Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Did you mention something about STALLION ROAD on another thread?

> I can't find it.

>

> I liked this movie, it was cozy and pleasant. And Zachary was very huggable! (He always reminds me of a cute rat, w/o the tail) Loved the California ranch atmosphere. (I'm an old Spin and Marty cowgirl) I enjoyed the blend of family drama (with the kid) and the more adult pleasures of a romantic triangle, and with that picturesque backdrop and some zingy dialogue.

>

> I'm not really a horse person (they make me as skittish as themselves) but I seem to warm up to them in movies (FLICKA; THUNDERHEAD, SON OF FLICKA, etc.) and as befits my Lady status, I'm naturally inclined to the British "horsey" tweedy country set, even if I'd never get on one and ride.

Yes, I mentioned SR in my "Rambles" thread I believe. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet (I have seen it before, though).

Your descriptions are spot on as to why I like it, too. There is something captured of the flavor of that kind of life and place. All those manly plaid shirts. :) And what a brilliant analogy of Zachary Scott! Ha! I do like him so much but does have a bit of a weasel's aura about him, as befit many of his characters. Apparently a very well to do chap in real life (and a Texan, to boot).

And would you ride across your acreage in a side-saddle or astraddle?

Oh, no wait a minute, you're right, it's not a cat, she left her millions to her doggie, and I think to animal relief or something. Well, we know she certainly wasn't a people person. 'GET THOSE SHEETS CLEAN OR I'LL FIRE YOU!!!"

I like your description of Zach even better: weasel, LOL. He gave a lot of money and time to charities, I believe.

No side saddle for me if I were to ride; give me a good pair of jeans and I'm on that horse full throttle, riding away and pretending to fall off so Richard Denning can catch me like he does whats-er-face (God, my memory is GOING) in THE BLACK SCORPION.

And if you think Bill Holden looks good in a trenchcoat....get a gander at Dick.

What's The Black Scorpion about? I may not want to know...only two things send me climbing up the walls: roaches and scorpions and rats...ok that's three things. Black scorpions are supposed to the biggest ones, right? I...would...DIE....if...I...saw...one....EVER.

There was a "stuffed" one in this little museum in Paris I went to and that was enough to send me running out onto the street.

Mara Corday! Whew.

I did a review of THE BLACK SCORPION in the S/F thread. (at least, that's where it should be) Wait, let me find it, I can tell you're waiting with bated breath,

A stuffed scorpion in Paris somehow seems very elegant and romantic, you know, two lovers sit in a cafe drining coffee and smoking cigarettes, and then stroll on over to the museum to look at it. "Ah, c'est magnifique!" C'est noir!"

*When I was kid I would get up and roam around the house and never remember any of it.*

The same thing happened to me. Maybe it's a common thing. For about two weeks in a row, 12 or 13 years old, only there was nightmarish quality to it and sometimes I would seem half-awake and feel bad. But after that two weeks, it didn't happen again. Glad of that, whew!

*Your dream about Marilyn was cute, maybe she?ll come back one day*

I hope, I hope. :) I don't know anythng about dreams. Did I read somewhere that sometimes there is an occurence before bedtime, sometimes quite small and seemingly unimportant, that can determine what one dreams about? Should I look at pictures of Marilyn before I go to bed? Just kidding, I don't want to get creepy, haha. I will allow her be forthcoming on her own accord. (Marilyn, are you there?) ;)

*Coopsgirl*: Oh, I meant to comment about the song. Very nice, there. So women sports fans have a sort of legacy. Who said that the ladies don't watch sports? I wonder what Katie Casey and Nelly Kelly would think about today's game. They might rather go see "a show." ;)

*Bronxgirl* writes:

*And I also know "Who's On First?"*

Really, who?

> Science Fiction.

>

> Here it is. I know you're not really that into this genre, but this will be a welcome relief from torturing Frank. (at least for now)

>

> http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=112403&tstart=120&start=15

"SHUDDER"

That is one movie I will purposely miss.

Are you watching DARK PURPOSE? I wanted to record it because of the gorgeous, Amalfi coast locations and Rossano Brazzi scenery....but it's rather bad. I mean that brunette actress, "Cora", is really bad poor thing.

