• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

angel03.gif

cardinals2.jpgcardinals2.jpg

cardinals2.jpgcardinals2.jpg

===

Congratulations to *_Jackie_* and *_Minya_* for correctly guessing how much I paid for a ticket for Super Bowl I in the *First Annual Laffite Super Bowl Quiz Sweepstakes* in which first prize was absolutely nothing. And be sure to take part in *The Second Annual Laffite Super Bowl Quiz Sweepstakes* next year when the grand prize will be even less. It's not that I'm cheap, mind you, it's just I don't want to spoil you.

But I know that a sincere congratulations from Laffite is compensation enough ;) .

Yes, that first ticket was $20. It was not bought singly, rather it was a group of us (my local watering hole) that went up on the bus. As I related in my original, now defunct, post on this subject (some details of which have been ignominiously revived by the mischevious *_FrankGrimes_* ), I would have been better off watching this game on television, for if that had been so, I would have fell off a mere bar stool and not on the lap of the guy in front of me at the Los Angeles Colosseum (actually I didn't really fall on the guy's lap, I fell on the guy's wife's lap) a result from the exercise of some creative elbow bending that renders some of the details of this game somewhat fuzzy. But I do remember that the Chiefs were supposed to get killed (which they subsequently were) but that they only trailed by 14-10 at halftime, a fact so startling at the time that it made me look and see what I was drinking. But Starr and Magee took over the second half and the Lombardi Dictum, namely, that "winning is everything", now ensconced in our collective consciousness, is the Axiom of the Sports Age.

But to the subject at hand, the Cards v. the Steelers. Now that everybody knows I am ancient, let me just say that, when I was a kid, the two worst teams in the NFL were the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chicago Cardinals. Horrible teams both. Since then the Steelers have excelled and are now one of the most successful Super Bowl teams ever. The Cardinals, however, who have since moved to Arizona after a sojourn in St Louis are, like the Chargers by the way, still trying to win one. I say NOW IS THE TIME!. As you can see, I have invoked Divinity above for a little help. So let's all relax and enjoy the game. I can't wait for the agony to begin.

:)

*Blah and blech. What a rough weekend. Now I'm wishing to be as you were at the first Super Bowl, Super Charger.*

They almost did it.

Almost, almost, and almost. O horrible word!.

The last time I looked in the mirror I still looked like this:

icon_eek.gif

But O well, what me worry. Why, in no time at all, Laffite will once again regain his customary zest for living and meet life with an indomitable will and optimism and the all the while throwing off these petty disappointments and going forward to resume his fascinating existence:

icon_juggle.gif

?well, sorta.

(sigh)

:(

Almost

===

*Here's hoping the Cardinals get another shot at the title very soon. B-)*

Who likes the Cardinals? I hate the Steelers. It's hate we're talkin' about here.

Oh, btw, take this, Steelers:

thlizard.gif

*The Nyaaahing Gecko strikes again.*

(It's nice to have something like this when the team you hate keeps winning)

(ps thanks to you *Minya* for the characterization, used above, that you gave our scaley, snarky friend in one of its prior incarnations in one of your posts below. Clever! But now that the football season is over I think the scaley one might just slither away in retirement at least until next year when the misery begins all over again.)

;)

//

I was pulling for the Cardinals Laffite. I didn't want the Steelers to win either. It was a good game. The fact that it was so close almost makes it harder. Oh well I'm sure you will recover real soon. :)

Well while we're waiting for Frank and Lafitte to recover....

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Greer Garson....

greergarson5.jpg?t=1233642359

*Sigh!*

1oscars-gal-greer-garson.jpg?t=1233642564

*What a Woman!*

I just had to get that off my chest. :)

Well while we're waiting for Frank and Lafitte to recover....

I'll be paying for this one for a while.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Greer Garson.

It's too late. Everyone read your feelings about Lassie being a better peformer and better looking than Greer Garson. Poor, poor Sweet T. She's so distraught. I've heard she hasn't stopped crying and this is why she hasn't been on the board. At least she knows I defended Greer. Greer is just as good a performer and just as good looking as Lassie.

*Everyone read your feelings about Lassie being a better peformer and better looking than Greer Garson.*

I don't know what you're talking about.

*It's too late*

No it's not! You are just jealous because what Greer and I have is pure, noble and true! :)

*At least she knows I defended Greer*....

uh huh...wait for it....here it comes....

