaah, nevermind)...this is NOT about Prop 8...there is NO secret handshake involved in reading this thread. If you have me on you?re missing a good post in this one. BUT there are TWO pre-requisites for you to continue reading this thread, (?cuz dammit it?s a long one):

1. One must have a love for Gloria Grahame.

2. One must have a sense of humor.

Yes, I am telling you what to do and feel. That?s what Mavens do.

P.S.: (All humor-less posters may freely and Americanly read a different thread and against popular belief newbies are invited to read this thread but ya still gotta love Gloria Grahame AND have a sense of humor).

Why am I spending hours of my life with this particular post?? Well, it?s because I posted a ?What The Heck Is Going On?? thread that veered off from what my original intent was. Our threads are like playing ?telephone? where by the end of the pass-a-long message game, the initial message is totally distorted. So here I thought I?d give everyone their proper attribution so nothing can go off-track.

So now...I will prove to you that Frank Grimes HAS responded to this great Bogart film that shows off Gloria Grahame in all her glory. Be patient and carefully read the below re-cap. You will see Frank?s responsive and heartfelt wiriting of this great Nicholas Ray movie:

Once upon a time way back last Winter, MildredPierceFan wrote on March 8, 2008 @ 1:07pm this post:

"I am a huge fan of Gloria Grahame's. I'm not sure if there's another forum for her or not, nut anyhow, I just decided to start one. I was always a huge fan of hers because she could act, charm, have personality, and look gorgeous. There was something quirky about her that made her stand out. I'm not sure if it was her unconventional voice, her dry humor, or what. She is one of the criminally underrated film stars from the Golden Era of Hollywood..."

And thus a wonderful thread was born.

Tobitz posted (Jul 14, 2008 10:53 PM ): ?Only 12 days until the next Gloria appearance on TCM (?The Bad and the Beautiful? again). I mention this mostly just to get the Gloria thread back to the top. I'm also way overdo to thank molo for telling me about those other two. That was the first time I'd seen ?In a Lonely Place? and it immediately became a favorite of mine.?

Molo14 posted (Jul 15, 2008 2:35 AM): ?Hi tobitz, You're very welcome. Thanks for bumping Gloria back up. I'm so glad you liked ?In A Lonely Place.? I don't think we have had a major discussion of this film yet and we should talk about it since it's one of her best as far as I'm concerned. Please share your thoughts on the film and Gloria's character and performance. I think CineMaven may have some comments in the works on this as well. Maybe Frank too. If anyone else out there would like to talk about it please feel free to jump in. I'm due for another viewing of this film. I'll make a point to watch it again this week.?

Molo14 posted (Jul 15, 2008 7:24 PM) to Tobitz: ?There seems to be a posting frenzy in Hot Topics today! Gloria's thread sank pretty quick. It looks like CineMaven is cooking up something on Jane Greer and playing hooky from film class. Don't know if she will have time to write about ?In A Lonely Place? anytime soon. Hopefully you will still offer up your thoughts. I plan to watch it again tomorrow if all goes well.?

Cinemaven posted (Jul 15, 2008 8:02 PM) in response to molo14: ?Aaaaah...it's so good to see Gloria back on top. I am trying to get my thoughts together to talk about Jane Greer, but when I saw ?...A Complete Package? up here, I raced my little butt on over. If you're planning to watch ?In A Lonely Place? this week I will too and promise to write if you write. And if anyone else wants to share their thoughts on this great flick, please...I'd love to read 'em. (SCSU, what's your stand on Gloria Grahame?)

Tobitz, you're kind of new...but that you like Grahame is putting you at the top of my list. And FrankGrimes, if you can stop flirting with Bronxgirl and Miss Goddess...come back over here where you belong. Lauding Double G.?

(See how welcoming I am to the semi-newbie).

SCSU posted (Jul 15, 2008 9:09 PM) in response to CineMaven: ?Well, as long as you asked, I'd sell my soul (if I had one) for a night with her. When I saw her in ?The Bad and the Beautiful?, I wanted to tell Dick Powell to get lost so I could move in.?

