Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

hlywdkjk

Hey, Molo -- How've you been? Did you get those Gloria Grahame DVDs? I'm going to be ordering some Double G flicks from Deep Discount this weekend.

Something you wrote hit a chord with me.

FrankGrimes wrote: The loss of power is something I struggle with. I feel helpless when that happens. I need to learn how to "rough it" better.

I find myself getting more anxious as I get older. Literally losing the power to cope with things like power outages or extreme heat or cold. It's weird. I guess I feel trapped by the elements sometimes despite all the modern conveniences. I guess I fear losing control.

It does sound like the fear of losing control mixed with impatience. It's my impatience and the "not knowing" that bothers me. I'm a creature of comfort, which is a serious curse. It sounds as if you may also be a comfort creature.

Spring is still a hopeful time for me and autumn is peaceful and reflective. It's the extremes I don't like. I definitely need to learn how to rough it better.

That was wonderfully said. I always enjoy reading your words.

Everything points to summer for me. It's the child in me. Spring is the gateway to Summer, so I'm usually very excited during this time of the year. Fall can often be a downer for me because it's the end of Summer and dreaded Winter is around the corner. I do not like Winter, although I do enjoy snowfalls. The world seems alive with snow. It's the cold and darkness of Winter that I don't like.

And the more I think about it, the more I believe it's my childishness that drives me. I tend to look for the good in people more so than the bad, just like a child. I want to play and have fun and for others to do the same.

Hiya, Bad Seed -- No, but my words certainly read that way, do they not? There are some areas of my life where I like power but I'm mostly about deference. I will often place others before myself.

Ahhh, I see. It's good to know that if we ever find ourselves on a sinking ship, I can count on you to save me first.

First? You LOVE to jack the heat on me, don't you? I have a feeling pirates will rescue you at every turn.

I don't do too badly in outages, although here in the city proper, they are usually not of long duration. The only time it gets really bothersome is when the daylight starts to fade and I can't read anymore. Reading by candlelight is just too difficult.

I don't mind Summer power outages, it's the Winter ones that drive me batty. I feel as if I'm trapped without power in the Winter.

Oh noes! I hate it getting dark at four thirty in the afternoon, but I love digging out my cold weather jackets. I'm more of a sweater girl anyway, so I don't mind being bundled up. I'll agree with indoor heat.

No sweaters or sweats or jackets for me. It's too hot!

That sounds awfully romantic. Don't tell me trashy dames can be romantic.

But of course!

Ahhhh...

Someone asked me what I liked about Spring and I told them the mornings, because it just seemed like a nice spring morning held more promise. Autumn for me is just happy, I guess. I go to the Husky football games with my Dad, something I've been doing since I was about six. Halloween is coming and that's my favorite. I do a lot of baking for friends and then the house smells good. I have friends over more and that creates a cozy little barrier against the cold and dark. I start thinking about how to cook the Thanksgiving bird, and hope that maybe Detroit will win this year so my father won't be bummed out (a common occurence ) It's all good stuff.

Football and baking? What a sweet little picture you just painted. Are you sure you're a trashy dame? I never knew trashy dames could be so nice.

I'm a Cowboys fan, so I know the feeling of "bummed out" Thanksgivings. Not nearly as much as a Lions fan, though. ;)

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Frank and Miss G.

>

> My landlady suddenly died the other day, I don't know now who will be the owner of my apartment, and I started jury duty today.

>

> But on the plus side, we didn't have any thunderstorms today.

>

> I'm a little discombobulated now, but, hey.....

>

> that's life...

My goodness! I'm sorry about that. That's a lot to have on your plate (especially with no french fries on the side). I hope you can still come on here in the evenings and that everything transitions smoothly with your apartment and that your next landlady is as nice, or better, than the last.

Good Evening, Little Mermaid! -- My landlady suddenly died the other day, I don't know now who will be the owner of my apartment, and I started jury duty today.

Now that's a very hectic day, Barb. I hope you treated yourself to something tasty to eat.

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your landlady. I know you have shared a few stories about her on the board.

How was your first day of jury duty? Have you ever served before? I served on a criminal case last September. The jury pool room is B-O-R-I-N-G. It's much better to get on a jury.

But on the plus side, we didn't have any thunderstorms today.

That's a small consolation, but still a nice one. I hope you relax this evening.

I'm a little discombobulated now, but, hey.....that's life...

I'm around if you want to fool around.

Thanks, Miss G.; I actually had french fries during my lunch break today.

And so it shouldn't be a total loss (although I think tomorrow it may all be over, hopefully) the two attorneys are cute in their own ways -- one is tiny and looks like Chris O'Donnell, the D.A. is tall, rangy, laconic, and reminds me of Peter Coyote.

I never knew my landlady was that sick; she was very independent and didn't want anyone to know the extent of her illnesses. She may have left my apartment to her great niece who lives in Ireland (mmm, maybe that's a lucky sign for me....) who's flying out of Dublin tomorrow to confer with the lawyers; they have to sort it all out. So who knows...my lease is up in November, but I just may go back to Chicago and get my four seasons. I have some big decisions to make very soon.

