Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

*I once had one of those dreams where you wake up (and it seems like your really awake),*

I deal with sleep paralysis sometimes and it's like that, except that you are awake and aware on a level. It's pretty creepy.

The weird dreams I have always deal with me in a dark room and not being able to turn on the light.

Well, I'm not a real psychiatrist, I only play one on the boards, lol.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you and your parents are close. Sorry to hear you come from a divorced household. My father had a bad heart, but my brother and I weren't close to him, unfortunately. And there are so many unresolved issues, and no closure...

Watching "Wide World of Sports" when I was a teenager somewhat bonded our family (but not much). I heard that Jim McKay died recently; it seemed that part of my childhood went with him.

It seems my mother didn't pick good "stock" when she met my father; apparently he did have a weak heart.

Nobody has the perfect family.

If trying to dredge up the memory of a nightmare is too traumatic for you even now, I won't ask you to remember. (ours are weird enough; can you imagine me with Moe Howard??)

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Hi Lady B,

I'd love to have my dreams "analyzed" I think it's fascinating. I will try to remember my next nightmare, lol.

And I have to admit The Aristocats is my favorite of the Disney animated features for obvious reasons. The mamma of the kittens was so tiny, delicate and "feminine" I think she and

Eva could be twins. :D She also had all those kittens from DIFFERENT husbands...another

thing in common.

*Theresa: at least your peanut dream dream didnt consist of MY melody!*

*Okay we're even. I dreamed about Melody Jones and you dreamed about Will Kane. Now you better leave my Will alone .*

first you steal MY melody, then you try to steal my sailors at the capitol, and you expect me not to steal your will cane anymore? ha! heehee! hey he looked really handsome in his little will cane outfit in my last dream in the field of poppies. at least he kissed me and we werent in an airport. heehee! okay, okay, i guess were even....maybe. ;)

*All your nightmares are due to watching those horrifying Greer and Coop movies. I suggest you not watch them anymore.*

youre darn tootin', ill watch them again! they satisfy my hunger for excitement and mushy romance, so there! i stick my tongue out at you. heehee!

*And you know darn well I'm not the one in your dreams since you dream of dances and weddings. I won't go near those.*

i dont ALWAYS dream of dances and weddings! honestly you wedding crasher! i think you love going to dances and weddings, except when me and gene and gloria show up in our long black gloves. heehee!

*Her give up and surrender? Ha!*

did we ask for a chuckle from the peanut gallery? no!! heehee! ;)

Gosh, you folks are good dreamers. Such protracted narratives and with movie stars that not only appear in them but come back to appear again. That?s amazing to me.

My dreams are murky and hard to remember. Often they are mere fragments. Or I?ll wake up with an aura of something dreamed but there are no words to describe it. Or there will be events remembered but for some reasons words don?t come. Sometime in this latter case I?ll think of them as surreal, but I?m just flattering myself because it sounds sort of sophisticated but actually it is just another unremembered dream.

The only dream with a movie star that I can remember at the moment occurred recently. A very simple dream. I?m sitting at a desk in a room. Marilyn Monroe comes in the room, walks over to me, and kisses me about 20 times all over my face. It was very wholesome and sweet. Rather pleasant, need I say.

I woke up and was so amused. I?m thinking to myself, I really experienced that?in a way. Vicarious living or wakeful daydreaming is one thing?but dreams at night while sleeping is something entirely else. I wake up and say, it was only a dream, but unless it was one of those rare occurrences (at least for me) when I know I?m dreaming, the actual dreaming seems real experience at the time, i.e., during sleep.

Of course, it?s not real experience, but the vividness of dreams give us the sense that it is, at least for awhile. I wonder if Marilyn will come back. I doubt it. :(

*Coopsgirl:* Some of your sports comments and especially your use of "gut wrenching" to describe how you felt when a favorite team went down to defeat certainly qualifies you as a passionate sports fan. Casual observors or fair weather fans don't use language like that...and you appear to know quite a bit.

*Minya*: The news broke today that the basketball team is moving out. How does this go down for you? Is there life in Seattle post Sonics?

*Bronxgirl:* You said something to the effect that all you know about sports is Tinkers to Evers to Chance. There is a joke or anecdote that ends with something like, "Well, I guess I will tinker for ever with chance." Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps) I don't remember anything that came before. :( Maybe someone knows that one.

*Minya: The news broke today that the basketball team is moving out. How does this go down for you? Is there life in Seattle post Sonics?*

Hi laffite!

