Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Oh, faith! Lady B I'm so happy for you and your new Iriish connection. I hope you are planning

that trip. They are a kind and hospitable people so I'm not a bit surprised things went well.

Hi there, Metsie, always glad to see you. I may be able to stick around tonight for

a change, come one, come all.

Good morning, Trashy -- Oh no! Now there's going to be more talkin' in those back rooms you mentioned before.

Yes, the locker room is loving you and your "effect." :D

How'd your party go? Did the pirates misbehave? I hope so.

Hi, Sunshine! :P -- Whenever one needs a good laugh this forum never fails. Thanks to all!

Don't tell me you actually laugh. :) Hold on a second. I think I know why you laugh. It's the word "torture" that makes you giddy. You are evil, Miss Pink Hearts Full of Love. :x

Haileo, Bronx Lass -- Frank, I know you'll forgive me for not talking to you today as I said I would with the continuing astrology lesson and your chart, but I was spending time with my new Irish landlady this evening. (see my post to Miss G) and now I'm sleepy, because now I CAN sleep, feeling a bit relieved that I can renew my lease here and be miserably hot for yet ANOTHER year, lol. (with occasional visits to Chicago, so I won't go completely mad in this relentless heat)

I'm very patient when it comes to you, B. It's good to hear you now have peace of mind with your living accomodations, but I do hope you get to Chicago. I think you'll really come to life in the Windy City.

See you tomorrow!

I hope so!

Ciao, Miss G -- I may be able to stick around tonight for a change,

"May"? I like that. I may watch a movie and I may write about it then. :D

come one, come all.

What kind of parties do you throw? The locker room already knows all 'bout you. :P :p :P

come one, come all.

What kind of parties do you throw? The locker room already knows all 'bout you

What kind of parties? FUN

"See what the boys in the back room will have and tell them I'm having the same...."

You'll have to watch a classic movie to figure who and what that refers to. :P

What kind of parties? FUN

How can that be? You're there. :P :p

"See what the boys in the back room will have and tell them I'm having the same...."

You'll have to watch a classic movie to figure who and what that refers to.

I'm guessing you are quoting yourself, La Goddess.

*How'd your party go? Did the pirates misbehave? I hope so.*

I'm sorry to disappoint-they were all pretty well behaved. They had to be-it was all of my old coworkers commandeering my house for their end of the fiscal year chili cookoff. I rent out the upper level of a house owned by another former coworker and he informed me that he had volunteered the house for the party right before he left for vacation. In a normal situation that would be grounds for strong annoyance, but I love to entertain and I basically didn't have to worry about anything other than having a clean house. And I still got all the accolades for being a good hostess. Yays!

I'm sorry to disappoint

I'm used to that. :P

they were all pretty well behaved.

They just don't make pirates like they used to.

They had to be-it was all of my old coworkers commandeering my house for their end of the fiscal year chili cookoff. I rent out the upper level of a house owned by another former coworker and he informed me that he had volunteered the house for the party right before he left for vacation. In a normal situation that would be grounds for strong annoyance, but I love to entertain and I basically didn't have to worry about anything other than having a clean house. And I still got all the accolades for being a good hostess. Yays!

I'm sure you're a terrific hostess, Minya. So how many bowls of chili did you eat? Any dessert? Mood music?

*So how many bowls of chili did you eat? Any dessert? Mood music?*

I had two bowls of chili- one was called five way chili and it was served over spaghetti noodles(!) and the other had almost a chowder type consistency and it had chicken in it. It wasn't red. I don't really know another way to describe it, except to day that it was delicious and not too hot. That's a good thing, because I'm afraid my tolerance for hot food is really low. I have such a boring palate. I didn't eat any dessert because I was too full of chili. :)

You know, I almost always have big band/swing music on in the background when I have friends over. I really love listening to it and I find that there are very few occasions where it doesn't seem to fit the mood of the party.

OK, Frank, since you are in such a good mood...must be the beer and chili. I am going to ask you whether you watched Love or Grand Hotel....I am holding my breath as I wait for your answer, hoping not to be disappointed...since I have some very easy trivia questions to see if really you did....