It would be nice going back to the Windy City at the start of September and that beautiful autumn!

*First? You LOVE to jack the heat on me, don't you? I have a feeling pirates will rescue you at every turn.*

A. Yes.

B. Yes.

C. I have to admit, if pirates took over the ship and at least one of them looked anything like Errol Flynn, I'd volunteer for kidnapping.

*I never knew trashy dames could be so nice.* I am many things. :)

*Not nearly as much as a Lions fan, though* Oh my god, tell me about it. If we go to someone's house for Thanksgiving, we can't leave until half time (hence, the destination cannot be longer than a half hour in any direction). If he comes to my place, the game has to be on as he's walking in and I'm not allowed to touch the remote until the game is over and then only temporarily because the Cowboys game is on right after that. Poor guy doesn't even catch a break in the summer-he's a lifelong Indians fan too. Still, I admire his dedication.

YOu have a lot to think about Bronxie! I hope whatever you decide makes you happy. I know how much you want to experience seasons again, so maybe going back north is the answer. What about Maine, though? Is that totally out? Or Cape Cod? Remember Gull Cottage.

And I hope the new Irish landlady is a peach to you.

As for the lawyers, I saw go for the Peter Coyote one. And remember to check the third finger,

left hand first. ;)

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Thanks, Scottie. I immediately ordered a pizza when I got home and just polished off a chocolate shake right now.

My landlady was quite a character. She looked like Ethel Merman's sister and loved giving me her leftover tabloid magazines. (she'd leave them at my doorstep) She had a cackle that could curl your hair. Her husband died a few years ago and I don't think she had many friends. Her one joy was playing bingo every night. She originally was from New York and always wanted to return because she loved the four seasons, so that was something we had in common, but at her age, I knew she'd remain in Florida. A lot of the seniors are nostalgic for up North, but invariably they find it difficult going back, for many reasons.

She was a scrapper and a fighter and had a temper, but always apologized quickly. I still can't believe she's gone.

This is my first time with jury duty. While we were waiting in the pool room (looked like a movie theatre, with comfortable seats; all that was missing was the popcorn) we saw a movie with Kevin Kostner, as if we needed more encouragement to fall asleep. The Palm Beach County courthouse is very pretty, and everyone is friendly and helpful. Lots of restaurants (I know, I WOULD think of that) within walking distance, and lunch is an hour and a half.

I'm on a criminal case; we'll probably deliberate tomorrow.

I hope I don't run into Screechy Lee J. Cobb.

It's nice to know a fool is around.

Thank you, Goddess. Maine holds a special place in my heart but I'm still building my nest egg for my own version of Gull Cottage up there.

Chicago is better for my social life. (I'm still trying to avoid the 90 year old in my laundry room) Did I tell you he wears his socks up to his neck? And why do all these decrepit men have LONG ARMS, down to their toes? The more they age, their arms elongate. I've never seen the like.

But I'm getting nauseous thinking about this.

Or maybe it's the garlic pizza and chocolate shake.

I'm particularly fond of Peter Coyote in CROSS CREEK (he's a Florida hotel owner).

I don't know what the Irish niece will do regarding my apartment and the one next door (my landlady owned the two). I'll find out soon enough though.

A. Yes.

B. Yes.

C. I have to admit, if pirates took over the ship and at least one of them looked anything like Errol Flynn, I'd volunteer for kidnapping.

Why did I know that a girl was not going to dish out three "yeses" in a row? :)

I never knew trashy dames could be so nice.

I am many things.

I'm finding this out. You're taking "trashy" to an interesting place.

Not nearly as much as a Lions fan, though

Oh my god, tell me about it. If we go to someone's house for Thanksgiving, we can't leave until half time (hence, the destination cannot be longer than a half hour in any direction). If he comes to my place, the game has to be on as he's walking in and I'm not allowed to touch the remote until the game is over and then only temporarily because the Cowboys game is on right after that. Poor guy doesn't even catch a break in the summer-he's a lifelong Indians fan too. Still, I admire his dedication.

Your dad sounds awesome. He's definitely my kinda guy. I've got him beat in baseball misery, I'm a Pirates fan. There's not too many Errol Flynns in Pittsburgh. ;)

First we saw an IMAX ecological thing about the oceans, narrated by Meryl Streep, very soothing, water and fishies....

Then came Mr. Sominex in THE GUARDIAN. And astoundingly, more water...(swimming teams)

We were all unconscious by then.

These two lawyers are gold band-less.

But all I get are the old codgers with hair in their ears and noses.

Hell, in Chicago I was dating guys 25 years younger than myself.

Florida has a lot of single men, but they're mainly the plastic gold chain variety or the geriatric ones with the long ape-like arms.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Thanks, Scottie. I immediately ordered a pizza when I got home and just polished off a chocolate shake right now.