Molo posted (Jul 15, 2008 11:30 PM)in response to scsu1975: ?I knew it! One of us! we accept you one of us...one of us...one of us...?

Tobitz posted (Jul 16, 2008 3:56PM): ?Just a thought on ?In a Lonely Place? inspired by molo's pic of Gloria and Bogart in the car: I think one thing I really like about this movie is its historical context. The violence in Bogart's character here seems definitely left over from the war. That violence and paranoia was pervasive in the fifties, in a supposedly ?innocent? time, lurking just under the surface all the while.

Much of that feeling, such as it was, was blamed on the bomb or anything else people felt they could label, whether it was communism or integration or rock and roll, but the violence was really left over from experiences in the war. The only place I recall this being addressed was in the film noir of the time, while most other movies seemed to try to ignore it.

In a sense, it's almost akin to ?The Best Years of Our Lives? though I doubt many would see it as such. Laurel's efforts (in a really great performance by Grahame) to understand Dixon, her fear as to whether that violence might ever be directed towards her, speaks not only to those years but also to anyone anytime asking themselves similar questions about someone they love.?

Now folks, here is the first response by FrankGrimes in connection with ?In A Lonely Place?:

Frank Grimes (Jul 16 - 4:31PM) Response to Tobitz: ?Very nicely said. I agree with you. I also agree with what you wrote about post-War and film noir. A world changed.

I really enjoy the ?searching? element of film noir. It's as if the characters are trying to find something but they don't always know what it is, although they believe that they do.?

Cinemaven (Jul 16 - 9:02PM) to FrankGrimes: ?...Do you plan to write about "In A Lonely Place" as well???

Frank Grimes response to Cinemaven (Jul 16, 2008 - 9:41PM):?In a likely place. But I'm reactive, not proactive.?

Uh-oh folks...I think that might be a very telling remark. But I?ll show ya. Wait and see. Frank?ll come through.

CineMaven posted (Jul 16, 2008 11:12 PM)in response to FrankGrimes: ?Oh no, Mother of Mercy. That means we won't see your musings for months. ?

FrankGrimes post (Jul 17 - 2:57AM): ?You got a good laugh out of me with that, T. I feed off of people like you and Molo. Both of you are proactive. You like to stir the pot... thank goodness.

What's up, Molo? -- ?I saw ?In a Lonely Place? for the first time a couple months ago. I've since watched it a couple times more. You are very right, it does get better with each viewing.?

So I wrote up a lengthy analysis of ?In A Lonely Place? which was pleasantly received. FrankGrimes commented on it. I submit this below to you good people.

FrankGrimes posted (Jul 23, 2008 - 10:40 AM): ?That was fantastic, CineMaven! You captured so much of the great emotional depth of the film and of Gloria's performance. I'm not sure I can add that much to what you brilliantly wrote. You've set the bar awfully high. I'll re-watch the film later tonight to see if I can scrape up some change from your couch. Something tells me, I'm going to end up empty-handed... like Laurel.Nicely done!I will comment on your words with greater specificity when I get the time.?

Molo14 posted Jul 23, 2008 6:51 PM: ?I'm sure glad I procrastinated because I never could have come up with anything nearly as good as what you wrote. I'm going to work on some comments now.?

See. Frank holds out the promise to write. Poster Lafitte wrote some lovely comments on the film. You may check out this link if you want to read them:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124472&start=120&tstart=0

And FrankGrimes responded to that wonderful post of Lafitte?s.

FrankGrimes posted (Jul 23, 2008 11:29 PM): ?You are putting on a dynamic show, Laffite! I'm gleefully digesting all of your words and thoughts. I've got my work cut out for me if I'm to reply to you and CineMaven's powerful postings on 'In a Lonely Place'. Haply, it's turned into ?In a Lovely Place?.?