Your Friend, : )

Annie Laurie (of Irish/Sicilian descent)

Hiya, Miss Desired Effect -- I had two bowls of chili

Two? Excellent!

one was called five way chili and it was served over spaghetti noodles(!) and the other had almost a chowder type consistency and it had chicken in it. It wasn't red. I don't really know another way to describe it, except to day that it was delicious and not too hot.

Those sound interesting. But, of course, I wouldn't have tried either one. I'm too boring and non-adventurous. Chowder is a no-no with me. Milk-based stuff turns me off... most of the time.

That's a good thing, because I'm afraid my tolerance for hot food is really low. I have such a boring palate.

I'm not into hot stuff, either. It's too much. You can't outboring me.

I didn't eat any dessert because I was too full of chili.

Okay, you get a pass with that one.

You know, I almost always have big band/swing music on in the background when I have friends over. I really love listening to it and I find that there are very few occasions where it doesn't seem to fit the mood of the party.

Believe it or not, I can go for that. I find such music to be just right for background music at a low-key social gathering. It's very soothing and, well, in the background.

Hey there, Annie Laurie -- OK, Frank, since you are in such a good mood

Now when am I not?

must be the beer and chili.

:D My stomach is burnin' at the thought.

I am going to ask you whether you watched Love or Grand Hotel....I am holding my breath as I wait for your answer, hoping not to be disappointed

No, I have not. I did tape Love. I can't remember if I taped Grand Hotel or not. I'll have to check on that one.

since I have some very easy trivia questions to see if really you did

No need to test me yet... yet.

Your Friend, : )

:) I have a feeling I'm gonna need a few very soon.

(of Irish/Sicilian descent)

Wow! What a mix! Talk about fire. You must be a handful. That's a good thing.

*They just don't make pirates like they used to.*

Tell me about it. I'm a living example. ;)

I'm eavesdropping on you and Minya. Hope you don't mind.

Frank, I remember reading that you came to classic movies because you wanted to get away from sports, or something like that. I found that interesting and wanted to ask about it. Were (are) you a sports fan, or are (were) you a participant of a sport or other. Just curious. (I don't participate myself, but I have been lately an often dissaffected fan and a sometime frustrated sports fan as well.)

It was a very good time, but now I'm feeling the after effects of staying up too late the night before and the pleasure of good food and good company. I'm very sleepy and I still have to go a show tonight, and the main band probably won't even take the stage until 11. I hope I wake up a little before then. :)

*I'm eavesdropping on you and Minya. Hope you don't mind.* I can't speak for Mr. Grimes, but I don;t mind. :)

* (I don't participate myself, but I have been lately an often disaffected fan and sometime frustrated sports fan as well.)* Try living in Seattle! :)

Bon apr?s-midi, Laffite -- They just don't make pirates like they used to.

Tell me about it. I'm a living example. ;)

Ohh, I don't know about that. No stealin' of hearts?

I'm eavesdropping on you and Minya. Hope you don't mind.

Yes, I mind! You're not supposed to be eavesdropping. You're supposed to be partaking. You already know how much of a pain I am, and you will soon learn that Minya is even worse than me. Don't let her shy ways fool you, Matey. She's always up to no good. You should be in much better standing with her than me, though. Her bathroom is full of pirates. :)

Frank, I remember reading that you came to classic movies because you wanted to get away from sports, or something like that.

Very good! You are paying attention around here.

Were (are) you a sports fan, or are (were) you a participant of a sport or other. Just curious.

Sports has consumed most of my life. I have followed sports since I was about six years old and I have done so very closely. This is the primary reason why I have seen so few movies compared to most on this board. Movies have been a great passion for others whereas sports has been my great passion. So whenever I say I'm a very inexperienced classic film viewer, I do speak the truth. This makes the classic film world new and fresh to me, which is to my great benefit. I can sense the joy others actually have in knowing I'm new to their world. They want to share the world they love with me. I do appreciate such a feeling.