You can actually see Georgie Porgie Sanders thinking process: counting the money he's making and the minutes before it's time to knock off and enjoy his brandy and soda.

I think "Francesca Grimes" is still looking at The Fountainhead. :P

I had to shut it off....I CANNOT look at those things! Even fake looking ones creep me out completely. Ugh.

What's the name of the dark haired actor...I've seen him in lots of movies, too.

Well, let's face it, scorpions are not cute and cuddly! (but Richard is)

I'm so lax today; I didn't even check the TCM schedule; I'm putting DARK PURPOSE on now. Anything with Rossano and George I'll watch!

Was there a discussion of THE FOUNTAINHEAD; I'm a bit behind on these threads. Wonder what FG thinks of that final scene. (it's so phallic, isn't it?)

Thank you, Bronxgirl, for youtubing the "Who's on First" bit. Am I right? I have to take that on faith since I am still a dinasour and on a dial up line, which cannot handle youtube. We have a person at work who (haha) whenever there is slightest bit of trouble (haha) or confusion, will inevitable say, "Okay, who's on first?" usually to a chorus of groans. Occasionally, someone will say, "What?"

Was there a discussion of THE FOUNTAINHEAD; I'm a bit behind on these threads.

On the Gary Cooper thread, if you can call it "discussion". :P

Wonder what FG thinks of that final scene. (it's so phallic, isn't it?)

I think he'll agree with you. ;)

A bit of trivia on DARK PURPOSE; the exterior of the Count's villa (Rossano's) was photographed at the Villa Cimbrone--one of the most beautiful places ON EARTH. I visited three years ago and have pictures on the terraces where Shirley Jones learns the truth about her beloved Count. It still looks the same.

You can even stay there, Garbo did (there is a plaque dedicated to her visit with her lover, Stokowski or whatever his name was---lafitte will know, he was a famous conductor):

http://www.villacimbrone.com/en/

> Carlos Rivas.

He was a Spaniard? Or perhaps Mexican? He was attractive. Looks a lot like an ex-boyfriend of mine (who is French).

You're welcome, laffite. Yep, that was YouTube, where you can find most anything.

If you listen closely, you'll hear the crew chuckling offscreen as Bud and Lou are doing the routine!

> Mexican.

>

> Ah, you had a French boyfriend. I'm sure you enjoyed many eclairs together, you lucky girl.

>

> Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

;) vive la france!

_*Tennis Anyone?*_

The Williams Sisters at Wimbie Show

Go VENUS!

_*Minya:*_

How goes it? Happen to notice today that the Mariners have the worst record in the American League, and the Padres have the worst record in the National league. :(

Maybe there's something wrong with our coast. The Giants and the Dodgers are not doing so well either. (We'll have to ask the Angels what they're doing right. They'll probably tell us, "Get a good team.")

Maybe that basketball team that your city just ran out of town will be just as happy to escape these coastal environs. ;)

_*Franko:*_

How are you.

*We all get wrapped up in things that really mean nothing in the big picture but they mean a lot in the small.*

Right, practically a clich?. I understand. Still, the crazy emotional tumult of the sports fan seems to me sometimes to be outside the confines of a clich? and needs explanation for an idiot like me to understand. Are there any psychiatrists in the house. ;)

*I actually get more upset now if the teams I dislike win. Now that's a really pathetic statement.*

Haha, not really. It?s part of the sports fan thing. Last SuperB I wanted the Patriots to lose more than I wanted the Giants to win. I consistently wanted the Yankees to lose as a kid. One thing I know about being a sports fan, and that is, it's okay to hate. I hate this team or that player but we don?t really mean it because it?s not reality. We yell, ?Kill the ump.? It?s part of being a fan. (but I think you know all this already, Frank ;) )

*The truth is, their passion for the game had lessened before the strike.*

You weren't referring specifically to me but let me say that this was not the case with me. I LOVED baseball prior to the strike. I was wrapped up into that Series just before the strike. I was rooting for the Braves. I was livid for I don't know how long when Lonnie Smith, a winning run on second, couldn't find the ball hit to the outfield and therefore did not score late in the game, and to see Atlanta lose in the ninth, 1-0. Do you remember that one? I mean I was fulminating for an hour on what an idiot he was blah blah blah. Little did I know at the time that that would be last expression of enthusiasm (if that's the right word, haha) I would ever have (up to the present and still going) for baseball. I remember the Cabrera thing too. I thought every World Series from ?85 to ?93 was thrilling and much of which is still clear in my mind. There was no waning of interest in the game for me.