Now that's the perfect answer to a hectic day. Would you like me to put on an apron for you, Hallie? :P

My landlady was quite a character. She looked like Ethel Merman's sister and loved giving me her leftover tabloid magazines. (she'd leave them at my doorstep) She had a cackle that could curl your hair. Her husband died a few years ago and I don't think she had many friends. Her one joy was playing bingo every night. She originally was from New York and always wanted to return because she loved the four seasons, so that was something we had in common, but at her age, I knew she'd remain in Florida. A lot of the seniors are nostalgic for up North, but invariably they find it difficult going back, for many reasons. She was a scrapper and a fighter and had a temper, but always apologized quickly. I still can't believe she's gone.

That was rather beautiful, Barb. It was sincere and appreciative. You really are a people person.

This is my first time with jury duty. While we were waiting in the pool room (looked like a movie theatre, with comfortable seats; all that was missing was the popcorn) we saw a movie with Kevin Kostner, as if we needed more encouragement to fall asleep. The Palm Beach County courthouse is very pretty, and everyone is friendly and helpful. Lots of restaurants (I know, I WOULD think of that) within walking distance, and lunch is an hour and a half.

It goes without saying, Palm Beach is a lot finer than Harrisburg.

I'm on a criminal case; we'll probably deliberate tomorrow.

The jury I was on deliberated the following morning after testimony. It was 11-1 to acquit to start and it only took about 15 minutes to convince the lone holdout. I think we spent about 45 minutes talking everything out and BSing a little. :)

I hope I don't run into Screechy Lee J. Cobb.

"You're a sadist!" Those words would pep up a jury room, to be sure.

It's nice to know a fool is around.

;)

*Your dad sounds awesome.*

He's a cool kid. He just retired last January and decided to fulfill a dream he had of hiking the Appalachian Trail. This time around it got the better of him, so he decided to take another year and go back out next April when he's in (even) better condition.

*I've got him beat in baseball misery, I'm a Pirates fan.* He also follows the Pirates, although not as closely. :)

"...we have his hands in shackles, yes we do!" - BSG

Sounds like "Chains We Can Believe In".

with apologies to Obama "08

You're rotten!

It looks like I'm gonna have to pull a Houdini to save Minya when the boat sinks. But knowing that girl, I'll end up escaping the shackles only to have her shove me overboard for a pirate. Dames. Trashy dames. Trashy dames who go to football games and bake.

Your dad sounds awesome.

He's a cool kid. He just retired last January and decided to fulfill a dream he had of hiking the Appalachian Trail. This time around it got the better of him, so he decided to take another year and go back out next April when he's in (even) better condition.

I like that you called him a "cool kid." So why didn't his coolness rub off on you any? :P

I've got him beat in baseball misery, I'm a Pirates fan.

He also follows the Pirates, although not as closely.

That's more than actual Pirate fans do.

You could always join the pirate crew and then it becomes a moot point, doesn't it? :)

Must I remind you AGAIN that I'm a gentleman? Can there be a gentleman pirate? Hey, if a trashy dame can be sweet, I guess it's possible.

*So why didn't his coolness rub off on you any?*

I changed my mind. Ye're walkin' the plank, matey! And ye'll be takin' no rum with ye neither!

*Must I remind you AGAIN that I'm a gentleman?*

I'm afraid so, because so many of our exchanges contradict that statement. :| (That's the emoticon for a stern look)

I changed my mind.

Is Minya a girl? Check!

Ye're walkin' the plank, matey! And ye'll be takin' no rum with ye neither!

Is that Seattlese for, "Thank you, kind gentleman. Care to go for a stroll?"?

Must I remind you AGAIN that I'm a gentleman?

I'm afraid so, because so many of our exchanges contradict that statement. (That's the emoticon for a stern look)

If I show you the roses will you follow?

*Is that Seattlese for, "Thank you, kind gentleman. Care to go for a stroll?"?*

Mmmmaybe. If we can reinstate the rum.

*If I show you the roses will you follow?*

Only if you leave the rocks behind.

And I will take the higher ground and pointedly ignore the 'girl changing mind' comment. Ahem.

Is that Seattlese for, "Thank you, kind gentleman. Care to go for a stroll?"?

Mmmmaybe. If we can reinstate the rum.

Ohh, so you have to be tipsy or tanked, is that it?

If I show you the roses will you follow?

Only if you leave the rocks behind.

Are you telling me beauty can live?

And I will take the higher ground and pointedly ignore the 'girl changing mind' comment. Ahem.

This higher ground you speak of, is it on the Appalachian Trail? :)

*Ohh, so you have to be tipsy or tanked, is that it?*

Alls I'm saying is that rum is delicious and good for you.

*Are you telling me beauty can live?*

Just because I love Nick Cave murder ballads doesn't mean I want to be the subject of one. :)

*This higher ground you speak of, is it on the Appalachian Trail?*

Smartypants.

Ohh, so you have to be tipsy or tanked, is that it?

Alls I'm saying is that rum is delicious and good for you.

Now I know why the pirates room is the bathroom, Rummy. :P

Just because I love Nick Cave murder ballads doesn't mean I want to be the subject of one.

Party pooper. You take all the fun out of rocks and roses.

This higher ground you speak of, is it on the Appalachian Trail?

Smartypants.

Poopypants.