Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

1rof1.gif

That?s how I felt when the Charger?s set some kind of dubious record of running only one play in the entire third quarter. The worst quarter I've ever seen in my life. Sheer agony! In the hours that followed this game I comforted myself with a little schadenfreude thinking of all the disappointment there was for all the losers, not only the C, who were, let?s face it, supposed to lose, but for Titans, Giants, and Panthers, three teams who had stellar seasons earning a first-round bye and home-field throughout only to lose to teams that they were supposed to beat. (BTW, if the C had beat Pitt, this would have been the first time in history that all four first-round byers would have lost their openers in the Division round.) The C who were mediocre at best at mid season were able to transform themselves into a somewhat formidable force though, as it turned out, not enough of one. The Steelers were brilliant in making repeated third and longs to score that decisive TD in the 3rd Q (28-10) and I don?t necessarily fault the C defense for that, at least not overly so. The Steelers had a balanced offense and when a team can do that it will stymie even the best of defenses. Norv is here to stay. He has a 3-2 playoff record in two seasons and despite all the criticism levied at him and all the doubts as to his abilities as a coach, he has a better playoff record than his predecessor (Schotsie) who nevertheless is probably the better coach and probably never should have been fired. Anyway, though you lost, good show, Chargers, you gave your fans something to shout about.

As for the Steelers, take this:

thlizard.gif

*So when's the superbowl? B-)*

1rof1.gif

Who cares? Whaaaaaaah!

Seriously though...

If I were betting I would pick those wretched Steelers by virtue of their regular season record as the others are IMO somewhat of the upstart category. This whole season has been characterized by no-name teams taking the forefront. I have become jaded about trying to handicap football games any more. If there is anything in sports that is wholly unpredictable, it is a National Football League game. You might as well flip a coin.

Oh, when?...Feb 4, 2009 (after which the longest seven months in the history of calendar takes place, i.e., the end of one football season and the beginning of another).

*Oh, when?...Feb 4, 2009 (after which the longest seven months in the history of calendar takes place, i.e., the end of one football season and the beginning of another).*

This cracked me up (actually, so did your crying emoticon and the nyaahing gecko :) ) because for my Dad, the longest number of months is from when baseball season ends to when Spring training starts. He really starts to look a little tense right before and then suddenly he regains a sense of calm.

> {quote:title=Minya wrote:}{quote}

> *Oh, when?...Feb 4, 2009 (after which the longest seven months in the history of calendar takes place, i.e., the end of one football season and the beginning of another).*

>

> This cracked me up (actually, so did your crying emoticon and the nyaahing gecko :) ) because for my Dad, the longest number of months is from when baseball season ends to when Spring training starts. He really starts to look a little tense right before and then suddenly he regains a sense of calm.

That crying emoticon is really cute. I think I'm going to have to steal it from laffite. ;)

Well, sometimes I'm just glad I'm not too much into sports. This is one of those times. :P

• 2 weeks later...

What's up, Super Charger? -- That?s how I felt when the Charger?s set some kind

of dubious record of running only one play in the entire third quarter. The worst quarter

I've ever seen in my life. Sheer agony!

That really was agonizing. The entire football season has been nothing but that for

me. If only it would end good... but it won't. It just won't.

In the hours that followed this game I comforted myself with a little schadenfreude

thinking of all the disappointment there was for all the losers, not only the C, who

were, let?s face it, supposed to lose, but for Titans, Giants, and Panthers, three

teams who had stellar seasons earning a first-round bye and home-field throughout

only to lose to teams that they were supposed to beat.

Hey, at least you made it to the playoffs. Some teams were expected to reach the

Super Bowl and they didn't even make the darn playoffs.

(BTW, if the C had beat Pitt, this would have been the first time in history that all

four first-round byers would have lost their openers in the Division round.)

If only that had happened. The league is very down right now. The NFC sucks and the AFC

is getting to be that way. Mediocrity has taken hold.

