Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Miss Goddess, Rohanaka, Molo, Lafitte and the rest of the Board...I hereby nominate Mr. Frank Grimes for Governor of Illinois.

>

> (Frank...you do have a full head of hair, don'cha?)

You think he's the one who can clean up Chicago politics? ;)

Howdy Frank,

Is this your day of reckoning? :)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

>

> Do you remember this thread?:

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=97441&tstart=210&start=0

>

> It's an interesting thread for a couple reasons, don't you think?

What a nice opening thread.

>

> You and I both joined the board about the same time in 2007. One of my first threads on

> this board was this one:

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7945172

>

> As you can see, I didn't get many replies. But I didn't cry and say nobody likes me and that

> there are cliques around here. In otherwords, I didn't paint myself as a victim. I had to

> take the time to introduce myself to others more and to learn the board and its members

> more. That was MY responsibility. And, having been on the board for a year and

> half, I now understand why such a thread would go quiet.

>

> Earned not given. That goes for new and old. It's up to us to earn our respect. I've become

> friendly with many members who were on the board before me. I didn't beg them to like

> me; and they all had established relationships before I arrived.

Those are good points Frank. I must reply to your thread now. It's a novelty. Did you ever start another one?

>

> "I am a huge fan of Gloria Grahame's. I'm not sure if there's another forum for her

> or not, nut anyhow, I just decided to start one. I was always a huge fan of hers

> because she could act, charm, have personality, and look gorgeous. There was

> something quirky about her that made her stand out. I'm not sure if it was her

> unconventional voice, her dry humor, or what. She is one of the criminally

> underrated film stars from the Golden Era of Hollywood..."

>

> And thus a wonderful thread was born.

>

> It sure was. And the thread has lived on, in large part, due to you and Molo. Thank

> goodness for that.

It is a nice thread. The Gloria thread has done remarkably well for a thread that is probably better suited "forum wise" to "You're Favorites." Still. like Gloria it perseveres and I can't think of a better place for a Gloria Grahame thread than in "HOT" topics. :)

>

> Youre ready to write about the Palance movie before you write about the Bogart flick. Hmmmm. The old bait and switch, ey?

>

> No! I just wanted to let Molo know that his words on Sudden Fear were very good

> and I'd like to reply to them. I still wish to... these many years later. :D

*The TCM Message Board: the time is the distant future. With my arthritic hands and ever* *diminishing mind I manage to tap out a few last thoughts on my key board before finally* *keeling over:*

C M Frnk say 2marO he rite bout GG + IALP # cant waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

> It's both! I do know the heart of what I'm going to write about with In a Lonely Place,

> and I most definitely come at the movie a little differently than what you, Molo, and Laffite

> wrote. Miss G's take was closer to mine, but not all the way. The world would have ended

> if we agreed.

I think the fact that you threw this out: I most definitely come at the movie a little differently than what you, Molo, and Laffite wrote is what left us all on the edge of our seat. I found MissGoddess's post very interesting and I will definitely respond.

>

> I plead guilty of taking my serious writings too seriously. I'm very analytical. It takes me

> hours to piece together my thoughts. You also must keep in mind that I have never written

> any kind of film analysis prior to my joining this board. All of this is very new to me. It

> doesn't come naturally for me; I'm making all of this up on the fly. This is why I feel I must

> take my time.

I can understand that Frank. I have a lot of posts on films that are overdue myself. For me, I worry that each time I post I might be so off the mark that I"ll be laughed off the boards. I think the fact that a mounting army is waiting for you to post something should give you lots of confidence. No pressure though. :)

Hi Rohanaka!

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> Again I say WOW. While I have never seen too many of the now soon to be infamous Miss Grahame's films (due to your post I am sure infamy may be putting it mildly) I must say I am now going to be inspired to find out what all the fuss is about. I will have to put "In a Lonely Place" on my ever expanding "Wanna See List"

I hope you will join us in the Gloria thread. I would love to hear your thoughts!

>

> Frank Grimes, I came here to exonerate you but I submit that you should put on your list of New Years Resolution: I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THE TCM MESSAGE BOARD!

>

> Trust me...I have it on good authority that he is SO horribly, terribly, and thoroughly far behind...even if we locked him in a "lonely place" and let him sleep only 2 hours a day until he responds to all those promised conversations....he still would not likely be caught up by this time next year...but even so...it's nice to have a goal!.

Actually I feel I'm falling further and further behind myself. Frank will come through though. We must cling to that hope. :)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Not only was this quite an undertaking for him, he

> actually spent more time and words replying as to why he's

> not writing than he's ever done on any post ever!

Ha! I was thinking the same thing! That is funny.

>

> Frank, your talent for making excuses is monumental

> and I'm filled with admiration! I'm going to study your

> post like a textbook! :) Not only do I now exonerate

> you after reading your words, I sympathize because

> I totally swallowed the Codura-Carrot whole, just like

> you knew I would.