And Mister Molo14 responds to Lafitte and my back & forth post of ?In A Lonely Place? with this comment:

Molo14 posted (Jul 24, 2008 3:04 AM in response to CineMaven): ?Alright you two. You're setting the bar too high for feeble ol' Molo so I hope you don't mind if I slip under it.?

And Molo wrote some fantastic comments himself on the film which you may read if you click onto:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124472&start=105&tstart=0

Now Frank has yet to write in depth about ?In A Lonely Place? at this point. But he sure butters us up with his compliments to our (Molo, Lafitte & Cinemaven) comments. Please note as he writes the following:

FrankGrimes posted (Jul 25, 2008 12:25 AM) in response to CineMaven: ?Look what you have gone and done, CineBabe. You've actually sparked a highly in-depth discussion about ?In A Lonely Place.? Who would have ever thought Gloria Grahame would elicit such serious thoughts? Okay, these kind of thoughts.

It's going to take me some time to go over all the provocative words by you, Molo, and Laffite. The 'food' is both tasty and plentiful. I'm gonna need to go use the extra notches on my belt.

I've been trying to find an ?in? and I think I have uncovered a few. I actually come at the film from a different angle and I hope to find the time to share this with y'all. Tomorrow night is not looking good, but maybe I can find some time during the weekend.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff by all. It's been a joy to absorb all of your presentations.?

But Frank only offers up more excuses as of July 29th. Think not? Please read:

Frank Grimes posted (Jul 29, 2008 9:40 AM) in response to laffite: ?What's up, Laffite? -- I would have loved to have seen ?In a Lonely Place? ?under the stars.? The thought is ever so tantalizing. I apologize for not chiming in about ?In a Lonely Place? yet but my time has been very limited of late. I'll see if I can come up with something later this week.?

Ever holding out that carrot Frank. In fact, I wrote about that way back in the summer with this little ditty:

Cinemaven posted (Jul 29, 2008 6:51 PM) in response to laffite: ?I think one of the points this thread makes Lafitte, is that a little bit of Gloria goes a long way (and I mean that in a good way).

BTW, do us a favor...don't bandy about with FrankGrimes. He's very very very busy; he's told us this on a coupla occasions on this thread. This is why we're all waiting ("with baited breath") for his take on "In A Lonely Place." We're curious as to his view of the movie. So if you take him off course, and dangle little conversational carrots in front of him...we'll never know what he thinks. Please allow him to do his homework. Thanx!!

Message was edited by CineMaven: absolutely and totally strictly tongue-firmly-in-cheek!!!?

Molo tries to use some reverse psychology with Frank when he writes this to me Jul 29 - 8:25pm:

?(after reading our discussion of ?In A Lonely Place? Frank said he had a different take on it. Maybe he's just struggling to come up with a polite way to tell us we don't know what we're talking about.)?

Tobitz was even called out on the carpet re: more comments from him on ?In A Lonely Place.? See how he tries to shift the focus back onto Frank Grimes.

Tobitz posts (Aug 15 - 9:14pm): ?Oh the guilt! The guilt! It's been over a month since Molo asked for my reactions to In a Lonely Place and I still haven't replied, much less seen it again...I'd initially intended to post a minor comment, and then one declaring my love for Gloria. I do know I consider CineMaven's commentary on Gloria some pages back as unsurpassable. After the excellent analysis of IALP from CM, Laffite, and Molo (okay, anyone not wanting capitals, speak now or forever hold your peace), I've been meaning to respond, even before watching it again. Unfortunately, my ability to procrastinate rivals Mr. Grimes. And now, poor abused Gloria has been allowed to fall to page four. Noooooo!?

Molo14 posted (Aug 15, 2008 - 9:59 PM) in response to tobitz: ?Hi Tobitz, Don't feel guilty. Gloria will wait for you and so will we. I'm so totally out of it lately. I tried sending Frank a subliminal message down in MissGoddess's ?Norma Jean? thread but I told him ?The Big Heat? instead of ?In A Lonely Place? so I'm sure he's completely confused now.?