I feel mixed about this. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not majorly into pro-basketball because most of the time I see a bunch of overpaid thugs calling it in every week and then whining about not getting any respect when they make more in one year than most of the people who come to see them play will see in a lifetime. I think it's the idealist in me butting heads with the pragmatist who understands that it's a business as most major league sports are. I know a lot of people who love the Sonics-hell, when I was a kid I went with my dad to SeaTac airport to see them in when they won the championship. They let us out on the tarmac if you can believe that! :) I have three distinct memories from that day-a guy who had cut a hole in a basketball and was wearing it on his head, a woman wearing a shirt that said "The fat lady has sung" (I had to ask my dad about that) and lastly, falling asleep on my dad's shoulders shortly after the team exited the plane. What can I tell you-it was very warm that day. :)

Anyway, I feel bad for the local fans who went to the games even as the team continued to stink it up-they are the biggest losers in this whole mess. If the team had stayed and Clay Bennett had gotten his new stadium, they would have been priced out a little more every year because all anyone was interested in was creating more luxury boxes. How much cachet a Sonics game would have even for the growing nouveau riche in Seattle I don't know. I can also see it from the side of the folks who were feeling like "We have had to close schools around here because they were underfunded, and you want us to pay how much for an arena that was just remodeled 10 years ago and that we're still paying for?". The previous agreement was so badly written I can't think how it was ever okayed. It pretty much read like-you pay for everything and we keep all the revenue.

Anyway, it wasn't a surprise-while I didn't see the city caving even before the judge delivered a verdict, I figured Seattle would probably lose. I think the city messed up AND I think Clay Bennett is a liar and a jerk, so there's blame to go around. One of the things that bothers me is the number of people who somehow think it's the fault of the people of OKC-I've seen some awfully nasty messages on the message boards for the two major papers. They don't seem to understand that they just want a team like we do. I feel kind of bad for them-it seems pretty likely that a few years down the road Bennett or whoever owns them then will run a similar extortion against OKC. I guess it wouldn't bother me quite so much if Bennett really loved the game and just didn't see a future here for the team, but it was just a business venture and the fans here were just bugs to be squashed for daring to get in his way and question his motives.

Wow, I had more to say about it than I thought! It's not going to affect me that much-I didn't pay that much attention to the Sonics, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I might enjoy a bit of schenfreude if they continue to go down the drain like they were doing here.

Is there life after the Sonics? We'll see-I think we've pretty much been rooked. The agreement as I understand it is 45 million now (how much of that will be left after the lawyers are paid off, I don't know) and 30 million in five years if we don't have another team. I understand David Stern (a very bad sort of person) doesn't see an expansion team in Seattle's future any time soon. At least we've procured a major league soccer team? :) Now *that* I would feel okay paying money for.

*I know a lot of people who love the Sonics-hell, when I was a kid I went with my dad to SeaTac airport to see them in when they won the championship. They let us out on the tarmac if you can believe that! I have three distinct memories from that day-a guy who had cut a hole in a basketball and was wearing it on his head, a woman wearing a shirt that said "The fat lady has sung" (I had to ask my dad about that) and lastly, falling asleep on my dad's shoulders shortly after the team exited the plane. What can I tell you-it was very warm that day*.

Nice story. You have a little personal history there to hold on to.

*Anyway, I feel bad for the local fans who went to the games even as the team continued to stink it up-they are the biggest losers in this whole mess.*

Alway the biggest losers, it seems. I'm sure there are many die-hard fans who are sick about it.

*I can also see it from the side of the folks who were feeling like "We have had to close schools around here because they were underfunded, and you want us to pay how much for an arena that was just remodeled 10 years ago and that we're still paying for?". The previous agreement was so badly written I can't think how it was ever okayed. It pretty much read like-you pay for everything and we keep all the revenue.*

Spanos wants a new stadium for the Chargers but he doesn't want to pay for it himself. I know the costs are great but there is a lot of money in professional sports. They want the fans to pay and then it's not as if they are going to get such a good deal when they go to the game. I don't know the whole story on this issue but I'm skeptical that the fans should have to bear the brunt.

*One of the things that bothers me is the number of people who somehow think it's the fault of the people of OKC*

They have nothing to do with it, of course. They are made the scapegoats. Seems rather short sighted. They should talk to you.

*...but I would be lying if I didn't say that I might enjoy a bit of schenfreude if they continue to go down the drain like they were doing here.*

Only natural, but that satisfaction would probably be more at the expense of Bennett than the fans, right?...but I see your point. Any Sonic devotee would probably be chagrined if the OKC team flourished next year. Kind of like a slap in the face.

*Wow, I had more to say about it than I thought*

Enjoyed reading about it. I haven't followed it at all...in fact hardly aware of it.