*I loved the game in the 80s, too. But whenever I watch Classic Sports, I'm blown away by how much slower, less athletic, and less explosive the game was then. The line-ups featured less threats than they do today.*

Perhaps so, but it was a good era, at least for baseball. I?ll take slow, less athletic, less explosive, any day of the week if it means the game is interesting. Maybe this explosive athleticism is not a good thing, maybe it means that the games are more individual rather than team oriented and from where this reliance on artificial means comes. I'm saying, maybe, I don't know.

*What I was attempting to say about the trade-off of less fundamentals for more athleticism has to do with speed and explosiveness*

I don't think I've been close enough to sports in general in recent years to see this, but I don't doubt you at all. The idea of the "trade-off" seems to my mind to apply more to basketball than baseball, but I?m not close enough to it to say. But it seem a bad trade to me, personally. Deliberate fundamental play is more appealing to me than individual "speed and explosiveness."

*Baseball has had many different "compromised" statistical eras and I believe we are smart enough to decipher them without asterisks. Ted Williams and other players lost years off their careers to serve in World War II. It's up to us to factor this in. The late-60s saw the raised pitcher's mound and dominant pitcher's stats. It's up to us to factor this in. The early 1900s witnessed the "Dead-Ball Era" and the 1930 season featured the "juiced" ball. It's up to us to factor this in. There's the game before the color barrier and after, the game before the DH and after, the game before free agency and after. All to be factored in. The rules, the parks, and the equipment have all gone through changes. All to be factored in. There are movies before the Code, during the Code, and after the Code. Ohh, well, you get the idea.*

I appreciate you comments there, Frank, and it is nicely put forth, and very eloquent too, but I would say most of the things, if not all, the ?factoring in? was pretty easy to do in the past. We know instinctively that there will be rule changes, equipment changes, players who will miss seasons for a reason or other. The pitching mound adjustment in the 60s was a conscientious rule change that improved the game. There was little or no controversy. These things happen and we move on and there was probably no discussion whatsoever about the use of asterisks because statistical integrity, though not unscathed, was not abused. Many of those things happened seamlessly as the years passed. But not today or at least less so. When you have people in and around the game---insiders, if you will---who admit to the embarrassment that game of baseball has suffered in the steroids era, then we?re talking of something else again. It is more difficult to ?factor in? such obvious abuses. When I said previously that an asterisk should be placed on all records post 1994, I might have been a little facetious. Applying asterisks won?t change anything anyway, the damage has already been done. So much so, that I?m asked ?to factor in? Bonds? criminality and his cheating and say that his 762 home run may or may not be valid because he cheated. Or his 73 home runs should really have been what?---maybe 55 or 60, whatever---it all becomes very subjective when the whole meaning of statistics should be objective and decisive. The ?factoring in? has become laborious and statistical integrity has taken a beating.

*I believe many who look to use the asterisk are less concerned about the integrity of the game and more interested in brandishing those they deem guilty. I don't believe you are doing this, though.*

Thank you, Frank, you are correct. I don?t reject the game because I?m mad at this person or that, or how so-and-so allowed such-and-such to happen to ruin the game for me. I don?t say, ?Well you guys are idiots and you?ve ruined the game and so I?m not going to watch it any more, so there!!!? Far from it, if I could go back to loving the game and wallowing in the stats, and pining for the playoffs, and relishing the playing of the World Series, I would accept all the faults and all the things I complain about if I could only still enjoy the game, but I can?t. The magic is gone. I?m like a religious person who has lost his faith, and very unwillingly too.

*I must also say that if today's batter stats are to be looked upon with a very discerning eye, and I believe they must be, the opposite must be done for pitchers. Pitchers like Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, and Pedro Martinez should be considered the greatest pitchers who ever graced the mound to have dominated in such an era. I also believe this must be.*

Very good point and maybe an overlooked one. Interesting what stats for these pitchers if their careers were earlier. Scary, even.

//

Message was edited by: laffite