And if you click onto this site below and scroll down,

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124472&start=60&tstart=0

you will see a breathtaking photo of Gloria Grahame that Tobitz supplied that will melt the snow off your roof!! That is, for you Northeastern, mid-western TCM viewers and readers.

More compliments from FrankGrimes on Aug 15 - 10:34pm as he responds to Tobitz: ?You are correct. What has been written about ?In a Lonely Place? by the articulate CineBabe, SuperCharger, and Molo the Magnificent Misfit truly is unsurpassable.?

Hmmm...please notice how Frank does comment on Molo?s write - up on ?SUDDEN FEAR.? See, we?re already moving on to another film and not ?In A Lonely Place.?

FrankGrimes posts (Aug 26, 2008 11:17 PM in response to Molo14: ?How's it flowin', Molo? -- Gloria on page five? Not good. And I do take blame for it this time. I wanted to let you know that I did read your terrific 'Sudden Fear' post the day you posted it and I'm definitely going to reply to it. And, yes, I will write about 'In a Lonely Place', too. It's Gloria, so I'm game.?

Molo responds in post (Aug 28, 2008 1:10 AM to Frank: ?Hi Frank...I always look forward to your comments Frank. ?Sudden Fear? was an interesting film.

I'm still curious to hear your ?different take? on ?In A Lonely Place?.?

WAIT!!! I might be getting a little confused here. It might be a little hard to defend and exonerate you Frank. I?m slowly coming to that realization. Frank, it?s kind of not looking good for you. Ya see how Molo tries to get you to commit to ?In A Lonely Place? but how you talk again of ?Sudden Fear.? Don?t believe me? Don?t remember?? Well see the response right here:

FrankGrimes posted Aug 28, 2008 1:26 AM in response to molo14: ?...Thanks. You're one of the toughest acts to follow around here. I was in the process of replying to your ?Sudden Fear? post the day you posted it when it dawned on me,?I need to watch the film again.? I like a ?fresh? viewing before I write. I need one with ?Sudden Fear.? I will say that after my initial viewing of the film, I liked it. ?Laurel? will be under the gun with me more so than ?Dix.?

You?re ready to write about the Palance movie before you write about the Bogart flick. Hmmmm. The old bait and switch, ey?

Laffite posted (Aug 28, 2008 2:04 AM) in response to FrankGrimes: ?Hi Frank, so glad you wrote that. I'm chuckling. I feel that way all the time. Prior to my TCM Forum days I seem to think now that I was rather casual in my movie viewing, not really thinking about them so much. But since being exposed to the 'rambles' of CineMaven, Molo, MissG, FrankGrimes, Jackie and others, all ?tough acts to follow? to say the least, I feel that unless I've seen the film in question rather recently I am not able to respond in kind...and even if I do remember the movie or watch it again, there are no guarantees. You guys really keep me on my toes. I have so many movie now that I feel I have ?see again? I doubt I'll ever accomplish it. But it's okay, I enjoy the bunch of you and wouldn't have it any other way.?

FrankGrimes responds to Lafitte on Aug 28 - 10:49am: ?Ahhhh, you are being quite modest. You seem very comfortable in the lead and you often raise the quality of the show with your performances. What you, CineMaven, and Molo wrote about 'In a Lonely Place' floored me. When I read all of what was brilliantly said, I realized I could not just show up in the middle of the night and "fake it." That wasn't going to fly.

In my mind, I have an idea what I'm wanting to say about ?In a Lonely Place? and ?Sudden Fear?, but I have discovered I can be more concise if I re-watch and analyze the films.?

Frank, alas and alack I come to the realization that your writing of ?In a Lonely Place? IS all in your mind.You re-vist, and re-watch...but do not write. Hey, wait-a-minute...I'm supposed to be exonerating you!