Are you issuing him a pardon? I'm surprised.

Now what's all this about Codura? :)

> I think now I'll smoke a cigarette...

I'll join you. :)

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> > Actually I feel I'm falling further and further behind myself. Frank will come through though. We must cling to that hope. :)

>

> Unless CM succeeds at getting him elected Governor of Illinois. ;)

Well if we put him on trial that will give him a "leg up" there. ;)

Frankie!!

guess what! my family was watching top Secret! today and me and my little brother turned the Mel torme song in the diner up louder and we did that dance in the diner in front of momma and daddy and we even got those women dummies to throw in the air and spin around. heehee! it was too fun! and we also got one of our little portable tables and i jumped ontop of it and sang tutti fruiti!! goodness! it was just too fun to do! you simply cant watch that movie and not have fun at the same time! daddy couldnt stop laughing and momma had this interesting look on her face when she was watching us, and then at the end she said, "you're better than cable! you should do a real duet with val kilmer and see what happens." naturally she was being sarchastic. heehee!

Hello there Molo!!

I hope you will join us in the Gloria thread. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Well...I would but if I did, all I could do was talk about her role in It's a Wonderful Life...and Oklahoma's Ado Annie. Those are the only two of her films I can really say I am familair w/. I would likely be your most G rated poster in the GG thread! :-)

Actually I feel I'm falling further and further behind myself.

Well at least YOU have had a reasonable reason...your mom comes first (as all mom's should!) :-) But since I hear she is doing so well lately ( WOOHOOO on that by the way) and now that I have been seeing your posting more regularly around here...HMMM.... I may have to go and purchase some more rope!! :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hello there Molo!!

>

> I hope you will join us in the Gloria thread. I would love to hear your thoughts!

>

> Well...I would but if I did, all I could do was talk about her role in It's a Wonderful Life...and Oklahoma's Ado Annie. Those are the only two of her films I can really say I am familair w/. I would likely be your most G rated poster in the GG thread! :-)

It would be really great if you could share your thoughts on Violet and Ado Annie. We really haven't discussed those roles much and for the thread to survive we have to cover everything. Don't worry about being G rated. I wrote about her in *Merton of the Movies* which is a Red Skelton picture. If you write I will comment.

>

> Actually I feel I'm falling further and further behind myself.

>

> Well at least YOU have had a reasonable reason...your mom comes first (as all mom's should!) :-) But since I hear she is doing so well lately ( WOOHOOO on that by the way) and now that I have been seeing your posting more regularly around here...HMMM.... I may have to go and purchase some more rope!! :-)

Uh Oh! No need to be hasty now! I better get to work. You will be hearing from me in the rambles and in class. I promise. That's a real promise, not a Grimes promise. ;)

((Just kidding Frank but I feel I can say things like that because this *IS* a thread to torture you after all :) ))

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> > > Actually I feel I'm falling further and further behind myself. Frank will come through though. We must cling to that hope. :)

> >

> > Unless CM succeeds at getting him elected Governor of Illinois. ;)

>

> Well if we put him on trial that will give him a "leg up" there. ;)

Would it really? Mmm. There's an idea. ;)

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Mr. Grimes, I hope you're not found in this state. The pain and anger will eventually go away with time.

>

Great photo, metsie! I'm not even sure what movie it's from. Looks like a silent movie to me. B-)

Hey there, Grahame's Guy -- Is this your day of reckoning?

Dead Reckoning, I reckon.

I must reply to your thread now. It's a novelty.

:D It sure is.

Did you ever start another one?

A few. Here's the sampler:

This is the very first thread I ever started on the board:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=105492&tstart=3540

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7960011

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=108421&start=60&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=115922&start=30&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=115933&start=30&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=110801&start=75&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=106764&start=15&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7955190

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7953544

And here's a Miss G thread about her favorite thing:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=107042&tstart=3570&start=90

It is a nice thread. The Gloria thread has done remarkably well for a thread that

is probably better suited "forum wise" to "You're Favorites." Still. like Gloria it

perseveres and I can't think of a better place for a Gloria Grahame thread than

in "HOT" topics.

Hey, I like that! And you're most definitely right, Gloria's thread really has done quite

well despite the forum it resides in.

C M Frnk say 2marO he rite bout GG + IALP # cant waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

:D From the grave!

I think the fact that you threw this out: I most definitely come at the movie a little

differently than what you, Molo, and Laffite wrote is what left us all on the edge of

our seat.

I'm nothing but a tease. Laurel is in trouble.

I found MissGoddess's post very interesting and I will definitely respond.

She wasn't her wrongheaded-self. I'm worried.

I can understand that Frank. I have a lot of posts on films that are overdue myself. For

me, I worry that each time I post I might be so off the mark that I"ll be laughed off the

boards.

