Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

1472443033_4d703d9530.jpg?v=0

Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break I got. Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and I have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans. "Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure I'm lucky. Who wouldn't have considered it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrows? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky. When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat and vice versa, sends you a gift, that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeeper and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies, that's something. When you have a father and mother work all their lives so that you can have an education and build your body, it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed, that's the finest I know. So I close in saying that I might have had a bad break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

Hi *Coopsgirl*

I didn't know that the quote was at the beginning of the speech, I always thought it to be at the very end. When I was a kid, I had an LP that had sports clips, speeches, etc., and the quote was on there, but not the whole speech. It's been many years but I remember the sound of his voice perfectly.

After seeing the picture and the speech, I went to WikiPedia because I wanted to know when he died. You probably already know, June 2, 1941. But I read everything there about Lou. There is a famous picture of Babe Ruth hugging Lou (on Wikipedia), I've seen it a million times...but I did not know until today that the hug occurred on the day of the speech.

I also didn't know before today that the speech was delivered on July 4. I heard it on the radio. Still, I wouldn't have posted the quote had I not remembered some of your recent posts.

The only thing I remember about the movie was when Cooper realized he had something going on with a finger. But it's eons since I saw the movie. In fact, it was when I was a kid. Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig, it's gotta be one of your favorites. How's that for understatement. ;)

Thanks for posting the speech, and picture.

I thought that line was at the end too b/c in the movie they reworked the speech a little and put it at the end.

*Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig, it's gotta be one of your favorites. How's that for understatement.*

You got that right!! *Meet John Doe*, *PotY*, and *High Noon* are all tied for my fave of his. The first time I saw *PotY* was Dec '05 (right after my 'stros played in their first world series :) ). I was still on such a baseball high (even though we lost) that I was watching every baseball movie I could find. I already liked Gehrig but didn't know much about him and the movie came on TCM one night so I decided to watch it. Gary did such a fantastic job, the whole time it seemed more like I was watching Lou instead of an actor playing him. I was so taken with the movie that Lou became my favorite player after watching it. On the bad side though, instead of watching more of Gary's movies, I went on to the next baseball movie :(. Thankfully, when Gary was star of the month in Dec '06, I remembered how good he had been in *PotY* so I decided to watch some of his movies. This time he hooked me for good :x.

It's funny b/c every time I watch *PotY*, it still seems like I'm watching Lou and not Gary. I think it's the best performance he ever gave which is funny really b/c Gary didn't know a thing about baseball. But, I think he captured Lou's personality and spirit better than anyone else could have.

Here are some more of my fave pics of Lou.

louindugout.jpg

*Lou and his wife*

louwithwife.jpg

uchr_06_img0576.jpg

*This was the day his streak ended. He's still smiling :).*

193910.jpg

*Lou's sitting with Dalgren, the young player who replaced him. It's hard to imagine some of the "star" players today taking the time to make a young player feel better especially when they're are going through a rough time themselves.*

louwithdalgrenthedayhissteakended.jpg

*I love this one!! Lou had auditioned to play Tarzan in the movies but Hollywood turned him down saying he was too muscular. Back then players did things like that during the off season since they didn't make nearly as much money then as they do now.*

lg06h6.jpg

What a gorgeous, great guy! Those dimples.......

And he was as perfect a gentleman as he could be. No, they don't make em like that anymore. I doubt they ever did, except once. Then they broke the mold.

Hello my wee crab cake. Ah, thank you so much! Well, it would be more accurate to have the exact time of birth, but 1-ish might make you a Sag rising (in which case you and GG would be a bit more compatible).

However, it might also make you a Capricorn rising, which might make you very successful in business, but less so in the romance department.

But mights aren't good enough; so yes I do need the time on your birth certificate, por favor.

Ariel

Hello my wee crab cake.

Good morn, Princess Ariel!

Ah, thank you so much! Well, it would be more accurate to have the exact time of birth, but 1-ish might make you a Sag rising (in which case you and GG would be a bit more compatible).

Compatible with a Sag? Ha!

However, it might also make you a Capricorn rising, which might make you very successful in business, but less so in the romance department.

Let's go with "less so" in both.

But mights aren't good enough; so yes I do need the time on your birth certificate, por favor.

You are so demanding.

I'm still recovering from EVERYTHING'S DUCKY.

You have your birth time on my desk at exactly noon tomorrow, mister, or I sentence you to daily viewings of UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN for the remainder of your natural (or unnatural) life.

Everything's Ducky. Was that the movie with Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett that I was watching? It should have been called Everything Yucky.....and yet I kept watching......it was fascinating and charming in a weird kind of horrible way.