Laffite posted (Aug 31, 2008 5:43 AM) in response to FrankGrimes: ?You are always so kind with you praise of others, Frank. Thanks. Actually, though, it's The Maven and The Molo who have really excelled recently (and per the usual as well I'm sure) at initiating those ?rambles? in which I have participated. I have been more comfortable in simply reacting. Cine and Molo did such a devastating job with Miss Gloria's two scenes in ?Crossfire?, for instance, that my own thoughts were no longer available to me, they just sort of irretrievably imploded within me, so persuasive were the 2 Ms. It sounds a bit like your thoughts about ?showing up in the middle of the night? and ?faking? it. That's how I would have felt if I had tried to comment on ?Crossfire? at that time. I just had to walk away with the idea that I'll see the movie again, hopefully soon, and get a fresh reading. They both saw so much more than I did. That was quite a good movie, though, even the non-Gloria parts.?

This is FrankGrimes? last known post was Oct 4, 2008 9:53 PM in response to molo14: ?If nobody posts soon I might be forced to write a lengthy review of The Greatest Show on Earth. I'll do it I tell ya!?

And then he posts a lovely picture of Grahame from that movie.

Well...it took me a while to cull the evidence here. Frank Grimes, I came here to exonerate you but I submit that you should put on your list of New Year?s Resolution:

?I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THE TCM MESSAGE BOARD!?

Thank you all for your time.

Message was edited by CineMaven--Whew! What an undertaking THIS was!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> OMG Film_Fatale! So unnecessary to re-highlight my entire post. Just your comment following my post would have sufficed.

>

> Over-kill, my dear.

Alright, CM, if you would prefer that I edit my reply, I'll go ahead and do that. B-)

What's the score, Lively Gal? -- :D

One might not like Gloria Grahame and miss that thread, but many folks like the

FrankGrimes Torture Thread so here is a repeat:

Do you remember this thread?:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=97441&tstart=210&start=0

It's an interesting thread for a couple reasons, don't you think?

Miss Goddess writes: "Any bets whether FrankieGrimes will finally discuss

'In a Lonely Place' on this thread... before 2009 is over? It's one of my favorites

and I would actually enjoy to participate in that discussion for what it's worth.

No pressure of course, Frank."

Reading that made me think that Frank already did answer that.

I'm already laughing!

As I slogged uh...read through thirty pages of this Gloria Grahame thread to show

you that Frank Grimes HAS responded and eloquently written about the Nicholas

Ray film ?IN A LONELY PLACE? starring Humphrey Bogart and the great, unsung

Gloria Grahame.

You're right! I have! I have!

Now please just pass by this thread if you have no interest in Double G,

Impossible.

or in FrankGrimes

Very wise.

or in anything I have to say just becuz it?s me, CineMaven.

Big mistake.

But if you DO have an interest...please read the below.

Okay, I'll stop reading.

If you have me on

Never!

1. One must have a love for Gloria Grahame.

2. One must have a sense of humor.

I've only got one of the two, but I'm gonna risk reading on.

Yes, I am telling you what to do and feel. That?s what Mavens do.

That got a big laugh out of me!

P.S.: (All humor-less posters may freely and Americanly read a different thread

and against popular belief newbies are invited to read this thread but ya still gotta

love Gloria Grahame AND have a sense of humor).

Nicely said. The board has many different threads for all. And we can start our

own threads. What a concept! I consider the board to be one big marketplace. You

can open up your shop but the consumer will decide if what you're peddling is of value

or not.

Why am I spending hours of my life with this particular post?? Well, it?s because

I posted a ?What The Heck Is Going On?? thread that veered off from what my original

intent was.

Not your fault, T. I trust all to think and decide for themselves as to what's real and

what's imagined. We cannot force others to like us, we can only be ourselves. If a person

actually takes the time to get to know a person or a place, they will start to see things more

and more clearly. The actions of a person will be heard more loudly than their words. By

the way, have I told you that I'm a gentleman? :P

You and I both joined the board about the same time in 2007. One of my first threads on

this board was this one:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7945172

As you can see, I didn't get many replies. But I didn't cry and say nobody likes me and that

there are cliques around here. In otherwords, I didn't paint myself as a victim. I had to

take the time to introduce myself to others more and to learn the board and its members

more. That was MY responsibility. And, having been on the board for a year and

half, I now understand why such a thread would go quiet.