*The agreement as I understand it is 45 million now (how much of that will be left after the lawyers are paid off, I don't know) and 30 million in five years if we don't have another team.*

Did I hear right that the name Sonics will be retained by the city...so that if they do get another team, the name will be reinstated. I was listening to a sound bite on the radio and somebody was already talking about the possibility of another team within five years. Seemed so strange to hear that kind of talk so soon.

*At least we've procured a major league soccer team? Now that I would feel okay paying money for.*

Boy, am I out of the loop. You mean we have a professional soccer league in this country? I would probably not be a great soccer fan but I feel bad about not knowing that. And Seattle has a team? If the media would cover it, I might give it a go.

///

*Spanos wants a new stadium for the Chargers but he doesn't want to pay for it himself. I know the costs are great but there is a lot of money in professional sports. They want the fans to pay and then it's not as if they are going to get such a good deal when they go to the game. I don't know the whole story on this issue but I'm skeptical that the fans should have to bear the brunt.*

That's kind of what happened here-everyone got sticker shock. It's not really black and white-when the Mariners threatened to leave a while back, I was one of the people saying don't let the door hit you on the way out because I was appalled that the owners would use that kind of a threat when they hadn't fielded a good team in a very long time and when the present stadium wasn't even paid off, since repeated with Key Arena (in all honesty, the Kingdome was a lousy place to watch a baseball game). I voted against funding, but the city approved it anyway. In retrospect, someone made a sound deal-it's a beautiful ball park and when the builders wanted the city to pay for cost overruns, the city fought back and made them pay for them as was stipulated in the contract. You can still even get cheap seats that are pretty decent. Let's hope that the team can get their act together so it will be worthwhile to go see a game again.

*Alway the biggest losers, it seems. I'm sure there are many die-hard fans who are sick about it.*

That's the thing- it's really not going to affect me, but I feel bad for the true blue fans who were in it all the way. I wish there was a way to fund a new arena, or at least sensible upgrade, without it feeling like you were getting blackmailed somehow.

*Only natural, but that satisfaction would probably be more at the expense of Bennett than the fans, right?...but I see your point. Any Sonic devotee would probably be chagrined if the OKC team flourished next year. Kind of like a slap in the face.*

Oh, totally at the expense of Bennett-just once I'd like to see someone's greed and arrogance come back to haunt them. I hope for the sake of the OKC fans that they don't have to go through what we did, but I'm not hopeful.

*Did I hear right that the name Sonics will be retained by the city...so that if they do get another team, the name will be reinstated. I was listening to a sound bite on the radio and somebody was already talking about the possibility of another team within five years. Seemed so strange to hear that kind of talk so soon.*

It's odd-the city gets to keep the name, colors and record, but I read tonight that he gets to take a duplicate set of banners with him to OKC. I mean, for what? So he can hang stuff that says-Hey! This is what the team, which has a different name and color scheme from the team you see now, did before they got here! Cool! Weird.

*Boy, am I out of the loop. You mean we have a professional soccer league in this country? I would probably not be a great soccer fan but I feel bad about not knowing that. And Seattle has a team? If the media would cover it, I might give it a go.*

You're not the only one out of the loop! :) Soccer is slowly getting it's foothold, although I doubt it will ever be as popular as American football. Not enough ads for beer and not enough people clobbering each other to show how macho they are. Maybe if more soccer players beat up their girlfriends or had dogfighting businesses on the side? I think most Americans don't know how to deal with the game's pace. I'm no great authority, believe me-I just started to pick up some interest last World Cup. Seattle has always had the Sounders, but they were never Major League until this year. After being faced with some pretty ridiculous choices for names-Seattle Alliance or Seattle Republic, I guess enough people complained that they just made them the Seattle Sounders FC (and I couldn't believe the number of people who didn't know-but called themselves fans of the sport-that FC stood for Football Club). I'm looking forward to taking in some matches.

*Of course, it?s not real experience, but the vividness of dreams give us the sense that it is, at least for awhile.*

Like you said dreams are not real experience but when we are asleep and dreaming, that becomes our reality at that moment. That?s why as you?re going to sleep your brain shuts down your muscles to a certain degree so you won?t act out what you are dreaming. When this doesn?t happen correctly you get sleepwalkers and stuff like that (I watch too much Discovery channel ;) ). When I was kid I would get up and roam around the house and never remember any of it. One time I woke up and couldn?t find my pillow. I looked all over for it and then later that day my mom found it in the cabinet underneath the kitchen sink. We had stairs in our house too and I would walk up and down them. My mom would usually wake up and she?d follow me around to make sure I didn?t hurt myself. Most people stop sleepwalking after they go through puberty and I haven?t done it anymore since I was a kid. I do talk in my sleep though but it?s usually gibberish.