*Greer is just as good a performer and just as good looking as Lassie.*

Ah there we go! :)

I feel safer already! :D

*She's so distraught. I've heard she hasn't stopped crying and this is why she hasn't been on the board.*

I hear she bought a new pair of black gloves and rented a car....have you checked the locks on your doors lately! ;)

Everyone read your feelings about Lassie being a better peformer and better looking than Greer Garson.

I don't know what you're talking about.

And I thought it was really low of you to post photos of Lassie and Greer in the "Lookalikes" thread. How awful!

It's too late

No it's not! You are just jealous because what Greer and I have is pure, noble and true!

Are you two-timing Gloria again? She'd never do such a thing to you. :D

I hear she bought a new pair of black gloves and rented a car....have you checked the locks on your doors lately!

:D Are those long black gloves driving gloves? How chic! I just read today that Richmond was voted the best place in the world to strangle a man with long black gloves.

prideandprejudice9.jpg

*And I thought it was really low of you to post photos of Lassie and Greer in the "Lookalikes" thread. How awful!*

:D Okay now you're just making things up! It's obvious I can't get a fair break here.

*Are you two-timing Gloria again? She'd never do such a thing to you.*

Like I said I can't get a break here!

I've been meaning to post in the Gloria thread but I feel I need to watch *High Noon* first before I can comment on what you and Jackie are talking about.

*Are those long black gloves driving gloves? How chic! I just read today that Richmond was voted the best place in the world to strangle a man with long black gloves.*

Ya know, it is dark, windy and snowing out here tonight. It looks just like the setting of one of Greer's movies. You can't hear footsteps in the snow! Uh Oh!

Well I better get to bed. Right after I watch *Random Harvest* again! ;)

*But if I win, you must pay me. I want more posts from you, monsieur! And not just about football! :)*

Hi Jackie, thanks! And since you are a co-winner I will oblige with a post something other than football (and most willingly, too), although I may hear you groaning when you see the matter since I am still on the BBC kick, to wit:

dollshouseem.jpg

Anthony is really great in Ibsen's A Doll House, although he makes his character maybe more sympathetic than he is supposed to. After all, the character is stodgy, arrogrant, and a bit shallow when it comes to certain matters and yet I feel almost more sorry for him that his wife at the end of the play. Claire Bloom understates her final scene and to great effect. She is wonderful here. I found my eyes on her whether she was talking or not. I say this not with reference to her beauty, but to her acting.

I had seen an earlier bbc production of another Ibsen play, "Little Eyolf," that is so bad IMO that not even AnthonyH nor Diana Rigg could save it. Charles Dance is in this one and has a dreary part that goes no where. It's hard to image Charles boring but it's not his fault. He is very young in this one.

Speaking of Diana and Charles, I wonder if you've seen the Rebecca that was done about 10 years ago on PBS. I really liked it. Yes, this is a tired old story, we all know it by heart, still it can be a very interesting watch if for no other reason than to check out the acting. Charles Dance as Maxim has that towering presence that he seems to have developed especially as he aged and as we saw so readily in Bleak House (2005). When Diana Rigg made her entrance as Mrs Danvers, my first thought was, oh no, she's going to over do it. But no, she has two terrific scenes where we see the true Mrs Danvers, she is so polished, she goes for broke with these scenes and pulls it off. I can't think of the girl who plays the new bride but I had reservations about her as well, such a mousy thing but with a strong character not usually associated with this role. She won me over. Oh, and the guy who plays, uh, Jack Favell, is quite good as well. I certainly recommend this one.

Well, maybe one day soon, I'll get back to some of our TCM classics, it's about time. I have Dragonwyck coming from NetF. I have not seen it. It was not available on DVD for a long time but it is now here and NetF has it. Have you seen that one?

Laffite, who's had enough football for awhile...

> Hi Jackie, thanks! And since you are a co-winner I will oblige with a post something other than football (and most willingly, too), although I may hear you groaning

Not at all! I am so happy to hear from you - I thought I was the only one with a BBC fixation - and you keep coming up with play versions I have not seen, which is a plus. I keep adding them to my list.....