I'm still recovering from EVERYTHING'S DUCKY.

:D The next TCM film of interest for me is Penelope. There's actually a Linda Darnell film on the way, too.

You have your birth time on my desk at exactly noon tomorrow, mister, or I sentence you to daily viewings of UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN for the remainder of your natural (or unnatural) life.

Uh-oh. That's not good. It could be much, much worse, though. Gary Cooper movies would be a death sentence. :P

gary_cooper_dvd_.jpg

What, he doesn't turn you on?? Don't you have ANY taste?

PENELOPE I don't know anything about. Is that with Natalie Wood and Robert Redford? I might enjoy it; they had good rapport in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Your mother obviously couldn't remember the time because she didn't want to be reminded.

:D I'm sure of that! She said the "afternoon," and then I asked, "one o'clock"? She thought it was around there. She told me she went to her family doctor that day, complaining of back pain. The doc told her she was in labor and sent her to the hospital. I went from a pain in the back to a pain in the...

I HATE THE SIXTIES DON'T PLAY ME THAT!!!!

Groovy, man.

I was tired, so I mistakenly said you were a birth Aquarius. Obviously you are a Sun Virgo, but your Ascendant (rising sign) is Aquarius.

Obviously you are a Sun Virgo, but your Ascendant (rising sign) is Aquarius.

I need some explanations, Star Hustler. What do you got for me?

If you are born under the sign of Aquarius, your closest friend may be a Gemini or an Aquarian. Your romantic attractions may lead you to a Libra or an Aries and you are likely to find conversations and time spent with Leos as challenging and energizing. People who rub you the wrong way will probably be born under the sign of Cancer, Scorpio, Virgo or Taurus, and you will find it hard to understand those who are born under the sign of Capricorn.

Aquarians surely don't look like a match for me, which explains a lot.

If you are born under the sign of Pisces, you are a dreamer and idealist. You are sensitive to the feelings of others and will do nearly anything to avoid confrontation. You judge your success by the approval and love you get from others. The zodiac sign of Pisces allows those born under its sign to see beauty in all things and imbues the soul with poetry and romance.

The Piscean finds it hard to say "no" and will often ignore the right thing to do in order to keep the peace. Those born under Pisces are the most mercurial and changeable of any zodiac sign.

Can't you find me a female fishy? Please!

You are a thinker with a highly trained mind. (guffaw...)

You have Scorpio in your tenth house of career. This means you would make a splendid detective, ferreting out secrets from everyone. You would also feel comfortable working with the dead.

Okay, you've got Aquarius rising: Humanistic, empathetic, more rational than emotional, non-materialistic (yet in some respects you really long for status and power), interested in politics and world affairs. Nothing shocks you. You relate open-mindedly to people from all walks of life.

Pisces in the second house: You'll never have enough money, but since you live in your dreams, that won't matter much.

Aries in the third: You're a bundle of energy in your immediate neighborhood; everyone knows you and you do get around. You feel comfortable in these familiar surroundings, and really thrive best there.

Taurus in the fourth: You might be interested in owning real estate. You wouldn't mind playing lord of the manor, like Cary Grant in MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE. You might get some dough from an inheritance. Your later years will be peaceful and secure.

Gemini in the fifth. Uh-oh. Love affairs come and go. Mainly go.

You're attracted to women who are somewhat emotionally immature and who can't commit. But then, neither can you.

Cancer in the sixth: Watch what you eat. You have a sensitive stomach. It's a good thing you're a meat-and-potatoes guy, because at the first bite of anything "exotic" you might start throwing up.

Leo in the seventh: Well, you're loyal to your friends and you have a lot of them. Any romantic attachments that do miraculously manage to hold on for longer than three seconds will be stable and emotionally rewarding.

Virgo in the 8th: Oh, my God, you"ve got your Sun in the house of death. Don't worry, that just means you are really very intense about life even though you appear passive and weak, and this does give validation to your "old soul-dom". You are obsessed with sex.

Libra in the 9th: Your Moon is in the house of long journeys, foreigners, and higher education. You'll come into contact with people who are different from you, smarter than you, and will want you to go far away. Seriously, it means you are intellectual and will benefit from further schooling, perhaps abroad. You relate to people from all over the world.

We know about Scorpio in the 10th. No wonder you love noir.

Sag in your 11th: This is the house of groups and friendships. So GG might give you a passing glance (but only to say hello) Lots of pals to share sports and travel with.

Capricorn in the 12th: You need to become a workaholic.

Send the fifty bucks to:

Lady Bronxgirl

1948 Scottish Castle Lane

Inverness