The only thing I'm laughing at is your fear of being laughed off the boards. That ain't

gonna happen. You're one of the best writers on the board. Your post on

Double Indemnity in CineMaven's "love class" and all that you have written

about In a Lonely Place is proof positive of that.

I think the fact that a mounting army is waiting for you to post something should give

you lots of confidence. No pressure though.

That's a lot of pressure. But I've got myself to blame for that.

That's a real promise, not a Grimes promise.

((Just kidding Frank but I feel I can say things like that because this IS a thread to torture you after all ))

That was the biggest laugh of the day for me! It's funny because it's true. :)

How's it goin', Red Riding Hood -- You're rotten!

Ciao, CineBabe -- Ladies, I think we're stuck with him. He will not budge, he will not change, he stands steadfast in his procrastination. But I might be being too harsh.

No, that's right. I'm a billy goat.

I had been looking for my initial post for hours...and you found it Frank. Amazing.

Do you remember this one?:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7927004

This doesn't come easy to him, but none of us are real film scholars. We just talk

from the heart. (That's why some of us get corrected so much by SCSU for

grammatical errors). We're not writing as academicians. You plead your case well

Frankie. So...

But I haven't been watching classic film as long as most of you. I didn't even know what

Ava Gardner or Lana Turner looked like before I joined this board. Think about that.

Frank would you do your civic duty and run for the Governor of Illinois? Remember: "...ask

not what your TCM can do for you. Ask what you can do for your TCM."

How much do I have to pay for the civic duty?

Hola, J-Girl! -- Mr. Grimes, I hope you're not found in this state.

Hey, that's the state Miss G resides in!

The pain and anger will eventually go away with time.

23 stabs will do that for ya.

Bonjour, Miss Stabby -- Not only was this quite an undertaking for him, he

actually spent more time and words replying as to why he's not writing than he's ever

done on any post ever!

:D I'm an expert at excuses. No need for me to compose my thoughts there. :P

Frank, your talent for making excuses is monumental and I'm filled with admiration! I'm

going to study your post like a textbook!

:P

Wow! You STARTED a thread of your own here??

It was a traumatic experience that has haunted me ever since. I shall never repeat such

horrors. :)

I never saw it before.

You weren't the only one!

Not only do I now exonerate you after reading your words, I sympathize

because I totally swallowed the Codura-Carrot whole, just like you knew

I would. I think now I'll smoke a cigarette...

Tramp!

theycametocordura7.jpg

*http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7960011*

That's actually a pretty interesting thread, and not one I remember having read before. I'm still learning about Fritz Lang's work, but that thread is one I'd definitely like to come back as I watch more FL movies.

There is no question that Hitchcock was extraordinarily lucky in terms of his experience with the great German directors, aside from the fact that he started working in the British film industry pretty much as it was being born, writing inter-title cards and what not, which gave him enough opportunity to learn almost every facet of filmmaking as he worked his way up to becoming a director.

I want to revisit that Hitchcock biography I read a while back because there are also some interesting parallels between him and John Ford (reportedly they were both secretly scared of women and generally uncomfortable with openly discussing anything that had to do with sexuality). Certainly their Catholic upbringing (albeit in different countries) seems to have been a major influence to both.

Howdy, Super Sweet T! -- I knew you'd come to my rescue.

guess what! my family was watching top Secret!

Woohoo! My favorite!

today and me and my little brother turned the Mel torme song in the diner up

louder and we did that dance in the diner in front of momma and daddy and we

even got those women dummies to throw in the air and spin around. heehee! it was

too fun!

Where in the world did you dig up women dummies? I got it! Miss G and Coopsy's Girl

were over! :P:P:P

and we also got one of our little portable tables and i jumped ontop of it and sang

tutti fruiti!! goodness! it was just too fun to do!

:D You're still wearing your go-go girl costume, aren't you? :)

you simply cant watch that movie and not have fun at the same time!

My feelings exactly!

daddy couldnt stop laughing and momma had this interesting look on her face when

she was watching us, and then at the end she said, "you're better than cable! you

should do a real duet with val kilmer and see what happens." naturally she was being

sarchastic. heehee!

And you'd make poor Val sing some trashy Celine Dion songs.

topsecret1.jpg

topsecret2.jpg

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Are you issuing him a pardon? I'm surprised.

>

> Now what's all this about Codura? :)

> > I think now I'll smoke a cigarette...

>

> I'll join you. :)

Hi Molo Macao! Have you ever seen the Gary Cooper western, They Came to

Codura? The scene Frank describes where Rita Hayworth is puffing in front

of the men is a key one and he has been promising the Coops-ladies forever to

talk about that movie, as well. So, he dangled a carrot and I bit, hoping he means

to come through for us. :)

Kathy, GG's "Violet" in It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite of all the roles she ever

played, and it's so small but I can talk about it more, probably, that I can about her

work in other movies because I like her here so much. So you won't lack for company.