> Anthony is really great in Ibsen's A Doll House, although he makes his character maybe more sympathetic than he is supposed to. After all, the character is stodgy, arrogrant, and a bit shallow when it comes to certain matters and yet I feel almost more sorry for him that his wife at the end of the play. Claire Bloom understates her final scene and to great effect. She is wonderful here. I found my eyes on her whether she was talking or not. I say this not with reference to her beauty, but to her acting.

I would love to see a version of "A Doll's House" in which Torvald is NOT portrayed as a bit of a monster.... Nora is not one of my favorite characters, maybe because she is closer to my own personality (I always wanted to play Hedda instead, she is far more exciting), but I think it's time I took another look at her, from a more mature place in my life. I remember seeing a BBC version of Hedda Gabler with (?) Janet Suzman? I think, and it was such a great part - then when I was in college I kept getting cast as Thea in scene studies.... very disillusioning......Sadly, I would probably make a pretty good Nora.....

There was a version of A Doll's House with Juliet Stephenson that I would love to see - I really like Stephenson, she plays repressed, trod on characters so well......

> I had seen an earlier bbc production of another Ibsen play, "Little Eyolf," that is so bad IMO that not even AnthonyH nor Diana Rigg could save it. Charles Dance is in this one and has a dreary part that goes no where. It's hard to image Charles boring but it's not his fault. He is very young in this one.

I was not a big fan of Charles Dance until I saw "Bleak House". I think my dislike had nothing to do with his acting ability, and everything to do with the way he was marketed throughout his early career - he was presented as a sort of sex symbol for a while there. I could never quite see him that way, and always felt a cold aspect to his characters instead. I think he would be marvelous as Maxim, and I found him to be smoothly scary and sadistic as Tulkinghorn in BH.

> Speaking of Diana and Charles, I wonder if you've seen the Rebecca that was done about 10 years ago on PBS. I really liked it. Yes, this is a tired old story, we all know it by heart, still it can be a very interesting watch if for no other reason than to check out the acting. Charles Dance as Maxim has that towering presence that he seems to have developed especially as he aged and as we saw so readily in Bleak House (2005). When Diana Rigg made her entrance as Mrs Danvers, my first thought was, oh no, she's going to over do it. But no, she has two terrific scenes where we see the true Mrs Danvers, she is so polished, she goes for broke with these scenes and pulls it off. I can't think of the girl who plays the new bride but I had reservations about her as well, such a mousy thing but with a strong character not usually associated with this role. She won me over. Oh, and the guy who plays, uh, Jack Favell, is quite good as well. I certainly recommend this one.

I remember that one, but missed it. I do love Diana Rigg, so I am glad to hear that she didn't chew the scenery. It would be very tempting to go nuts, so to speak........

> Well, maybe one day soon, I'll get back to some of our TCM classics, it's about time. I have Dragonwyck coming from NetF. I have not seen it. It was not available on DVD for a long time but it is now here and NetF has it. Have you seen that one?

Oh, Lordy, I haven't seen Dragonwyck since I was about 12 year old..... Please give us a ramble when you do watch it.... I will have to add it to my list at NetF as well.....

> Laffite, who's had enough football for awhile...

Well, A Doll's House is about as far from football as you can get..... :) Thanks for the prompt post and don't be a stranger!

I love BBC productions too. I go all the way back to "Danger UXB" and "House of Cards." I've seen some of the period pieces but not too many. I also really like the "Prime Suspect" and "Cracker" series. One of the better recent films I saw was "The Lost Prince." It was the story of King George V's (I believe) brother, Prince John, who had some kind of epilepsy and was pretty much exiled to some home in the country to the point few knew he was around. Very effective.

"Moll Flanders" from the mid 1990's was also quite fun.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh, Lordy, I haven't seen Dragonwyck since I was about 12 year old..... Please give us a ramble when you do watch it.... I will have to add it to my list at NetF as well.....

>

I almost forgot I bought that DVD and haven't watched it yet! I'll get to watch it someday soon so I can ramble along with laffite. ;)

House of Cards was AWESOME! Witty, frightening, epic, suspenseful, timely, and tremendously fun! I am a big fan of first person narrative, and more to the point, characters talking to the camera. Sir Ian Richardson..... well, there is nothing to say that hasn't already been said of his great performance.....

I really liked The Lost Prince as well, though it seemed to be lost in the shuffle of Masterpiece Theatre remakes. It was a fascinating story told quietly and well.

As for the few other recent BBC dramas I have seen, none seems to compare to the earlier stuff.....