Earned not given. That goes for new and old. It's up to us to earn our respect. I've become

friendly with many members who were on the board before me. I didn't beg them to like

me; and they all had established relationships before I arrived.

So now...I will prove to you that Frank Grimes HAS responded to this great Bogart

film that shows off Gloria Grahame in all her glory. Be patient and carefully read the

below re-cap. You will see Frank?s responsive and heartfelt wiriting of this great

Nicholas Ray movie:

That was excellent, CineBabe! I'm thoroughly impressed with your tireless reenactment

of my many crimes. It read like a film noir. Awesome!

"I am a huge fan of Gloria Grahame's. I'm not sure if there's another forum for her

or not, nut anyhow, I just decided to start one. I was always a huge fan of hers

because she could act, charm, have personality, and look gorgeous. There was

something quirky about her that made her stand out. I'm not sure if it was her

unconventional voice, her dry humor, or what. She is one of the criminally

underrated film stars from the Golden Era of Hollywood..."

And thus a wonderful thread was born.

It sure was. And the thread has lived on, in large part, due to you and Molo. Thank

goodness for that.

(See how welcoming I am to the semi-newbie).

Very much so. Most members are. It's all a matter of who you cross paths with

first. If a new member posts about musicals, they are not going to cross paths

with me. If they are talking film noir in threads I frequent, they will definitely get a

welcome from me.

Frank Grimes response to Cinemaven (Jul 16, 2008 - 9:41PM):?In a likely place. But

I'm reactive, not proactive.?

Uh-oh folks...I think that might be a very telling remark. But I?ll show ya. Wait and

see. Frank?ll come through.

It's a very true remark, too!

So I wrote up a lengthy analysis of ?In A Lonely Place? which was pleasantly

received. FrankGrimes commented on it. I submit this below to you good people.

Now did you really think I wouldn't comment on all the wonderful things you wrote about

Double G and In a Lonely Place?

See. Frank holds out the promise to write.

I'm still holding out. :P

Now Frank has yet to write in depth about ?In A Lonely Place? at this point. But he

sure butters us up with his compliments to our (Molo, Lafitte & Cinemaven) comments.

I spread it on thick. Am I sincere? That's for you to decide.

But Frank only offers up more excuses as of July 29th. Think not?

I spread those on thick, too. :)

BTW, do us a favor...don't bandy about with FrankGrimes. He's very very very

busy; he's told us this on a coupla occasions on this thread. This is why we're

all waiting ("with baited breath") for his take on "In A Lonely Place." We're curious

as to his view of the movie. So if you take him off course, and dangle little

conversational carrots in front of him...we'll never know what he thinks. Please allow

him to do his homework. Thanx!!

Now that floored me! Hey, I did write a lot about 3 Bad Men. And what about this

thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=117212&start=15&tstart=0

WAIT!!! I might be getting a little confused here. It might be a little hard to defend

and exonerate you Frank. I?m slowly coming to that realization. Frank, it?s kind of not

looking good for you. Ya see how Molo tries to get you to commit to ?In A Lonely Place?

but how you talk again of ?Sudden Fear.?

You present an awfully convincing case against me, CounselorMaven. I've got a

noose awaiting me in Laramie and now the hot seat in Los Angeles.

You?re ready to write about the Palance movie before you write about the Bogart flick. Hmmmm. The old bait and switch, ey?

No! I just wanted to let Molo know that his words on Sudden Fear were very good

and I'd like to reply to them. I still wish to... these many years later. :D

Frank, alas and alack I come to the realization that your writing of ?In a Lonely Place?

IS all in your mind.You re-vist, and re-watch...but do not write. Hey, wait-a-minute...I'm

supposed to be exonerating you!

It's both! I do know the heart of what I'm going to write about with In a Lonely Place,

and I most definitely come at the movie a little differently than what you, Molo, and Laffite

wrote. Miss G's take was closer to mine, but not all the way. The world would have ended

if we agreed.