The C who were mediocre at best at mid season were able to transform themselves

into a somewhat formidable force though, as it turned out, not enough of one. The

Steelers were brilliant in making repeated third and longs to score that decisive TD in

the 3rd Q (28-10) and I don?t necessarily fault the C defense for that, at least not overly

so. The Steelers had a balanced offense and when a team can do that it will stymie

even the best of defenses.

The Chargers' defense has taken a step back from when Marty and Wade Phillips were

there. Granted, they were missing their number one difference-maker and one of the best

in all the league; that would hamper most. If Dallas didn't have DeMarcus Ware, they'd

suffer horribly.

Norv is here to stay. He has a 3-2 playoff record in two seasons and despite all the

criticism levied at him and all the doubts as to his abilities as a coach, he has a better

playoff record than his predecessor (Schotsie) who nevertheless is probably the better

coach and probably never should have been fired.

All true. But Norv and a few other coaches (Phillips) will have to take their teams to the

Super Bowl or at least the title game next year or Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan will be at

the helm.

As for the Steelers, take this:

They're taking the Lombardi.

EDITED: I had a comment here about Super Bowls...but I think I'll withdraw it for

the time being,

And I read that comment. It was very good. You're lucky to have "experienced" the

first Super Bowl in person and out of person. :D

Howdy, Coopsy's Dream Girl! -- That?s too messy. I think I?ll just cut some

cake with my main squeeze instead :x

You and Bogie make a cute couple. :P

What? What has happened to you and your dreams?

I don?t know? I?ve asked myself the same thing. What happened to the days when

I dreamed about me, Gary and lewd acts committed in public? :P

You need to rediscover your magic. Watch The Fountainhead!

Being domesticated with this guy isn?t such a bad thing. I?d be a good little housewife

and I would love it . :x

Who wants a "good" little housewife?

You are cruisin? for a bruisin? mister. You better be careful messing with us

Texas gals, we know how to put men like you in their place.

:D And what place is that, Missy?

You and Snobby T better behave, Indecorous Gal. Have fun. Oh, wait. Fun for you

ain't behavin'. A "good little housewife," my rear!

*The entire football season has been nothing but that for*

*me. If only it would end good... but it won't. It just won't.*

Hi ya Frank! What would have to happen for it to end good...at this point, I mean. Are you saying you want the Cardinals to win?

*They're { the Steelers } taking the Lombardi.*

Probably. They are the better team. I rooting for the Cards. I'm not a fan of the Steelers. Not because they beat the Chargers though, I just don't like them. As a sports fan, I reserve the right to hate, hate, hate without having to explain myself ;) . Go Cards.

*The league is very down right now. The NFC sucks and the AFC*

*is getting to be that way. Mediocrity has taken hold.*

Or is it parity. Maybe it's a good thing that the better team can't count their chickens.

*But Norv and a few other coaches (Phillips) will have to take their teams to the*

*Super Bowl or at least the title game next year or Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan will be at*

*the helm.*

I didn't know Shanahan had been fired until I read what you wrote. I'm shocked. If anyone had a job for life it was Shanny. I think it's a mistake. Who are they going to get any better. It wasn't his fault. But it was a humiliating season, not only the three ahead with three to go, but the fact that the Broncs were in first place for 16 weeks only to lose everything in week 17. And here he was, quite the maverick after going for two to beat the C in week two. But they felt they had to do something...but why do the wrong thing?

*And I read that comment. It was very good. You're lucky to have "experienced" the*

*first Super Bowl in person and out of person. :D*

Ouch! :(

;)

Nice to see you around, Laffite! -- What would have to happen for it to end

good...at this point, I mean. Are you saying you want the Cardinals to win?

Yep. It would save this horrendous season for me.

They're { the Steelers } taking the Lombardi.

Probably. They are the better team. I rooting for the Cards. I'm not a fan of the

Steelers. Not because they beat the Chargers though, I just don't like them. As a

sports fan, I reserve the right to hate, hate, hate without having to explain

myself . Go Cards.

Ohhhh, I'm a hater when it comes to the local teams here. If the Cards can take out

both of the teams I dislike, I'll be amazed. But I know it's not going to happen.