One of the funniest instances of that happened a couple years ago. I get up around 5 to go to work and by the time Friday night rolls around I get tired pretty early. So one Friday night my mom and I are sitting on the couch watching some of the forensics shows on Court TV (I know you?re all envious of my exciting life ;) ). I fell asleep but I guess I was still hearing part of the show and they said something about finding a missing person?s abandoned car. I shot straight up, glared at my mom and snapped at her saying ?what did they say about a car??. She knew I was still asleep even though my eyes were open and she explained what they said in the show. Then I sat back down and a few minutes later I woke up. She was giving me a weird look and asked me if I was really awake this time and I didn?t know what she was talking about. I got cracked up when she explained to me what happened.

Your dream about Marilyn was cute, maybe she?ll come back one day. I love my dreams b/c how else would I get a chance to go vintage clothes shopping with Clara Bow, attempt to break my pal Barbara Stanwyck out of prison, tryout for the Astros, get rescued from a sinkhole by George Strait (my second favorite cowboy :x ), and last but certainly not least, all the wonderful adventures I?ve had with Gary :).

As for being a passionate baseball fan, that describes me to a T :). Once I get into something and really love it, I try to learn all I can about it. I even know all the words to *Take Me Out to the Ballgame* which by the way turns 100 years old this year. I love that the song is about a female baseball fan :x.

*Original 1908 Version*

Katie Casey was base ball mad.

Had the fever and had it bad;

Just to root for the home town crew,

Ev'ry sou Katie blew.

On a Saturday, he young beau

Called to see if she'd like to go,

To see a show but Miss Kate said,

"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

"Take me out to the ball game,

Take me out with the crowd.

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,

I don't care if I never get back,

Let me root, root, root for the home team,

If they don't win it's a shame.

For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,

At the old ball game."

Katie Casey saw all the games,

Knew the players by their first names;

Told the umpire he was wrong,

All along good and strong.

When the score was just two to two,

Katie Casey knew what to do,

Just to cheer up the boys she knew,

She made the gang sing this song:

"Take me out to the ball game,

Take me out with the crowd.

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,

I don't care if I never get back,

Let me root, root, root for the home team,

If they don't win it's a shame.

For it's one, two, three strikes, your out,

At the old ball game."

*The guy who wrote it (Jack Norworth) changed the verses in 1927 so there are two versions.*

Nelly Kelly loved baseball games,

Knew the players, knew all their names,

You could see her there ev'ry day,

Shout "Hurray," when they'd play.

Her boy friend by the name of Joe

Said, "To Coney Isle, dear, let's go,"

Then Nelly started to fret and pout,

And to him I heard her shout.

Chorus

Nelly Kelly was sure some fan,

She would root just like any man,

Told the umpire he was wrong,

All along, good and strong.

When the score was just two to two,

Nelly Kelly knew what to do,

Just to cheer up the boys she knew,

She made the gang sing this song.

Chorus

I guess this thread "inspired" me to finally dream about another classic movie

star last night, but what a come down from Clark Gable: James Coburn. Yes,

I actually dreamed I went on a date with James Coburn and what a cheapskate

he was. I also dreamed that I hoped he would never call me again. :P

Weird!

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, is your Coburn dream entitled: "In Like Skinflint"?

Ha ha haaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I was even aware enough in my dream to be disappointed that it was James Coburn and not Gary or Clark. What a gyp.

But how strange that this thread prompted a dream about any actor! Let's keep up the discussion and maybe I'll do better tonight. :D:D:D

Did you mention something about STALLION ROAD on another thread?

I can't find it.

I liked this movie, it was cozy and pleasant. And Zachary was very huggable! (He always reminds me of a cute rat, w/o the tail) Loved the California ranch atmosphere. (I'm an old Spin and Marty cowgirl) I enjoyed the blend of family drama (with the kid) and the more adult pleasures of a romantic triangle, and with that picturesque backdrop and some zingy dialogue.

I'm not really a horse person (they make me as skittish as themselves) but I seem to warm up to them in movies (FLICKA; THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA, etc.) and as befits my Lady status, I'm naturally inclined to the British "horsey" tweedy country set, even if I'd never get on one and ride.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Speaking of felines, don't you wish you were Leona Helmsley's cat right now?

You mean the cat gets something too? I thought she was "shut out" of the will by those calculating pooches....