What I have learned in my year's time on this board is that despite my limited knowledge in classic film, I do possess pockets of knowledge that are underrepresented here. I generally focus on directors and most of the board does not. I'm also a fan of German Expressionism to which there are so few here. Film noir has its fans here, but it's still very much in the minority.

But what I often end up doing is gravitating towards others and their likes compared to sticking to my own. I'd rather lavish others with my attention versus attempting to have others like my interests. Contrary to what some may believe -- KYLE :P -- I'm very willing to step outside my world of favorites.

I'm a sports fan not an athlete, although I've always been very athletic. I can play baseball, football, basketball, street hockey (I can't skate), and some tennis. My baseball knowledge up to early last season was exceptional. I then hit the burnout stage and I sought refuge... here. I'm "casually" following the sport now versus knowing all there is to know, which was the level I had been at for a long time. I know what teams are doing and which players are hot and cold but my current knowledge is more shallow than deep. I knew far, far more before. I could hang with anyone.

My favorite sports:

1. Baseball (Pirates)

2. Hockey (Flyers)

3. Pro Basketball (Trail Blazers)

4. Pro Football (Cowboys)

5. College Basketball (Houston)

6. College Football (Pitt)

I did "watch" the NBA Draft last night. I say "watch" because I talked on the phone for about two and half hours while it was on. My Blazers do know how to make deals and draft. I'm very happy with the direction of the team and I'm extremely excited for the upcoming season. I'm even more excited for the Cowboys' season ahead and I think Pitt could be headed for a very good season.

(I don't participate myself, but I have been lately an often dissaffected fan and a sometime frustrated sports fan as well.)

That's rather mysterious. How do you mean? What are your favorite sports and teams?

*It's very soothing and, well, in the background.*

I actually have Moonlight Serenade as my ringtone. It used to be the theme to Nightmare Before Christmas, but I decided to save that for October. :)

Ha ha! Except that I totally already replied graciously so lafitte knows that I'm nice and you're not.

I just totally scored one off you, my friend. You have been totally served. Word.

Bad day, Sally! -- It was a very good time, but now I'm feeling the after effects of staying up too late the night before and the pleasure of good food and good company. I'm very sleepy and I still have to go a show tonight, and the main band probably won't even take the stage until 11. I hope I wake up a little before then.

I'm sure the band will cause you to stir. What in the world were you doing up so late the night before? :P

I can't speak for Mr. Grimes

Thank goodness because my exceptional taste would really plummet if you could. I have such high standards that must be upheld. :P

Ha ha! Except that I totally already replied graciously so lafitte knows that I'm nice and you're not.

Here's the wool, Laffite. Watch your eyes.

I just totally scored one off you, my friend. You have been totally served. Word.

:P

I actually have Moonlight Serenade as my ringtone.

Somebody is romantic. So who's standing at your gate this June night?

It used to be the theme to Nightmare Before Christmas, but I decided to save that for October.

You're such a seasonal sap. :)

*Somebody is romantic. So who's standing at your gate this June night?*

Hopefully no one scary.

*You're such a seasonal sap.*

It's true. Halloween is my favorite holiday, but I like Christmas and it just gets shoved on you so early-there's a reason people hate it. So I avoid all mentions of it until at least October.

Message was edited by: Minya

Somebody is romantic. So who's standing at your gate this June night?

Hopefully no one scary.

That eliminates me. :P I'm sure Jack Skellington would make your roses sigh a Moonlight Serenade.

You're such a seasonal sap.

It's true. Halloween is my favorite holiday, but I like Christmas and it just gets shoved on you so early-there's a reason people hate it. So I avoid all mentions of it until at least October.

No Christmas in July for you?

I'm b-a-a-a-a-c-k.

Hide your donuts.

Thank you, Goddess, for your interest and concern; I'm quite touched. I can breathe a bit easier now. Ideally, I want a month in Scotland and one in Ireland, so I better start being vigilent about coupon-cutting at the supermarket.