The league is very down right now. The NFC sucks and the AFC

is getting to be that way. Mediocrity has taken hold.

Or is it parity. Maybe it's a good thing that the better team can't count their chickens.

I'm thinking mediocrity over parity right now. The Cardinals got thrashed by the Patriots

(and other teams during the season) at the end of the season and here they are in the

Super Bowl. The Steelers are a good team, but I don't consider them to be great. It's

just one of those years and times. It reminds me of 2000-01.

I didn't know Shanahan had been fired until I read what you wrote. I'm shocked. If

anyone had a job for life it was Shanny. I think it's a mistake. Who are they going to

get any better. It wasn't his fault. But it was a humiliating season, not only the three

ahead with three to go, but the fact that the Broncs were in first place for 16 weeks

only to lose everything in week 17. And here he was, quite the maverick after going

for two to beat the C in week two. But they felt they had to do something...but why

do the wrong thing?

I think it was one of those, "it's time to move on" decisions. It will be difficult for the

Broncos to find a coach better than Shanahan, that's for sure. But I think they are

looking for a new direction, a new voice, a new look. New doesn't mean better, though.

And I read that comment. It was very good. You're lucky to have "experienced" the

first Super Bowl in person and out of person.

Ouch!

Are you still feeling the aftereffects? :D I loved your retelling of a story that you don't

remember. That was great.

So, is this "Dr. Grimes" some relative of the namesake of this thread?

:D Yes! I'm the ghost of his evil brother. I practice in bad medicine, don't you know. The

heart in my name is turned upside down.

Where in the world do you find these posters, Dr. Jones? You're quite remarkable.

I?m not surprised that Frank is related to Dr. Grimes who is a dentist and we all know that is the most sadistic profession on the planet. Dr. Grimes nearly gassed one of his patients to death due to an old grudge and I would bet a wooden nickel that Frank gave him the idea.

That is way too cute about the O?s being little hearts! I didn?t even notice it until it was pointed out in the poster thread. Maybe I didn?t notice b/c I just always seem them that way :x.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Im not surprised that Frank is related to Dr. Grimes who is a dentist and we all know that is the most sadistic profession on the planet. Dr. Grimes nearly gassed one of his patients to death due to an old grudge and I would bet a wooden nickel that Frank gave him the idea.

>

****, Angie! :D

Hey Frank,

How do you feel about Lassie films?

I know it's a strange question but bear with me a minute. I was just reading an article about the movie *Hills of Home* which was reviewed on the website by Margarita Landazuri. The last sentence had me laughing out loud. I had never heard that quote before. I will quote what she wrote:

Lassie Come Home was such a hit that six more Lassie movies followed, all of them starring Pal, who had by then assumed the stage name and persona of Lassie, and had become one of MGM's top stars. By 1946, he even had his own radio show. Like many stars, he proved his versatility by playing other characters. The first sequel, in fact, was called Son of Lassie (1945), and he actually played a male - Laddie, the eponymous son. But in all the sequels, and whatever the name, the dog's character was always the same: handsome, dignified, brave, smart, and resourceful. "Greer Garson with fur," one critic called him.

The full article can be found here:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=95492&mainArticleId=156092

28lassielarge1.jpg

So it's possible that an aversion to Greer may carry over to Lassie films as well.

I'm certain, whoever said that originally, meant no disparagement against our illustrious Miss Garson, although they may be hinting that Lassie might have taken himself a little too seriously. Also I want it to be clear that I'm not sure where I'm going with this and NO I haven't been drinking! ;)

*Disclaimer* *This post was in no way meant to insinuate anything uncomplimentary about Greer Garson, Lassie or Frank Grimes. The postee has only the utmost respect for all three of these fine people (well the two people and then there's the dog). The postee also wishes to express his love and admiration for the talented Miss Garson and her devotees on this board.*

Oh alright! Maybe I have had just a couple!! :)

What's up, Dead Molo Walking -- Hey Frank,

Ohhhh, you are in big trouble. You just made me look like an angel. Thank you!