I also like her a lot in The Bad and the Beautiful. I like her when she's happy, and

smiling at the world.

wow, Frank, you really started all those threads?? And I even replied to one or two.

And thanks for dredging up the best thread I ever started. :P

I wish you'd get back to the Hitchcock Ladies thread, that was great.

I wonder if any of Frank?s new year?s resolutions included all those movie reviews we?ve been promised for so long now? ;)

I had another dream about Gary last night and it was really cute. He, Rocky (his wife) and Maria (his daughter) lived in my fave childhood home that I dream about quite a bit and we were friends with them and they invited us over one night. Our kitchen opened into the dining room and we had a nice bar you could sit at in between the kitchen and dining area and my mom and I were sitting at the bar, my stepdad was sitting at the table while Rocky and Maria were in the kitchen making pies. Maria was in her early teens and Gary was early 50s. He was famous like he was in real life too.

So we?re all sitting around talking and Gary came in through the back door which opens into the kitchen so I guess he had been outside doing something. He was wearing jeans and a light blue button up shirt and he looked so cute. He asked Rocky and Maria how the pies were coming then he came over and sat down next to me at the bar on my left and my mom was on my right. I was working on a crossword puzzle and he was helping me. There wasn?t really enough room for three people there so me and him were real close and I remembered thinking that I had to behave and keep my hands to myself :P. Then I remembered thinking how awesome it was that I was friends with him since he was my fave actor and I was totally in love with him :x.

A couple nights before that I had a dream that me and him were married (much better than dreaming about his real wife ? ha!) and we were both around my age, early 30s. It was in the 50s and we were giving a dinner party in our cute 50s house. He had on a nice suit and I had this gorgeous black and with dress. It was sleeveless and the bodice was black with two pieces that overlapped to form a V neckline. It had a black belt and a skirt with black and white flowers on it. My hair was longer and blonde (like it is now but it?s short) and it was fixed in a cute up-do. We were both just mingling around and talking to our party guests ? good times, good times ;).

Two dreams about him in 5 days is a very good start to the new year :).

*Howdy, Super Sweet T! -- I knew you'd come to my rescue.*

*guess what! my family was watching top Secret!*

*Woohoo! My favorite!*

well i felt so guilty about cutting you out in the cold yesterday, so i promised i would be good for a while. heehee! i thought you would like this story.

*Where in the world did you dig up women dummies? I got it! Miss G and Coopsy's Girl*

*were over!*

well i was in my aunt's house the other day with my family, and we were all going through her attic and helping her clean and we found these dummies, only a couple, and they immidiately reminded me of the movie and i asked if i could borrow them.....she used to use them for her arts and crafts stuff she does. dont ask. heehee!

angie and april arent dummies! how mean! Gloria would never stand for such language. heehee!

*You're still wearing your go-go girl costume, aren't you?*

no, how silly! i wore my fifties skirt that i made and a blouse that went with it. golly! what a question!

*you simply cant watch that movie and not have fun at the same time!*

*My feelings exactly!*

dost thou ears deceive me? did thy just agree with moi? wow! heehee!

*And you'd make poor Val sing some trashy Celine Dion songs.*

story teller!! wouldnt you like to know. heehee! well actually....now that you mention it, it does sound like a splendid idea! at least i wouldnt make him wear the rear end of a cow!

oh! i forgot to add two of my favorite movies in that 80s list! do you like these movies? *Feds* with rebecca de mornay, and *Jumpin' Jack Flash* with whoopie goldberg, although i dont like her, i loooove this movie. i grew up with the both of these and was wondering about your thoughtsd on them if you had seen them.

You are correct Film Fatale. The photo is from "The Indian Tomb" (1921) and it depicts the ailing soul of the Maharajah. This is what he looked like before the self destruction.

l_dd763a0a2de848fc8fb842f07702c048.jpg

l_68745f8a85034e3da451e085e034733d.jpg

Bronxgirl, I hope to see Mr. Sardonicus if it's shown again on TCM.

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> You are correct Film Fatale. The photo is from "The Indian Tomb" (1921) and it depicts the ailing soul of the Maharajah. This is what he looked like before the self destruction.

>

Wow, so that must be Conrad Veidt, right? The movie appears to be listed in imdb under its original German title, *Das Indische Grabmal: Der Tiger von Eschnapur*:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0012313/

I'd definitely like to watch it! Veidt as a Maharajah sounds very exotic. B-)

Bonjour, Mlle Snob -- Wow, Frank, you really started all those threads?? And I even replied to one or two.

And that's why I stopped!

And thanks for dredging up the best thread I ever started.

I thought Molo should know your great passion in life. :P:P

I wish you'd get back to the Hitchcock Ladies thread, that was great.

What's there to get back to?