Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

hlywdkjk

My favorite opening sentences in all literature:

In all of literature, eh? I actually think of The Curse of the Cat People whenever "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is mentioned now.

I don't want a man, I want a border collie.

One of my favorites is Dwight Frye.

I know the Dwight Frye breed is a popular one with you.

What does that tell you about me? I like to catch flies and drink blood? (maybe yours)

My blood is violent, dumb, simple-minded, smelly, and dirty with a one-track mind. :P

Yes, in all of literature, you wanna make something of that?? Should I have quoted Shakespeare or something? Washington Irving is our first real "American" writer. He took macabre German folktales and transmuted them into our unique national literary heritage. I also love the quaint, antiquarian, and homely way he describes the joys of Christmas in some of his essays. Only people of great discernment, charm, humor, whimsy and grace appreciate him. So that leaves you out.

It's not your blood that's polluted; it's your brain. (Abby Normal)

I'm watching THE WORLD OF SUSIE WONG coming up next.

Nothing like Bill Holden, a beautiful score, and lovely views of Hong Kong, to clear the mind and relax the spirit.

You'll probably watch it for Nancy Kwan. She's a hooker with a heart of gold. Your type of woman.

I awoke at 6:00 a.m. (I'm still on Italy-time) and did a thousand different things already and I'm still not done. I thought I left everything in perfect order but somehow I had a loooong list of "to do's" awaiting me. I hope I can relax a little and enjoy some dolce fa niente this weekend.

No, I have never seen THE OSCAR but I have heard tales told of its epic tawdriness. I can't wait!

It's so weird not having TV.

I also loved Sophia with Clark in It Started in Naples. You can see he enjoyed the pasta in Italy as much as I did. ;)

Have you seen the one she did with Tab Hunter I think it was? I believe TCM will be showing it if they haven't already. It's quite interesting.

I caught bits and bobs of Desire Under the Elms, it was playing when I got home from the airport, just before the cable box died. I thought she seemed to be giving one of her really good, "low key" and realistic performances. She's got the goods in terms of talent as well as the body of life.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> We're having our usual awful summer thunderstorms down here, with the horror-movie lightning.

>

> I had never seen NORTH TO ALASKA before and wanted to watch my Duke, even on AMC. So I turn it on, and am enjoying it (he's lookin' real good, trim and youthful; must have gone on a diet beforehand) when all of a sudden -- BAM -- the power goes out on my t.v., just as the shaggy dog leaps into the tub with Capucine.

I have that one on dvd, it's funny and I like it better each time I see it. I think this is one of those he produced and wanted to use another star for his role and just remain behind the scenes but the financing or distribution wouldn't be agreed upon unless he was the star. Apparently a few of his productions turned out like that---he initially did not want to star in them but had to because his name would guarantee box office. I believe he and Capucine really have chemistry in a very Euro-Americano way. You'd think she'd have more chemistry with Stewart Granger but it really is not the case.

Wait till you see Duke with Sophia in Legend of the Lost if you haven't already! She also has more chemistry with him than, inexplicably, Rossano Brazzi.

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Good to see you back MissG, glad you had a nice trip! Now you can resume torturing Bad Boy Grimes in company of Bronxgirl. Even though he doesn't want to say it, he was really distraught in your absence.

>

> Barbara, please send some thunderstorms my way. I love them.

Thank you Metsie! You and Lady B seem to have had him well in hand. He's just fortunate that Sweet Tea wasn't around as much to give him the business, too---maybe she took pity on him. :D

Yes, in all of literature, you wanna make something of that?? Should I have quoted Shakespeare or something? Washington Irving is our first real "American" writer. He took macabre German folktales and transmuted them into our unique national literary heritage.

You're quite bitey, Bloodsucker. :)

What's there to make? I'm a voracious reader of nothing.

I also love the quaint, antiquarian, and homely way he describes the joys of Christmas in some of his essays. Only people of great discernment, charm, humor, whimsy and grace appreciate him. So that leaves you out.