How do you feel about Lassie films?

Is Gary Cooper in them? No? I like 'em!

But in all the sequels, and whatever the name, the dog's character was always the

same: handsome, dignified, brave, smart, and resourceful. "Greer Garson with fur," one

critic called him.

:D I cannot believe you just called Greer a dog! How cruel! Lassie is a better performer,

too. :P:P:P

I'm certain, whoever said that originally, meant no disparagement against our illustrious

Miss Garson,

Oh, I'm sure of that. :D

Disclaimer This post was in no way meant to insinuate anything uncomplimentary

about Greer Garson, Lassie or Frank Grimes. The postee has only the utmost respect

for all three of these fine people (well the two people and then there's the dog).

I know better. You're saying the three of us are dogs! Ruff, ruff!

The postee also wishes to express his love and admiration for the talented Miss

Garson and her devotees on this board.

Well, I have seen you talk well of Greer on another thread, so you may be speaking the

truth here. No need to express your love and admiration for the biggest Greer devotee on

the board. She's a Texan snob with such trashy taste. Can you believe she actually finds

movies about serial killers and homewreckers to be romantic? Only her.

Also I want it to be clear that I'm not sure where I'm going with this and NO I haven't been drinking! Oh alright! Maybe I have had just a couple!!

I don't blame ya:

bigheat3.jpg

bigheat4.jpg

Be careful... it's hot. Or is it that she's hot? And I'm not talking about the ONE and ONLY

Double G, either. Some gal is about to boil. :P

bigheat5.jpg

*What's up, Dead Molo Walking*

TALE_OF_TWO_CITIES-16.jpg?t=1233026064

Hopefully it will be quick and painless.

*Ohhhh, you are in big trouble. You just made me look like an angel. Thank you!*

I think you're using my innocent little post to make yourself look good. ;)

*I cannot believe you just called Greer a dog! How cruel! Lassie is a better performer,*

*too.*

Foul! Foul!

I said no such thing. I was just trying to get you to examine your Greerphobia from another perspective. :)

*Well, I have seen you talk well of Greer on another thread, so you may be speaking the*

*truth here.*

My love of all things Greer is boundless! I have only ever had nice things to say about this wonderful woman.

greer4.jpg?t=1233026273

*No need to express your love and admiration for the biggest Greer devotee on*

*the board. She's a Texan snob with such trashy taste. Can you believe she actually finds*

*movies about serial killers and homewreckers to be romantic? Only her.*

Now we've come back around again. All is as it was before. What were you saying about looking like an angel? :D

*Be careful... it's hot. Or is it that she's hot? And I'm not talking about the ONE and ONLY*

*Double G, either. Some gal is about to boil.*

but I wrote a disclaimer and everything!

Come now!

Let's be reasonable here!

greergarson.jpg

I think I will go hide out in another thread until this whole thing blows over!

Butterscotch,

It was all Frank's fault!!

Really!!! :D

Hopefully it will be quick and painless.

With Butterscotch? Ha! Slow and painful!

I think you're using my innocent little post to make yourself look good.

I have no shot at making myself look good.

I cannot believe you just called Greer a dog! How cruel! Lassie is a better performer,

too.

Foul! Foul!

I said no such thing. I was just trying to get you to examine your Greerphobia from another perspective.

Yes, you did! You specifically said that Greer reminded you of Lassie. Everyone

saw it! :D It fits, too. Both are lassies!

My love of all things Greer is boundless! I have only ever had nice things to say about

this wonderful woman.

Do you honestly believe that calling her a dog is a nice thing? For shame! :P

I think I will go hide out in another thread until this whole thing blows over!

Ohhh, I know what thread you're headed to.

Butterscotch,

It was all Frank's fault!!

Really!!!

She knows better. She may be a snobby Pride and Prejudice gal, but she's no

dummy.

Now we've come back around again. All is as it was before. What were you saying

about looking like an angel?

alfredhitchcockpresents1.jpg