It's true we all see people like the garish 300 pound woman squeezed into her Victoria Beckham swimsuit with the unmentionable nether region exposed.

But Mrs. Sausage and Mr. Ape-Arms live in my building, and I am exposed to their hideousness every week in the elevator as they go down to sit by the pool.

I appreciate the compliment about a column, but think how many people I'd tick off, telling it like it is about the insanity of the Sunshine State.

For instance, here is a Stupid Florida Person story. Guy gets plastered, decides to swim across a canal in the dead of night, despite the pleas of his friends not to attempt such a ridiculous feat. He ignores them, dives in, and immediately an alligator munches off his arm. This clown then tells reporters that the GATORS are a nuisance creature.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

She's baaaack! :)

So that SFP (stupid Florida person) had a bad attack of GATOR ARM! I must confess your

story made me giggle even though it's terrible. But blaming the poor hungry alligator is

shameful.

In other words, drunks should be allowed to fall into canals with impunity. Nice.

I'm sorry about your neighbors, but at least Mr Gator Arm isn't one of them. Maybe you

could give them long sleeved bathing suits for presents and tell them they are the latest

in SPF protection.

*Hopefully no one scary.*

I meant like axe murderer scary. Or someone who watches Bill O'Reilly scary.

*That eliminates me. I'm sure Jack Skellington would make your roses sigh a Moonlight Serenade.*

You could dress up like Jack Skellington(I would also accept a pirate costume) and sing me songs from the movie. But no rocks.

*No Christmas in July for you?*

When I rule the world, one of the many things I will do is make it illegal for retailers to display anything even remotely Christmasy before October 31st. Failure to abide by this rule will...ummm, well whatever punishment I devise, it will be pretty bad. And it probably involve spiders or something. Yeah, spiders are bad.

'ello, 'ello, 'ello! Here, what's all this then?

(don't ask me why I'm talking Cockney; I have no idea)

You might be pleased to hear that the family I told you would appear late in life, and which you doubt, is a ready-made one; no fruit from your loins will appear on this earth. (and we're all breathing a sigh of relief over THAT)

You can be a terrible spendthrift, but my assessment of your work ethic still stands, despite your guffaws. Let's just say that you ADMIRE workaholics, even if you're not one. You are not a couch potato, so don't make me think you are.

Now, Venus in a man's chart represents what sort of woman he's attracted to. GG is a Sun Sagittarius, and you're drawn to her fiery independent, down-to-earth yet haughty, spitfire nature. She appreciates a sports-loving manly man, but likes to dominate the relationship. And she loves to spend money. Yours. You want to protect her but can occasionally be condescending and chauvinistic. It won't work, so forget about it.

The Sun represents the self, the conscious mind. The Moon is our emotional response to the world. You are a Sun Virgo: modest, thrifty (some of the time), critical, semi-repressed, occasionally eccentric, and many times an old stick in the mud. However, your Moon is in Libra, so you react analytically and rationally to situations around you. Now, not knowing your Ascendant (when are you going to give me this info from your mother or birth certificate, huh? huh? Not that I'm pressing or anything) a Virgo Sun with a Libra Moon creates a very well-balanced individual, fair-minded and even-tempered, and you will be this, but your Ascendant (also called the Rising sign if you remember) can modify these natal traits. For instance, you could be a double Virgo (if I discover your Ascendant is also Virgo) in which case toward the end of your life you'll probably be a bachelor converted to vegetarianism, growing a beard and living like Ewell Gibbons, eating fruits and nuts in a forest and communing with the squirrels.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

*For instance, you could be a double Virgo (if I discover your Ascendant is also Virgo) in which case toward the end of your life you'll probably be a bachelor converted to vegetarianism, growing a beard and living like Ewell Gibbons, eating fruits and nuts in a forest and communing with the squirrels.*

No, stop!! It hurts!!! The laughing!! Ohhh, the laughing!!!!

*You might be pleased to hear that the family I told you would appear late in life, and which you doubt, is a ready-made one*

I wonder if it will be a family of squirrels?