I plead guilty of taking my serious writings too seriously. I'm very analytical. It takes me

hours to piece together my thoughts. You also must keep in mind that I have never written

any kind of film analysis prior to my joining this board. All of this is very new to me. It

doesn't come naturally for me; I'm making all of this up on the fly. This is why I feel I must

take my time.

I actually have a couple film analyses stored in "Draft" in my PM box. This is a snippet of

what I wrote LAST YEAR about a film I still haven't posted on:

The film's trek to Cordura is officially off now and what we will slowly learn is that those

on this trek are all selfish and childish in their own ways and they have their reasons for

being this way. What's driving their selfishness and childishness is what we need to find

out, and we will.

Before the tension mounts, Coop delivers pearls of wisdom:

Tom: "Lady, you're definitely much too logical for a woman."

:)

The first sign of tension sees Geary smoking cigarettes in front of the men. The men

haven't tasted tobacco in weeks and are dying to do so. She's most definitely taunting

the fellas. The fellas also haven't had any liquor or, more significantly, any women in

weeks, either. Yes, the table is being set with tobacco, but that's merely an

appetizer. A full-course meal is what some of the guys really want.

Well...it took me a while to cull the evidence here. Frank Grimes, I came here to

exonerate you but I submit that you should put on your list of New Year?s Resolution:

?I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THE TCM MESSAGE BOARD!?

Thank you all for your time.

:D:D Just hang me now!

Message was edited by CineMaven--Whew! What an undertaking THIS was!

And I now need an undertaker. :)

inalonelyplace8.jpg

Whew! What an undertaking THIS was!

WoW!!!!! Miss Maven...when it comes to doling out the torture...oh...let us all stop for a moment of silent adoration...

Ok...there...that was a moment.

Again I say WOW. While I have never seen too many of the now soon to be infamous Miss Grahame's films (due to your post I am sure infamy may be putting it mildly) I must say I am now going to be inspired to find out what all the fuss is about. I will have to put "In a Lonely Place" on my ever expanding "Wanna See List"

Frank Grimes, I came here to exonerate you but I submit that you should put on your list of New Year?s Resolution: ?I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THE TCM MESSAGE BOARD!?

Trust me...I have it on good authority that he is SO horribly, terribly, and thoroughly far behind...even if we locked him in a "lonely place" and let him sleep only 2 hours a day until he responds to all those promised conversations....he still would not likely be caught up by this time next year...but even so...it's nice to have a goal!.

Not only was this quite an undertaking for him, he

actually spent more time and words replying as to why he's

not writing than he's ever done on any post ever!

Frank, your talent for making excuses is monumental

and I'm filled with admiration! I'm going to study your

post like a textbook! :) Not only do I now exonerate

you after reading your words, I sympathize because

I totally swallowed the Codura-Carrot whole, just like

you knew I would. I think now I'll smoke a cigarette...

Wow! You STARTED a thread of your own here??

I never saw it before. I think I'll reply!

I've got a noose awaiting me in Laramie and now the hot seat in Los Angeles.

Announcing the official FrankGrimes theme song for 2009

The jig is up...(pay special attention to the part about "Hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long"...) :-)

Ladies, I think we're stuck with him. He will not budge, he will not change, he stands steadfast in his procrastination. But I might be being too harsh.

I had been looking for my initial post for hours...and you found it Frank. Amazing.

This doesn't come easy to him, but none of us are real film scholars. We just talk from the heart. (That's why some of us get corrected so much by SCSU for grammatical errors). We're not writing as academicians. You plead your case well Frankie. So...

Miss Goddess, Rohanaka, Molo, Lafitte and the rest of the Board...I hereby nominate Mr. Frank Grimes for Governor of Illinois.

(Frank...you do have a full head of hair, don'cha?)

Cinemaven,

Great bit of research. I think we have enough evidence to go to trial.

(Who wants to start that thread? ;) )

I might say more on the Gloria thread. I have a lot of catching up to do this evening.