Well, it certainly does. My discernment, charm, humor, whimsy, and grace is beyond great... topped with a humble cherry. :P

It's not your blood that's polluted; it's your brain. (Abby Normal)

:D Coop, Ford, and Garson films have polluted all of me.

I'm watching THE WORLD OF SUSIE WONG coming up next. Nothing like Bill Holden, a beautiful score, and lovely views of Hong Kong, to clear the mind and relax the spirit. You'll probably watch it for Nancy Kwan. She's a hooker with a heart of gold. Your type of woman.

I have never seen The World of Susie Wong, but for some reason I feel as if I'm familiar with some of it. :D No talk.

I will write a letter of introduction for you, to go away, for goodness sake.

I AM in a foul mood, aren't I?

These daily afternoon (and evening) thunderstorms are draining my good nature. I realize there's nothing to be done about them, so, I better shape up and keep smiling.

Yes, I loved that as well.

I had to take a cold shower thinking about Robert and Denise in that canyon together after she takes off on her horse and he comes after her.

I also like his double-take the first time he sees Hope Emerson, lol.

I will write a letter of introduction for you, to go away, for goodness sake.

Why so formal? Don't tell me you've lost your Bronx.

I AM in a foul mood, aren't I?

For you, yes. For, uh, "others," not really. Your foul mood is known as "sunshine" there.

These daily afternoon (and evening) thunderstorms are draining my good nature. I realize there's nothing to be done about them, so, I better shape up and keep smiling.

Heavy weather, eh? Hmmmmmm. So what movies do you suggest for stormy nights? How about steamy ones? How about stormy, steamy ones. :PPride and Prejudice?

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, I loved that as well.

>

> I had to take a cold shower thinking about Robert and Denise in that canyon together after she takes off on her horse and he comes after her.

>

> I also like his double-take the first time he sees Hope Emerson, lol.

I think I missed the double take at Hope! I really have to get this movie recorded, I've only seen it once from start-to-finish.

Formalities are so important in the Bronx:

"What are you considering doing this fine evening, Marty?"

"Oh, I haven't yet decided what I want to do this evening, Angelo"

"Shall we partake of a Michael Spillane reading? He is quite the literary genius".

Well, I'm about as far away from sunshine now as I can get, but I appreciate the compliment.

A good movie for a stormy night? ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD.

Formalities are so important in the Bronx:

"What are you considering doing this fine evening, Marty?"

"Oh, I haven't yet decided what I want to do this evening, Angelo"

"Shall we partake of a Michael Spillane reading? He is quite the literary genius".

That's my favorite scene! :D Nothing beats two chaps politely discussing the itinerary for the evening.

Well, I'm about as far away from sunshine now as I can get, but I appreciate the compliment.

It has been absolutely gorgeous here the past two days. Temps in the mid-70s with low humidity. It's going to warm up this weekend and there's a chance of thunderstorms. Do you know what thunderstorms are? :P

A good movie for a stormy night? ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD.

That's a Fall film for me. Any stormy spring-summery suggestions?

That's a Fall film for me. Any stormy spring-summery suggestions?

Interesting question and it made me think of some movies that have a spring/summer, caught-in-the-rain scene in them:

In Hide-Out, Robert Montgomery gleefully takes advantage of a sudden storm to hustle Maureen O'Sullivan into a lonely cabin for a make-out session---until she brings out the worst in him: his better nature. ;)

In Sunday in New York a sudden summer shower sends scrumptious Rod Taylor and virginal Jane Fonda up to her brother's apartment...alone.

Ann Baxter and Monty Clift take shelter in a summer house from the rain in Hitchcock's I Confess.

Holly Golightly realizes her true feelings in the pouring rain at the end of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

And Honey Bear takes a heart breaking walk in the steamy rain after what she sees on Vic's back porch in Mogambo.

Interesting question and it made me think of some movies that have a spring/summer, caught-in-the-rain scene in them:

Those are terrific choices. I'm struggling to think of any others. Maybe if I were to compose my thoughts. :P

iconfess3.jpg

breakfastattiffanys1.jpg

mogambo1.jpg

mogambo2.jpg

fortyguns3.jpg

mrandmrssmith1.jpg

quietman37.jpg